Will the media turn on Peyton Manning the way they have turned on Tiger?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by World Peace, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

If you've seen ESPN in the past 2 weeks, you'll realize that there has been an onslaught on Tiger Woods character. So tiger gets in a car wreck, the details were sealed, they say he had a few affairs, his mother in law gets taken to the hospital, and they start treating the guy like OJ simpson.

Did the sports media sense that Tiger woods' career has peaked and then decided to falsify a crisis to generate buzz and even more buzz when he decides to come back?

Everyone I know could careless about Tigers "transgressions". That's his business. Not ours. We like tiger for golf. Nothing else. The media has portrayed Tiger as Jesus Christ reincarnate. Someone who could do no wrong. They show pictures of Tiger with upset faces and show his minor blow up on the course when he hits a bad shot to portray him as a masochistic, short fused, uneven keeled person when that is not the case. Even when Tigers mother in law went to the hospital, some reports alluded to Tiger laying hands on his woman. Is that fair?

Which leads me to my next question:

If Peyton Manning (Or any other A-list sports personality) were to have some "transgressions" after his career has peaked, would the sports media Crucify Peyton the same way they have Tiger?

If you answered no, please explain. I would like additional perspective on this.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Yes. America likes to see celebrities fall. The bigger the celebrity, the better.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. World Peace

Is Peyton on the radar? I wonder who will be next...

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um....

First, we live in a soap opera society. Why do you think house wives watch a gazillion soaps during the daytime? They LOVE drama. Second, Tiger was not only the best golfer in history, but they made him out to be the perfect guy. The best at what he does on the links and the perfect gentleman off the course. They used this to brand his image and he makes a HUGE amount of money because of it. Colin Cowheard was saying Tiger invests (not makes) over $20mil a month...and that's just one investment avenue. The guy is easily the highest paid athlete right now. The bigger you are, the harder you fall.

The thing about the car accident is that it wasn't normal. Then reporters will think of...why or how did this happen. The answer was obvious that all was NOT well in Tiger-land. It was inevitable that reporters would then dig deeper and find out about his infidelity just as his wife had.

The difference between finding out he had an affair and finding out that's he's been a serial cheater with less than high class women is that it wasn't A MISTAKE, but rather his lifestyle...which speaks volumes to his character or the flaws within.

Many people make a mistake...fall in love with a coworker or get drunk one night and make a mistake. That's BAD and many people get DIVORCED over such a mistake. What Tiger has done is 100x worse. It's not a mistake, it's a choice he not only made, but continued to make over and over and over and over again.

If you are making huge amounts of money because of your squeaky clean image and then you're shown to be a womanizing serial cheater, you can be sure the same media that couldn't get enough of you will rip you to shreds. If you wanna sleep around, don't get married and have kids. It's a combo that doesn't mix. We'll see how smart and how much integrity Elin has whether she stay or goes. If she stays for an extra $70mil, what does that say about her?

As far as would they rip Manning or someone else? Yes, but not to the same extent. Simply because Peyton isn't as big a star as Tiger AND because Manning isn't branded as the perfect guy on and off the football field. Manning isn't making 10x his football salary because he's a super guy. Tiger does...except it's more like 100x more than his golf winnings.

The bigger the star, the harder they fall.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. World Peace

Gut, I love the insight. I beg to differ on a few points. Peyton has the same squeaky clean image that Tiger had. Sure, tiger was caught with a few skanks. Did Tiger ask for that squeaky clean image though?

How many professional athletes have never succumbed to infidelity. I'm not condoaning it by any means, but let's talk about a realistic guess. I would venture to say that 30% of all professional atheletes have succumbed to temptation. I personally believe that if you are an athlete, wait till you retire to get married. Why you ask. Let me reply by saying, "Why not?" I would say that the experience of being pro at anything will change you from lets say... age 22 to age 42. You may be a completely different person at those ages. I remember just 5 years ago, when I was making irrational decisions in my life. We all have skeletons in our closet and i wish America and the media would grow up. In the same sense, as a consumer of American media, it's almost like they have left us wanting more. The media loves to make mountains out of mole hills regarding "scandals". Another questions I would like to add to this thread is: "At what point, are scandals going to become stale in American Sports Media?"

Soon, I hope.

Getting back to the Peyton manning part of my initial question. As I said above,
    Sure, the mannings have no track record of scandal, but as far as athletes go, Manning is in the same class as Tiger as far as endorsements, media attention, and image perception (pre scandal). The mannings can do no wrong, or can they? Do the Mannings have skeletons in their closets? Do we deserve to know about it? From a non-partisan stand point, putting your fan allegiance aside, would you want to know about a scandal involving Footballs golden boy? Are the mannings who we thought they were? Are we gonna let em off the hook?

[​IMG]

6. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

No. Only because imo football players are different types of celebrities. Peyton manning is one of the top qbs in the nfl. But tiger is the best on the planet. He is sponsored by nike and also a black dude who says he's not a black dude. lol Cablasian. His impact on the game is alot bigger than mannings. With tiger gone there is no player as interesting or as good. If manning left, there's always a another qb to watch or a rising star. What im saying is that theres always another one in football but never another tiger. So the media feasted upon him buzzards on dead animals.

7. World Peace

It's a new millennium: Hoping for an injury is bad sportsmanship. Hoping for a Media Crisis / Scandal is the new way hoping an opposing teams player is permanently sidelined without looking like a total ahole.

8. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Peyton is a honest boring white guy , it's just not in his nature to do crap the media will feed on. The worst thing he does is prob have pillow fights with Eli.

9. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

btw i think the Colts gonna score on the Broncos today on every drive.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I personally don't care if it's my boy cheating on his woman or if its Tiger Woods, Obama, or Manning cheating on theirs. If it's not me, then it's none of my business. I feel that ESPN is completely wrong for making this such an issue, whether it is or isn't. He's a grown man, so let him make his own decisions good or bad.

I understand ESPN is doing their job by reporting the situation, but he's human and deserves the same privacy you or me would receive.

All I know is that Tiger better be thanking God he didn't meet his mistresses at Dave and Busters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar