Will Vick every play again?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big TT, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Since you really don't know what is going to happen to Vick, I don't know how you can say they aren't being treated the same. Vick could end up a lot worse off than Pacman. He is only a few weeks into this ordeal, and has already been banned from training camp, which will more than likely result in him missing the season. You are wanting some iron clad rule about all of this, but it's impossible. Each situation has to be reviewed and the circumstances taken into consideration. The NFL, like any company, is trying to make a profit, and will do what is best for themselves. Your views are not going to be the same as someone in charge of the NFL. If Pacman played for Seattle, I seriously doubt you would be nearly as passionate about all of this. Many of us even make fun of how many problems the Bengals have had, but when it's in our own back yard, it's a different story.

2. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Out of the 4 defendants listed, who do you think is going to be able to afford the best lawyer to cut the best deal.

My take on how this goes down.

Vick rolls on his buddies and pleads guilty. Either serves a very short time in Jail or receives a suspended sentence. Agrees to counselling, makes a formal apology, donates a wad of cash to ASPCA, PETA etc and agrees to miss the 2007 season. Returns to the NFL in 2008 (with the Falcons or as a Free Agent) and continues to be a crappy QB.

As Hoffa said in an earlier thread, Vick's only saviour will be time. After 2-3 years people will change their thinking of Vick from "Vick the dog murderer" to "Vick the crappy QB who also did something with dogs".

3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Vick might not get a chance to roll on his buddies, though... a couple of weeks before the indictment it sounded like Vick was in the clear. It could be that the feds named the others first and then got them to roll on Vick. Not sure, but it's looking like Vick came too late to the deal-making party to help himself. Still wouldn't be surprised if he pleads out to avoid a very public trial... I'm expecting Goodell to ban him "for life" with the option of being reinstated after 1 year. That way he can look tough without actually being too tough on his star player, and wait until the public outcry has died down to let Vick back in the league.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

5. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Since when does the NFL give out Get-Out-Of-Jail Free cards?
    Since when does the NFL post Just-Me laws?
    The NFL is sending great impressions for our children, 'special people get special treatment'.

It has to stop! If I punch a stripper, such as Pacman did, I would go to jail.
    If I was pulled over for DUI, such as McNair was (1st offense several years ago), I would go to jail.
    If I was caught fighting and killing dogs, I will go to jail.
    The NFL was to live up to common laws and not give waivers because of who these people are. Black, white, Nashville or Atlanta, it does not matter. If they screw up, they pay the same as I would. No more Just-Me laws, everyone pays the same price. Let's get the NFL to send a message to children that no one is exempt when it comes to our laws.

6. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Is there not someplace is these players contracts that state that if they get in trouble and void the contract that money, guaranteed or not, has to be returned?

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

there should be provisions for breach of contract that would void the deal
    not sure how the CBA / Union / Agents / GM's worked that out

8. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Probably not far from what will really happen. Vick has already hired the same lawyer that defended Jayson Williams.

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

As I understand it there are provisions to recoupe signing bonuses, but not salary. I think there needs to be a provision to allow teams to be released from at least part of the salary hit as well if a player is suspended for violating the conduct policy... unless the commish rules that the team failed to properly discipline the player.

10. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Welcome to America where he who holds the biggest sack of cash, can commit the biggest crimes and get away with it.

Only we can teach our own children the right and wrong of it. The NFL can do nothing for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar