Will Vince Young throw at the combine.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titanduck77, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximus

maximus Starter

UT basketball in a NFL draft forum is kinda off the subject:winker: The Vols are doing good...
    back to the draft.....

2. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

sorry but 2nd round pick we need a linebacker such as Chad Greenway of Iowa or Erniesims of FSU

3. TitanGuy

Space between ernie and simms

4. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Ernie Sims will likely be gone by our 2nd round pick.

5. TitanGuy

You neverknow

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Chad Greenway is going to go in the 1st almost positively. Sims will have to have a great combine to be a 1st rounder I think...

7. TitanGuy

if all fails we need Darnell Bing or Michael Huff or Ko simpson huh huh he declared..........................oooh the possabilities

8. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Would love for Simpson to fall, but many have him going in the first.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Let me get this right. A guy can sit home on his butt and be guaranteed $10 million or he can go to the combine and possibly have a bad day and lose $5 million. Considering one of the traits you want in a starting QB is intelligence I would take the smarter guy who opted to stay home.

The combine is a place to showcase your talent. However, if there is no way you can better your draft position by going to the combine it is ridiculously stupid to do so. If you have a bad week for some reason you are giving back big bucks.

10. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

I think the problem is that they are assuming that they can only go down if they go to the combine. They are not taking into account competition. Right now I think there are a lot of scouts that are wary about Leinarts arm strength and mobility and wary about Young's ability to read defenses and become a solid passer. I dont think they are as set in the top 3 as they and most message board posters say.

These are assuming that if they go the combine then they can blow their chances at a high pick. The only way they can do that is if they show these weaknesses to be true and not show their blazing strengths.

By not competing at the combine they are making other top candidates beat them for the top slot. Guys like Cutler, Brick, and Williams now have the chance to have a great combine and maybe push one of these guys out of the top.

For example, if Cutler comes out and impresses with his arm strength and impresses with his agility, personality, or football IQ then scouts may look at him and say "You know. Leinart may be a really good passer, but man this guy Cutler can pass the ball well and he can scramble." And they wont have Leinart there to say "Look guys, I may not be VY but I can move just fine and I can throw better than both these guys." So that the weakness of Leinart are still an unknown risk, where the risk of Cutler, or Brick are at least seen and they can know what they are getting.

In my mind thats not the mindset of a true competitor. Its the mindset of a lawyer (agent). "Dont show, don't screw up, make them guess about your weaknesses."

The mind of true competitor in my mind would be. "Screw it. I'm the best prospect and I'll show you. I'm taking the reins in this thing and am not going to give guys like Cutler or Brick a shot at beating me out of my position."

But thats just my take. :winker:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar