Will Vince Young throw at the combine.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titanduck77, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

A competitor will want to win. The best way to win is to stay home.

It's like if you had a 7 point lead at the end of a game with 2:00 remaining and the other team is out of time outs. Competitor or not, you want to run the ball (or take a knee imo) three times and punt. Sure, you might be able to score, but trying to score could also cost you the game.

2. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

I can agree that a competitor will want to win. And your analogy of a 7pt lead works, except I think its a basketball game instead of a football game. :))

I dont think they are THAT far ahead. Its more like 2:00 minutes left of a basketball game with maybe a 7 or 10pt lead and they are already benching their starters.

Maybe if it was a Laker and Hawks game in LA.... oh wait the Lakers lost that game didn't they. :ha: ... sorry side track...

Seriously, I just think they're being too conservative too soon...

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I think the rose bowl trumps the combine. Every single time. What he did there was beyond the comprehension of man. I don't care how good anyone does at the combine, Young goes 1,2,or 3. There's no reason to compete. He's king of the mountain and nobody can knock him off unless they get a prize fight.

4. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Right now, Bush, Young and Leinhart are easily the consensus for top 3. The only question, right now, is the order. It isn't like they won't work out, they will just do it under their terms. Almost every year the top picks don't work out in every combine. This year is no different.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Titanpride...

Favre like ability for cutler? You mean he likes to take risks and throw interceptions? By draft time cutler's stock will fall below that of omar jacobs who i think will be a better pro. I like cutler but you and others talk about him as if he was carson palmer as a prospect. He is not.

Cutler is not a great passer as you describe him. He does not have a brett favre arm. Certainly enough arm to succeed but a great passer? Where do you get that? People like to knock vince young's throwing style but cutler doesn't have the best footwork in the world and that gun slinger mentality bothers me.

6. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Young's arm is everybit as strong as Cutler and he is a winner.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

leinart really turned me off with his comments after the rose bowl. "i think we were the better team, we just didn't win."

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Leinart kind of shot himself in the foot with me, too, on that one.

I'd still draft him if Young was gone.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

The only players I think can "fall" are Bush and Leinart. Bush falls if the Texans wise up and take D'Brick. Hence, D'Brick is the only player who can push up that high and take #1. Leinart can fall if the Saints take Young and we pass on Leinart and take the remainder of D'Brick or Bush without trading down. Then Leinart is out of the top 3.

No other player is going to impress enough to move into the top spots, because their performances cannot change a team's basic needs.

I understand the evaluators' desire to see all players participate. It's kind of an AYSO mentality - everyone plays, or at least that's what they want.

But still, the Combine is part dog and pony show. Bush, Leinart and Young don't really need to show up except to interview.

10. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

I would have to disagree with that. I think Cutler has a quite a bit stronger arm than Young, but Young's arm is plenty strong.

Right now I think Young is a more Athletic Steve Mcnair with less passing ability. Which means to me that he has a great chance of becoming a newer, improved model of Steve Mcnair. Definitly a strong choice for your franchise.

I think a lot of people here and other places are dismissing Cutler too quickly. The notion of comparing Cutler to Lienart or young based on stats, winning percentages, or titles is strongly flawed. Each of these measures are measures of team's performance. I don't know of anybody that would have said Vandy was or is as good as USC or UT (longhorns of course).

But if you want to analyze a single player you have to break down the abilities. the hard part is you really cant use stats to back up those break downs, because again you get into team performance over player's abilities. So the arguements get rather subjective. When i try to break down a qb's abilities I look at accuracy, athletic ability, mobility, football iq (including the ability to learn and adapt as well as read offenses), arm strength, charisma, and leadership abilities.

When it comes to accuracy I say Lienart has the strong edge. Then Cutler, then Young. This is not to say Young has bad accuracy, he doesnt. but you rarely see him fitting passes into tight spots or making phenomenal plays with his arm.

Athletic ability definitly goes to Young, then I would say Cutler, then Leinart. Now, people really harp on Leinart about athletic ability. I think he is very athletic, just not as athletic as the other two. young's ability is obvious. Cutler can also scramble (he actually plaed both saftey and qb in hs and was turned down other college offers because they wanted him as a saftey)

Mobility- This isnt quite the same thing as athletic ability, but close. I think the ranking would be the same. (for example Shaq is defintly athletic- I dont think anyone would call him especially mobile)

Football Iq- this is where again a place where Leinart shines. I think Cutler would be second and young third. PPl really take exception to saying young is third here, but they ran a very simple offense in college. Yeah it was very effective, great. But still means he is behind on his ability to read defenses and overall football iq. The titans staff really liked how cutler took to instruction, plus he went to vandy and got a solid degree-commmunity and orgnizational developmetn or something like that (I should know better because I almost got went there for their master's level equivelant until my wife and I both got into a school in cali- :)

arm strength- I think Cutler comes out top here, then young then Leinart and most scouting reports agree with that. This is probably Lienarts greatest weakness- I dont know how much of one it is though.

charisma- this is where Young really shines, more than athletic ability in my mind, then I would put Culter and then Lienart (largely because of his comments after the rose bowl

Leadership- This is more difficult. I would probably put young first and then cutler and Lienart close or tied....*shrugs*

So as you can see in my analysis these three candidates are all strong potential candiates...The difference is more in you taste in a qb than in abilities.

I see Young with the most potential and risk. Cutler as the most balanced and Leinart as the most nfl ready and safe pick.

thats how I see it anyway :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar