Will Warren Moon make the HOF

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Chamging my mind a little...

I made the comment that moon should be a lock because of his 49K passing yards. Well guess what, drew bledsoe has 43K yards and may very well reach or surpass that before his mediocre career ends and there is no way bledsoe ever deserves to get in. Mcnair would be more deserving.

When evaluating a player like this we need to look at who is in the hall, how many of them are there and who is not in the hall. Championships are a major criteria with only 5 of the 21 modern QBs in the hall who never won an nfl championship. Of those who did not win two went to the super bowl a multiple number of times. Tarkington(3) and kelly(4). Nobody can say those guys were not winners. YA tittle never won a championship but played in three straight nfl championship games. We can also note that two good QBs who won championships are not in the hall. Jim plunkett won 2 super bowls and he is not there and ken stabler is not there and neither are probably hall caliber.

I guess what i'm saying is that with 21 inductees in 75+ years this is a very exclusive club. More exclusive than we normally think. Since moon is obviously not the same caliber as a unitas or montana we need to look at the worst QBs in the hall and make that comparison.

Clearly the worst QB in the hall of fame is norm vanbrocklin who did win a title in 1960 but who had more ints than TDs in his career and threw for a paltry 23000 yards a fiqure that wasn't over whelming even for his era. I think it is safe to say that vanbrocklin doesn't belong there and that moon has better qualifications. The 2 QBs moon most resembles are marino and jurgenson both great passers who are in the hall mainly because they threw for a lot of yardage. Moon obviously isn't marino's equal but is comparable to jurgenson.

Conclusion, moon deseves to get in the hall but barely. Maybe not on the first ballot.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Shouldn't Moon's CFL stats be worth something?

3. moose4now

moose4now Starter

They are as far as I'm concerned.

He dominated in both leagues.

He's a lock.

4. I think he's a lock to get in, just not a lock for his 1st year.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I just thought of something...

Warren moon is black!

He would be the absolute first black QB to make the hall of fame in the modern era. And unlike a cunningham or williams he has the credentials. Who wants to vote down a trail blazer?

And his color does pertain to his career at edmonton. After all it is because nfl teams disrespected his ability as a QB that he went to canada. Here was a kid with good size, very good athlete and an absolute gun for an arm! He played major college ball and won at washington leading them to a rose bowl win over michigan and was named mvp in that game. He had first rd qualities but wasn't even drafted. Anmd that was a time when the draft went 12 rounds. Not even drafted! What a load of crap that was! And man did he ever show them that too. He was at edmonton for 5 years and won the grey cup every single year. He is in the top 5 in all the top cumlative passing stats. Yards, TDs etc. How would he rank if he got to start sooner in the nfl?

Thank goodness that whatever cancer was clouding the eyes of the nfl back then has been removed. Now guys like mcnair, mcnabb and culpepper have teams coveting that type of QB and the only concern is how well a guy can play and not what color he happens to be.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Roll makes a good point.

7. jdee

jdee Guest

I hope so. He certainly has the stats to go. It would have been nice to get to an AFC Championship game or Super Bowl. The infameous Buffalo game will haunt him forever.

JDee

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

HE was to Houston what Manning is to the Colts.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jdee...

I'm sure that buffalo game does haunt him. He remembers it every day. But not because he was the reason they lost. He put 38 points on the board. How often is that not enough to win a playoff game?

The run and shoot offense did help him put up bigger numbers in his career but it was also the worst offense on earth for winning in the playoffs. Nobody went to the super bowl with that offense.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

your kidding?:ha:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar