Welcome to goTitans.com! Log in or sign up to be a part of the best Tennessee Titans fan site available.

Williams ready for first kick returns

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Oct 30, 2013.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. Titans Insider Titans News

Wide receiver Damian Williams has never returned a kick in a regular-season game before – in college or the pros – but he doesn’t sound nervous about taking over that role for the Titans.

Williams will be the Titans’ kick returner and punt returner going forward, following the team’s bye-week decision to release Darius Reynaud.

“I’ve practiced it every day and I’ve done it in the preseason,” Williams said of returning kicks. “So it’s not like it’s something totally new that I haven’t practiced. I just haven’t got a chance to do it in the game.”

Williams, who returned punts collegiately at USC, sounds as if he has his priorities in order when it comes to the return game.

“The most important thing is just securing the ball, making sure you make the catch first before you run – because things come so fast that you sometimes want to get out of there before you secure the ball,” Williams said. “Then it’s just making good decisions. If you’re coming up for the ball, make sure you come up for the ball. You can’t be indecisive.”

Titans coach Mike Munchak said Williams’ intelligence should serve him well as a returner.

“He makes good decisions,” Munchak said. “He handles himself well. He’s excited about it. And the most important thing is that it’s not, `Oh no, I’m doing this.’ He really is excited about the opportunity to make a difference in that area.”

Munchak said that if Williams were to get hurt, the team would consider Alterraun Verner and Kendall Wright as punt returners, and Michael Griffin and Jackie Battle as kick returners.

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

Attached Files:

2. The Hammer Out for a rip

Matthews 2
    Moolah:
    $126,790
    Was that a shot at Reynaud?

I think Griff was tried returning kicks as a rookie. Anyone remember?
  3. Titanup1982 Pro Bowler

Washington
    Moolah:
    $23,699
    Don't worry Williams, the ball will go out the endzone.
  4. Ensconatus Namaste

Brown
    Moolah:
    $24,650
    For sure lol.
  5. steverife Starter

Wright
    Moolah:
    $5,931
    Jackie Battle as kick returner? Someone would die, at about the 15 yard line.
    titan520 high fives this.
  6. Ensconatus Namaste

Brown
    Moolah:
    $24,650
    Wouldn't be terrible. Plus as the backup he fills in the extra blocking role well
  7. steverife Starter

Wright
    Moolah:
    $5,931
    I know he is basically our #1 receiver now, but Kendall Wright seems like he would be such a threat at PR.
    The Hammer high fives this.
  8. Dman Starter

McNair
    Moolah:
    $8,206
    considering how bad our run game has been I would love to see CJ return kickoffs. I think he could do a good job and he has experience from college so I say why not!
  9. SawdustMan Pro Bowler

Bishop
    Moolah:
    $15,155
    I agree. I don't think you can sit around worrying about your starters getting hurt on kick return duties. If they're the best man for the job then they're the best man for the job and should be out there IMO. It could be the difference in a W versus a L.
  10. ImATitan Starter

Brown
    Moolah:
    $8,071
    I remember Griffin returning a few kicks in his rookie year yea.. He was pretty good at it too.

Please D-Will, just be smart about this. No more kick returners costing us points.