Williams Signs with Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

The word is "realist". I hate it too, but darned logic is always putting a damper on things.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I'm in the "why not" camp on this one but don't see how he can help us that much. He's a tweener and doesn't even have good hands.

When i read SEC's bit about chow working a miracle i laughed. What the hell then let's get sultan mccullogh and kareem kelly. 2 former USC players who didn't make it in the nfl. At least they have speed.

Auburn fans remember a player named lawyer tillman right? Same type of guy. Big huge stud WR in college who was also an nfl bust.

How many of you guys know that chow has a doctorate in special education? Yep BYU in 1978. If chow can't get the most out of a dumb player no one can..

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Separation...

I think oakland gave up on williams after just a few weeks because he just can't get separation. After watching him week after week fail to get open in practice even against safties and backups they realized he had little potential even if he could catch the ball.

Kiffin is a also a USC guy and chow guy and he said the hell with him. You don't give up on big time talent like that they obviously felt he had little potenital.

Mike willians isn't some big time talent who just needs an attitude adjustment.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

In Williams work out the Titans were impressed with his speed of all things. We might as well hope for a miracle and that Williams becomes at the very least a decent #2 WR for us. He didn't cost us a draft pick, can't be making great money and on paper anyway he has some physical skills.
    I was hopefull that guys like Jones and R. Williams would step up this year but it obviously hasn't happened and right now I don't see much of a future for those guys on the Titans. Maybe they can at least get out of M. Williams what they are getting out of Gage so far. Gage was a guy going no where before coming to the Titans who may have salvaged his career.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

In regards to Kiffen, the Raiders and the media.. yeah. You didn't really counter or shore up the whole "4 qb's is a good idea" thing... listen man, if I thought you didn't have anything worthwhile at all to offer I wouldn't bother. I just think your remarks about Kiffen are silly.
    He might not be all that terrible. Have you had numerous opportunities to watch him? Do you closely follow the Lions and have you watched the Raiders this year? Don't you think that our coaches know exactly what they have on their hands? Don't you think that they have seen tape of practically every down the guy has ever played?

Hey, I agree with you that the likelihood of Williams panning out is pretty slim. I've said as much in previous posts. However, for you to assume that you have a better feel for where some guys are that haven't even seen the field is just crazy talk. We aren't the coaches. They know more than we do. That is an absolute. They are the ones that have decided to bring this guy in so we as fans might as well be warm and enthusiastic to the idea.
    That's just a difference of opinion I guess. Didn't I touch on the message that gets sent to the other guys when you sign a draft bust and he outperforms everyone else? What if that's the case? It could have a great effect. How would you like to lose your job in the NFL to ****ing Mike Williams? That's raw. Don't you think the rest of the unit will pick it up?
    Tommy Maddox has a SB ring you know... anyways, the point is no one thought he could play and during the 2002 season when he was a starter he won them alot of ball games. Then he came to Nashville and got squashed like a bug. Bottom line: No one expected Maddox to do anything at all and he took his team to the play-offs in 2002. These things happen sometimes. The notion that Maddox's best days were in the XFL is crazy. Maddox's played in the NFL's post season and today he wears a ring. There is no comparison.
    You don't know what Mike Williams routines are and if they are as as bad as you say he wouldn't even get a look from Tennessee. The guy is under contract. He might turn things around. There is no use in being unhappy about it.

The Terrell Owens Argument: Did you post on or read this forum back when T.O. was at odds with Reed in the "ill"-a-del? People on this board swore up and down that Owens was a total cancer, that he would ruin whatever team he joined... that he was a waste of cap room etc... well look at him now... do I even have to go any further or does his standout performance with Dallas speak for itself? The unexpected does happen from time to time. Just as it happened with Owens and Maddox perhaps it can happen with Williams.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I have little faith this will work out but this is about potential with little risk tied to it.

Let him sit, watch and learn the rest of the season and show some commitment by losing weight and riding the pine. Show him the Titans are willing to commit to him if he's willing to rededicate himself and return to OTAs around 220 lbs. and in shape. Make him earn himself a roster spot in camp. Nothing guaranteed.

He has 4.5 speed if he can work himself back towards 220 lbs.

7. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

Earlier this year the Raiders were already playing much, much better ball than they were all last season. While having 4 QBs is questionable, Kiffen has been putting a halfway decent product on the field so far this year. If you paid any attention to Raider football, you would have realized that

Uhh...given that I live in Chicago and got to see Williams twice a year at minimum when he played the Bears, then yeah, I have had several times to watch him. I think our coaches must know what they have on our hands. Im sure they watched the film. Doesnt mean they didnt see a guy who is slow and drops everything. This is a low risk-high reward situation. Them bringing him in doesnt mean that they "see" something real good in him that other teams havent. We are in a last-resort situation right now.

Out of curiousity, were you wanting Vince to start last year once Kerry Collins proved that he sucked? Vince had no starting experience and Kerry had been to a Super Bowl. Mike Williams has proven time and time again that he's not good and lazy. Ealy and P. Williams deserve a shot over this bum, and you know it.

Its clearly impossible to lose a job to Mike Williams. He couldnt even get the ball in Detroit, where Martz loves using receivers, and he couldnt get the ball in Oakland, where its not like Jerry Porter and Ronald Curry are all-pro.

How many times did Maddox throw the ball in that Super Bowl? You do realize that he was 3rd string, dont you? LOL at that weakness, man. That was pathetic. Maddox actually WON his ring in the XFL, and MVP. Hundreds of QBs play in the postseason. That means nothing, and so does his ring that he did basically nothing to help win.

No use in getting your hopes up, either. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment later--even if you do realize that this is a no-risk situation.

Wow....you're comparing Terrell Owens--one of the most physically gifted receivers in the league--to Mike Williams. Do you even watch football?

8. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Anyone know his official weight right now? NFL.com still has him listed at 229 lbs., which was his combine weight.

9. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

surprisingly enough, he weighed 229 at his pro day

40 speed means basically nothing, though

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar