Wilson passes one test, faces another

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

The importance of veteran depth at the safety position will be on display again this weekend for the Titans.

Against Houston’s talented tight ends last week, the Titans’ third safety, George Wilson, was on the field for 40 snaps – up from just three snaps in the opening week. Wilson’s primary responsibility was defending tight end Owen Daniels, and according to Pro Football Focus, Wilson didn’t allow Daniels a catch on two targets. He also disrupted Daniels’ route-running during some pass plays.

“That was a match-up our coaches wanted to put me in, to match me up with Owen Daniels for most of the game,” Wilson said. “I was able to be physical with him, disrupt their passing game and limit some of his targets.”

Wilson’s reward is a date with San Diego’s Antonio Gates, the Chargers’ Pro Bowler who’s averaged 17 yards per catch on 10 receptions this year.

“He’s very agile, he’s athletic, he’s creative in running his routes and he has great hand-eye coordination,” Wilson said. “The way him and Philip have been playing together for so long, they can kind of communicate in an unspoken language.”

Facing quality tight ends is one of the primary reasons the Titans signed Wilson during the offseason.

“Here we go with another All-Pro tight end,” Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray said. “So George, you may have to pick the (short) straw again.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. TitansMVP

TitansMVP Starter

As long as they put Wilson on the TEs and not Pollard, I'll be happy. If they put Pollard one on one with anyone, we'll be doomed.

3. rodgev

rodgev Starter

Pollard is a smallish Linebacker will lay the wood but please dont let him cover.... I would like to see him blitz a bit

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Like when Owen Daniels scored on Pollard? Dude can't cover.

5. TitansMVP

TitansMVP Starter

He sure can't, that is his weak spot. He is strictly a in the box safety. Keep him in zone if anything.

6. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

This is awesome because it means we are at least going to attempt to cover a TE for once.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I remember seeing Wilson out there and breaking up a pass but didn't know he played 40 snaps. That's pretty impressive since he was covering a main target of Schaubs. If he covers Gates this weekend he'll match up nicely with any of the TE's we face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar