Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Gear' started by NYTitansFan, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Are those widgets I see?

I can't wait to see the next Apple/PC commercial where the PC guy is dressed up like the Mac guy and tries to talk like him.

2. Yes, MS coppied Dashboard. But in fairness, Apple "stole" it from a program called Konfabulator.

And where did Konfabulator get the idea originally? Apple... :yes:

MS took a number of other things from OS X, which is basically the history of Windows. They have always copied Apple, ever since the first Mac with the 1st graphical user interface. Not that Apple hasn't occasionally taken things from Windows in the past, mainly back in the pre-OS X era, but Microsoft cares more about making money than innovating.

3. I doubt Vista will be much of an upgrade over XP. It's basically XP SP3. They did throw on a nice (Mac-like) user interface, but that may be like putting makeup on a pig...

If you are fine with your current computer, don't rush out and buy Vista. It's not really any huge leap forward. And any new OS needs time to get the kinks out, especially one from MS...

Also, if you do buy it, never buy the retail version. You can get the full OEM version online for half the price.

4. He's talking about how MS put a ton more DRM control in Vista. They are doing whatever they can to make it hard for pirates (and thus all regular users) to deal with multimedia files. It's all in an effort to get in good with the music labels and movie studios.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/28/vista_drm_analysis/

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I noticed your running an old xp2500 chip & a gig of ram.

Are you able to run Vista at full capability or is it down-tweaked a little? I'm running an xp3200 & a gig of ram.

Got a copy of it bundled with a new notebook but I don't fancy running it until they bring out a SP1.

6. You can also go out and download a surely-not legal copy of OS X Tiger (if you have a DVD burner) that runs on non-Apple hardware. Sadly, I can't tell you where to get it (for legal reasons, of course).

7. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Im not to impressed, ill keep my XP and stay content

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

What I don't get is that nobody is talking about Vista being the first mainstream OS with 64bit support if you discount the *******ized Windows XP 64bit (there seems to be confusion as to whether OS X Tiger is actually 64bit or not, so I'm assuming it isn't until it's verified).
    Of course this isn't really a big thing to the casual users who only use the computer to surf the web, but people (like me) working with graphics, video, etc. it's a huge bonus.

9. With Vista, I just think it is expected. After all, they already came out with a 64-bit version of XP.

Tiger is not fully 64-bit. I'd call it 64-bit capable, since it can take advantage of 64-bit processors and software, just not completely. You can expect Leopard to be fully 64-bit.

Hell, I was a Mac user with their 1st generation of PowerPC processors and it took forever for them to make their OS completely PPC-native. It was pathetic. But those were the dark days at Apple, and now things are different.

10. NYTitansFan

NYTitansFan Guest

i do have fairly old parts in my current computer but vista still runs extremely well i can multi task with out a problem. i will be makeing a new computer with a 64 bit processer in it. aslo i should get two of those video cards so ill have SLI enabled. im also getting a samsung spinpoint 180gb sata hdd but its out of stock so its no shown

heres the specs.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar