With a Number of Moves, Titans Under Cap

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: With a number of moves including not exercising a $50 million option for QB Steve McNair or an option bonus with QB Billy Volek, the Tennessee Titans are below the salary cap. If the NFL extends the CBA over the next three weeks, the team will be in even better cap shape. The move with McNair will make him a free agent after the '06 season. Volek will become a free agent after the '07 season. Other moves today include not exercising an option with LB Peter Sirmon making '06 his final year. The Titans renegotiated G Benji Olson's deal, extending it by four years. RB Travis Henry also had his contract renegotiated. The team extended T Michael Roos' contract by one year and FS Lamont Thompson's by three. CB Pacman Jones' contract was also extended by a year. Tenders were extended to all exclusive rights and restricted free agents.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

LaMont by 3 years?

3. All they did was pick up his option bonus, though I don't think they should have personally.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I'm no cap expert but isn't restructuring a lot of contracts into the future what got us in this mess in the first place? I'm specifically thinking of Benji Olson, unless he took a significant paycut, I can see us just pushing his pay into the future...

5. vnomus2

vnomus2 Camp Fodder

I really don't understand keeping L.T. either. He was pretty horrible last year. There was definetly a good reason he was cut by the Bengals when they were bad.

6. "Restructuring" doesn't have to mean converting base salary into guaranteed money.

Thus far, the Titans have not announced that they have done that with anyone's contract. Olson, for example, essentially agreed to a new contract.

7. Woody81

Woody81 Camp Fodder

I thought we would part ways w/ LT and Sirmon

8. metal957

metal957 Starter

So how much are we under now?

9. Bennett83

Bennett83 Guest

50 cents knowing Reese.

Let's assume for a minute that there will be a new CBA agreement. If there is they could still alter this years cap right? Let's assume the answer is yes. Since we are under the 94 million dollar cap and the new CBA would change that to around 105-110 million. that would give us somewhere between 11-16 million in room. Do you think Reese has preplanned room for the draftees? If so, we would have even more room. Right?

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Thats one thing I don't like about this team, we hang onto players who don't have what it takes or are over the hill for too long based on their potential or loyalty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar