With Help of Mawae, OL Penalties Down

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Penalties have been down so far this season for the Titans including the offensive line with only eight for the current starting unit. The reason is concentration, technique and some help from their 13-year veteran C Kevin Mawae who has built a relationship with the referees. "You want to have a good rapport with all the referees in the game," Mawae explained. "If it’s tight or questionable or iffy, hopefully, because you have a good rapport with them, the call will go your way. I make it a point to know who our referee is and who our umpire is every game, and over the course of 13 years, you get to know most of the guys and they know you by first name, and you call them by their first name. They give you the courtesy of, ‘Hey, Kevin, I let you go on that one. You’re going to have to clean it up a little bit.’ It’s a professional courtesy for the respect you have in the league and the respect that you give them."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Roos has the most penalties, which is about what you'd expect from a LT. I believe three of them were against Freeney in Indy, but he didn't allow a sack in that game, which is OK.

Roos - 3 false starts, 1 hold
    Olson - 1 fs, 1 hold
    Mawae - 1 fs
    Stewart - 1 pf
    Bell, Piller, Amano, Loper - no penalties

3. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

this is good

4. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Getting rid of Hartwig for Mawae was probably the best improvement made last offseason.

5. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Piller's absence hasn't hurt either.

:bully:

6. Pit Bull #53

Pit Bull #53 Guest

Yeah Roos looked a little jumpy vs. Freeney. Can't say I blame him, it was his first time matching up against him, plus it was at Indy with their noise and their turf.

I also agree that Mawae has been a very welcome addition to this team. Big improvement over Hartwig. I'd imagine Mawae makes the correct line calls 99% of the time as well. Good to have a guy like that when you have a few young guys on the OL.

7. smili

smili Starter

If I recall Roos's hold was against Freeney and it was a "good" penalty if ever there was one as VY would've been killed otherwise.

8. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Yeah I'm suprisingly pleased with how the o-line has played but I still believe we need a player or two. And not just reguler decent players I want a top free agent and college prospect for next year and that goes for the d-line as well. It all starts in the trenches if ur bad in the trenches everything else is takin down with it.

9. smili

smili Starter

Agree. I think we have to draft another o-lineman this year, and for sure a high DE pick of free agent is needed.

10. IndyTitan

IndyTitan So Peter...

Seems like things turned around as soon as Piller left the picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar