With the 30th pick in the '09 NFL Draft...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Ubiq, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

In 2005, he was arguably our best offensive lineman. Now that certainly doesn't mean he was playing at a high level.

Hopkins was old (LT), Pillar tore a bicept and Bell was so-so (LG), Olsen was pretty good (RG), and Roos was a rookie that struggled(RT).

This year Hartwig wouldn't dress if he was on the Titan's 53 man roster, because our OL is just awesome.

2. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't ever remember Roos struggling.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Funny...

Are you talking about the Tennessee Titans in the NFL? Hopkins in his last year was better at LT than Hartwig is RIGHT NOW! Hopkins was only a touch above average his last season. Roos was fine his rookie year though certainly not the level he's at now. Bell was slightly better than Hartwig but at least he got better during the year. Face it man, he was our worst OL-man the entire time he was here. And he most certainly would dress (though not start) if he were here now. He'd be a good backup OC...but that's not saing a whole lot.

Gut

4. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

DHB has reportedly been clocked in the 4.2s numerous times in the past week.

Lock for a top-10 pick if that happens.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

No...

Lock for the first rnd? Yes. Lock for top 10? No.

Scouts will question even more why he didn't put up big stats if he is so much taller and faster than everyone else......

And who has been clocking him with these numerous 4.2's? Is it an electronic timing or handheld?

Gut

6. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Handheld I'd assume.

If this cat runs in the 4.2s with his size, he'll be top-10 pick. He's 6'3, 215. Some idiot like Al Davis will take him with no questions asked.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Tyrone Calico was 6'4" and ran around a 4.33 40 at about 220lbs. Didn't make him a top 10 pick NOR a first rnd pick.

Gut

8. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Who cares what Calico ran? He didn't run in the 4.2s so your attempted point is irrelevant. I said if he runs in the 4.2s.

Plus, Calico wasn't a border-line 1st round prospect before the draft, Gut. He was a 5-6 round guy whose shot-up due to a great combine. So, that argument holds zero water. Comparing apples to oranges.

What about Troy Williamson?

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The point is?

So let's suppose DHB runs a 4.29 instead of an expected 4.35. You think that extra .06 seconds is gonna vault him past Crabtree or Maclin when he doesn't have the production, route running, or hands and is already viewed as a boom or bust type?

First, I doubt he breaks 4.30. Second, I think it gets him into rnd 1 but not the top 10. Is he vaulting over Crabtree? Over Maclin? I don't think so. Maclin is considered to be the best WR playmaker in the draft with low 4.3 speed so why would anyone take DHB over him? And everyone agrees crabtree's the best WR in the draft...so he's not jumping over him. You think 3 WR's go in the top 10? No way!

What about Troy Williamson? He was a gamble which the Vikes took. He was considered a late first to second rnd player depending on what you were looking for - but his fast (though over 4.30) speed didn't make him a LOCK to go into the top 10. It locked him into the first rnd, but that's it. He was considered the best deep threat in the draft...not because of his combine #'s, but because he was unstoppable vs SEC talent. He avg'd OVER 19 ypc in a Lou Holtz offense and was the ONLY real deep threat on the team...so scouts felt he could be a dominant deep threat in the NFL too BECAUSE his combine validated what they thought...he was FAST. DHB hasn't done that against that kind of talent. Furthermore, even DHB DID break 4.30, why wouldn't you then question why his production wasn't MUCH better considering he'd be SO much bigger and SO much faster than college players. If he couldn't whip college players like Moss did, what would make you think he'd do it in the NFL?

The point for Calico is very valid...especially if you wanna bring up Williamson - who also didnt run in the 4.2 range.

At his size, Calico is the fastest WR recorded at the combine since I can remember. I think there are only 2-3 players over 6' faster than him and barely so. So a WR who's clearly bigger (at 223lbs), taller (at 6'4) and faster provides quite the top 10 athleticism. And that is your point, right? If you're bigger, stronger and faster, you should be a top 10 pick. In reality, it certainly doesn't guarantee you anything. Here's a quiz...where did the wr's who ran a 4.2 40 get drafted? Did any of them get drafted in the top 10? If not, why would running a little faster not only bump up DHB into round 1, but into the top 10?

Of course it's possible someone could gamble on him like they did Williamson, but 2 factors say NO. First, the Williamson thing didn't work out so well. Second, and much more importantly, this draft has a ton of talent at very important positions...with as many as 4 LT's and 2-4 DE's and at least 2 WR that are better than him...not to mention 2 franchise QB's...not to mention the one very good DT or the plethora of very good LB's...there is too much top 15 talent to gamble on a guy like DHB in the top 10. Then again, some teams drafting in the top 10 are dumb - which is half the reason they are picking there. On the other hand, Matt Millen's not running anyone's show!

Gut

10. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Hey now, were no better than that "idiot Al Davis" we take combine work out freaks like it's going out of style.

DHB didn't put up big numbers at Maryland because they sucked and had a weak offense. I'm not sure if he will be on the board when we pick but if he is I'm not sure I would want him as of now, still undecided on who I want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar