With the 30th pick in the '09 NFL Draft...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Ubiq, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I wouldn't either but I'd rather look for a guy who could be another Steve Smith or Torry Holt.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I would take a chance on percy harvin with the 30th pick. He is on almost everyones top 30 list.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Hey...

What in particular don't you like about these guys...specifically Raji?

Gut

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Let's review. We have no shot at Crabtree and probably not MacLin either. If I understand you correctly, you don't want a fast, explosive playmaker who can change field position ala Chris Johnson but would rather have a bigger and slower WR to 'stretch the field?'

Given our type of offense, it makes sense to have Harvin able to come in as a slot and give us explosive plays on limited touches while he learns to be a dominant wr and he can also play RB and give a dual threat on 3rd down to create mismatches when CJ is tired.

If he didn't have injury concerns, he's a top 10 pick for sure!

He's the perfect kind of player for our offense if we're still gonna be built around Fisher ball...dominant d, strong running game, pass when you need to. He could fall to us due to injury concerns...but ask Minnesota how Adrian Peterson is working out for them....

Gut

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Teams that could use a francise QB...

Detroit
    Browns
    San Fran
    (Buffalo)
    Jets
    (Chicago)
    (TB)

Teams in () either could use an upgrade or a qb of the future.

We're not trading up to get a franchise QB and with Stafford and Bradford, it makes no sense for Sanchez to come out this year. He'd be going against the Heisman trophy winner and QB of the just previous #1 team and the highest scoring offense in College history with prototypical NFL size and great accuracy....and Stafford who is arguably the best package of arm, size and...arm. Does Sanchez really wanna compete with that or see if he can win a National Championship next year?

Gut

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

FYI, Keglar is listed on the depth chart behind Bulluck on the right side (WLB), not Thornton's (SAM).

For whatever that's worth...probably not much.

Gut

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Uh oh...

You wanna spend ANOTHER 1/2 rnd pick on a rb? We only play one of them at a time....

Gut

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Let's take a look at research...

Harvin, in an injury plagued year, had 40 catches for 645yds (16.1 avg) and 7 TD's. He also had 70 rushes for 659 yds (an astounding 9.4 avg) and 10 td's. Combined that's 1304 yds and 17 td's in 12 games. And he didn't just beat up on the weak teams...

vs Miss he had 13 catches for 186 yds and 1 catching TD along with 10 carries for 82 yds and a rushing TD. By my calculations, that's 268yds of offense and 2 TD's on 23 touches vs a good team. WOW!!!

vs LSU he had 6 catches for 112 yds (18.7 avg) and 2 td's along with 2 carries for 13 yds. 125 total yards and 2 TD's on 8 touches.

vs Georgia he had 3 catches for 52 yds (17.3 avg) and 1 catching TD and 4 carries for 37 yds and 1 rushing TD. 7 touches resulting in 89 yds of offense and 2 TD's. IMPRESSIVE!

Vs Oklahoma (#1 seed) he had 5 catches for 50 yds and 9 rushes for 121 yds and a TD. 171 yds of offense and 1 TD on 14 touches in the biggest game on the biggest stage. Did I mention he was only at 90% in the game?

I understand that you're looking for a prototypical WR to star opposite Gage. But there are 2 problems with that...first, the Titans aren't gonna throw the ball 35 times a game so the # of touches for the WR is limited. Therefore, you want a player who is explosive and can change a game with a limited # of touches...ESPECIALLY if VY is our QB. Then we need a guy like CJ who can take a short pass and turn it into a 25-35 yd gain. Harvin is the PERFECT guy for this. He's explosive, can run or catch the ball, doesn't need a lot of touches to do real damage, and starting with few touches can unleash big dmg in year one while protecting him from injury.

In comparison to the best WR in the draft, Crabtree had 97 catches for 1165 yds and 19 TD's. He also played in a pass happy system and played more cream puffs than Florida did. And in TT's biggest game, he could only muster about 4 catches and was a non-factor?

And frankly, I think part of the reason Harvin is used more as a rusher than you'd expect is because Tebow is not the best passer in the world. Sticking Harvin in the backfield removes Tebow's throwing from the equation when you want the ball in your best playmaker's hands. We could have a similar need with VY.

I also like adding players who are drafted later than their talent would dictate....AND winners!!! Harvin would be both!

Little downside...fantastic upside and taylor made for our offense and philosophy!

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

and he's also made out of glass. if people thought chris brown was injury prone, wait until this guy comes into the league.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

raji will probably be a good player, just not for what we do. he strikes me more like a haloti ngata type than a kevin williams.

brian cushing has been hurt three out of his four years at sc(actually broke his hand this year but played with a cast) and when he did play i was never really all that impressed with him. he doesn't have very good hips and he doesn't seem all that fast to me. he's big enough to be a rush end in passing downs, but he doesn't rush the passer very well either.

juaqin iglesias has too much around him. he's got one of the best TEs in the country, one of the best qbs and a pretty good system to be in. along with no defense in the big12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar