With the 8th Pick of the 2016 Draft: Michigan State OT Jack Conklin

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Giants were absolutely targeting Conklin at 10. We had to get ahead of them.

• WTF?! WTF?! x 1
  2. DelawareTitan

DelawareTitan Starter

The Giants would have taken him for sure... The reason both us and Chicago moved up is because Giants would have taken one of the players we were both targeting. Who would you have wanted us to sit at 15 and take?

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm not assuming anything except it's the draft and trades happen. You have no idea what other teams had Conklin ranked the same as the Titans.

Giants and Dolphins need OT for sure and were picking ahead of the Titans. The Lions, at #16, could slide up ahead as well.

I hate giving up a second-rounder but picks don't mean a thing unless Robinson uses them to find players who fit his vision. He obviously thought Conklin did.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

That seems to be the case when we use three top 76 picks on a slow RT.

5. Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow Just a Fan....

this is exactly what we need on the line:

(you never heard Tunsil say anything like this...)

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

PFF rated the Taylor Decker and Ifedi picks two of the 5 worst picks of round 1. Decker was a huge reach in the first and Ifedi had a 6th round grade according to PFF. There was clearly a bigger drop off after the top three than we maybe were privy to.

Conklin was THE guy in Robinsons eyes and I'm totally on board. Plus I can't stress enough how great it is that we got to keep 33, 43, 45 AND 64 in the deal.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

What your suggesting is that Conklin was our guy all along. Again, if he turns out to be a stud- then I have no prob with the price per impact. But we DID pay a heavy price for a RT. I just don't think he's THAT much better than other Ts. But I'm not a professional talent scout nor did I interview these players. I'm ok with JR so far, so I'm ok with the pick of Conklin. Just not the price we paid.

I'd have been ok with Decker at #15 if we absolutely had to pick an OT. I think we could've traded back a few slots also and picked other OTs or a different position at high value.

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Nobody knows for sure.

9. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

Conklin is projected RT I understand

But does anyone think he is better suited as a inside guard?

He looks more like a guard than a tackle just on the eye test alone. He's called a "mauler" and "old school trenches type player"...

If they convert him inside and they gave up all these picks the kid better pan out.

At the moment I'm still cautiously optimistic on the selection - but dude looks like a guard and even if he stays at RT, we still got Lewan at the most important line position (LT) and he it wasn't like he was lighting up the world, protecting the blind side.

10. tnfan47

tnfan47 Let's Get It

Obviously us and Chicago knew something to jump the Giants

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar