Witherspoon has no retirement plans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Veteran linebacker Will Witherspoon lost his starting spot in 2012, and he’ll turn 33 in August.

He also has an expiring contract.

But the 11th year pro made it clear he has no plans to retire. With the emergence of young linebackers like Akeem Ayers and Zach Brown, however, Witherspoon’s days with the Titans are likely over. He made it clear he’d like to stay, however.

“I feel I have several good years left to play,’’ Witherspoon. “This past year might not have went like I wanted it to, but overall it’s the game.”

Witherspoon started just five games in ’12. He’d started at least 12 games in each of the past nine seasons with the Titans, Rams, Eagles and Panthers. Witherspoon finished the year with 48 tackles. He started two games late in the season when the team played without middle linebacker Colin McCarthy. Earlier in the year, Witherspoon gave way to Brown at weakside linebacker. He also dealt with a hamstring injury during the season.

“People always talk about how old you are and age and everything else,’’ Witherspoon said. “But one thing I’ve always believed is you are not done with this game until you really feel like you are most of the time. Injuries, yes, will sometimes take their toll. But I don’t think I have faced that point. I don’t think I am anywhere near that.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

Hope he realizes he isn't worth that much and we can keep him as depth cheaply..

3. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I really like WW and would love to keep him on the team. I don't see any other teams giving him a big money deal or a starting spot so hopefully we can bring him back at the right price to back our guys up and kick some knowledge.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

He's a bright guy, surely he knows no one is going to get into a bidding war for his services.

I like Spoon, he's good depth, hope we keep him.

5. Danimal

Danimal Starter

I like Spoon and I think he has a few games left but I hope the Titan's take this off season to turn over the roster and find a better combination of players than what we had last year. I really believe that we need some more veterans; who have more tread on their tires, a fire in their bellies, and can teach and lead our young players. If we keep bringing back the same good old guys we can expect the same old results.. . . change is good unless your married. . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar