Witherspoon staying busy, while waiting

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Will Witherspoon spent Friday afternoon doing some construction work at his grandparents’ home in Athens, Georgia.

Last month, he went to New Orleans for the Super Bowl, attending events like the Wounded Warrior project.

He’s taken classes toward his MBA in Washington, D.C., and is scheduled to finish in Los Angeles in July.

It might sound like the veteran Titans linebacker has moved on from football.

He hasn’t. He’s just enjoying his down time, and waiting to see where he ends up next.

“My next goal to hit is to get to 15 years, and then go from there,” Witherspoon, an 11-year NFL veteran, said of his future. “I have been through this process before, getting ready to go through free agency. I’ve done it twice already in my career. You kind of know what to expect, but you have to wait to find out where you are going to play and fit.”

Witherspoon, who joined the Titans in 2010, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on March 12. He’d like to re-sign with the Titans, although he knows he may not be in the team’s plans.

Witherspoon lost his starting spot in 2012 to rookie Zach Brown, and rising third-year players Akeem Ayers and Colin McCarthy are expected to start at the other two spots this fall. In the meantime, he plans on staying busy.

“I haven’t gotten any indication on what the Titans plan to do,’’ Witherspoon said. “Would I like to stay in Nashville? Of course, it’s a great city, there’s a good group of guys on the team, and I love it there.

“But my job is to go out and play on Sundays. Where that’s going to be this fall, I don’t know yet. So we’ll just wait to see what happens.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

He's solid depth. Hope we bring him back for a 2 or 3 year contract. Can play inside or outside if needed.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

Without him our LB core is way too young and there's injury concerns. Hopefully he knows his situation and knows he wont be a starter anywhere most likely.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I think we should first see how the draft goes, like Spoon a lot but we can do better.

If McCarthy can stay healthy theres no need for Spoon.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

If they all stay healthy then we have no need for him. But with our youth on D, we need him around.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

2yr/2mil deal, i'd offer him that.. not a year or dollar more.

7. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Definitely depends on his asking price. He actually may be able to start next year elsewhere. 2 years/2mil sounds solid. He sounds like a good guy, provides depth and solid leadership.

8. Ghost

Ghost 3 Time US Navy 7th Fleet "Hogging" Champion

You know damn well that Crutches McCarthy is not gonna stay healthy. Rumor has it he was spotted having a set ordered at Browns Medical Supply in Nashville a few weeks ago. Sounded pretty sweet, titanium alloy, leather heated grips, MP3 player holder, built-in NOAA weather alert and grooved rubber pads on the bottom for better traction.

9. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

So what you're saying is, we absolutely must resign Witherspoon.

edit: gdit.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Point #1, some thought went into that.
    Point #2.......????????????????

My take on it is simple. Spoon sucked when he played. That is it. Screw that he is a vet, a nice guy a good teammate. There comes a time when you simply move on. Find a younger vet or draft a guy. Is it so hard to figure out we had Brown on the bench when he should have been playing,. McCarthy on the bench early his first year when he should have been playing and Ayers played from day one. As in LBi sn't exactly a position were you let a guy simmer for a few years before you let him play. So a young guy can play or provide depth. And there are plenty of vet guys younger than Spoon who we could get. Go get a guy who can be decent depth who isn't over the hill and can't play anymore.

On Spoons end the MBA and all that is nice but heck yea he will be more than happy to stick around the NFL another year if some stupid team is going to pay him a couple of mil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar