Wonderlic revisited

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by nigel, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

If you're concerned with his IQ (or being retarded), I've looked and I can't find data that correlates the Wonderlic score to NFL performance. In fact, there is a good study (1989 to 2004) that demonstrates no correlation with Wonderlic score and passing efficiency. I've posted it a couple of times already but here it is again.

http://www.thesportjournal.org/2005Journal/Vol8-No2/mac-mirabile.asp

If you're worried he's lazy- give me a break. You don't get skills and perform like he has by being lazy. Now UNPREPARED- no doubt. His bonehead cuz or school-mate or whoever the *&^% is "handling" him dropped the ball by not prepping him regarding the perceived importance of the test.

Everyone should relax on the score. It has little (if any) predictive value of his NFL success.

2. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

It is blown out of proportion. I can guarantee you if teams bring him in and he passes their "tests", the wonderlic score will be a non-issue.

Funny, but like Reese said this morning, Young hasn't played any kind of football activities since the end of the year, yet he is dropping. I think he is only dropping in eyes of fans right now. I have full trust in our coaches. Like Reese also said, if he comes in and doesn't do well on their tests, they will move on.

3. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

His agent is a respected lawyer in Houston that has other clients, but no doubt that they didn't prepare him well. Either way, Young will be a top draft pick.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Actually this research doesn't really say much at all. The question isn't if a guy who has an IQ of 100 is going to have as good of a passing rating as a guy with an IQ of 150. The real question is at what score does a person simply not have the mental cpability to play QB in the NFL. Certainly the same kind of study could be done on Physicians and one could prove that the smartest doctors are not always the most successfull.

Note, the mean score of those in this study on the Wonderlic was 25.45. The minimum score was 10.0. If Young actually scored a 6 or 7 he would redefine the bottom score. Also, there have been links posted already to QB wonderlic scores and I didn't see any successfull QBs with score even near 10.
    IMO a 16 score is adequate to play QB in the NFL. A 6 might be questonable.

5. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

A wonderlic test administered at the combine isn't going to tell a team ipso/facto whether or not a kid can play QB.

6. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

"Wonderlic revisited "Please no....

:doh:

:barf:

:helmet:

7. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Unprepared ? If you need to be prepared to add or multiply, then you have serious problems. He has spent 3 years at a learning institution, and was supposedly on track to graduate... how exactly is that possible ? He obviously just doesn't care about academics at all. He has made no strides in that area, telling me that he doesn't think it's important. The NFL will think otherwise. =(

He obviously is not much for preparation. If I had been poor (assuming he has been) and handed a golden opportunity to spend 4 years at a major university free of charge, I would like to think I would value my future enough to learn something. I mean, what happens if he had broken his leg or had something catastrophic happen this year ? Where would that leave him ?

I think it's safe to say that no person could pass 4 years of full time classes at a university on par with Texas and score a 6 on that test unless they had cheated or someone else cheated for them... which raises several other questions about him for me.

8. kimberly

kimberly Camp Fodder

do you guys. really believe all this crap! i mean really, just ask yourself that! i am not saying vince is perfect by anymeans, but a, i know he did not get a six, b EVERY ONE KNOWS HOW TO SPELL THEIR NAME, AND I KNOW HE DID NOT MIS SPELL HIS NAME! these people have nothing else better to do , and the sad thing is, is you all or most of you REALLY BELIEVE IT! the guy only would have had three hours to complete to graduate if he would have stayed his senior year, vince was on the honor roll in college, and he majored in liberal arts, so THANK YOU VERY MUCH! THIS IS LIKE BEATING A DEAD HORSE, I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE SCORED ON THE WONDERLIC, I WOULD NOT CARE IF REGGIE SCORED A ZERO! MY LORD ! what matters is what a player does on the feild in the heat of battle not on some sheet of paper!

9. Pit Bull #53

Pit Bull #53 Guest

In my mind, the Wonderlic itself doesn't hold a ton of value. But here's something that does: The fact that there were questions surrounding Vince Young BEFORE he took the Wonderlic on whether or not he could read a defense, fully understand an offense, or have the capacity to process all the information that he's going to be getting in the NFL. Not to mention the fact that many people are questioning whether or not he ran a "watered-down" offense at Texas because he couldn't handle it otherwise.

THAT coupled with the fact that he scored so awfully low on the Wonderlic test has to raise some questions. It certainly reinforces the concerns that people had with him prior...

10. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Wrong. The thing that will enforce that belief or dispell it is when he meets with teams and goes over film and plays. Wonderlic has nothing to do with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar