World Cup 2010, South Africa

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Yossarian, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The last time i felt like that was when the titans went to the super bowl and after the music city miracle.

It was an incredible moment.

The US men will become a major international power like Germany and Italy and the women already are. There are too many kids playing the game to ignore this sport.

I don't like the ties and i don't like the dives but this is a great sport and this tournament is excellent! Love that France lost 2X and went home.:grrhee:

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I have a question about officiating. Maybe Gunny can answer.

In the Aussie vs Serbia match there was a handball that wasn't called late. The announcer said that apparently the ref thought it was "unintentional".

Are you kidding me? The refs have a hard time managing the game as it is they have to make a ruling on intentions? Hitting the ball with the hand is an immediate free kick right?

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Those who are critical of international football need to understand that there are things about American football and baseball that are hard for people from outside the US to appreciate. Like the pace of a baseball game or a football play which is 7 seconds of glorious action followed by 40 seconds of talk and strategy.

I had a friend in college who was an American but never lived here before. His dad was in the military and he lived his whole life in Europe. We were watching the college baseball team practice and after just 5 minutes he starts complaining about why it is taking so long for somebody to hit one over the fence. He just didn't get it.

Over time he continued to not understand why anyone would love a slow paced sport that involved hitting a little ball where little in his mind seemed to be going on.

All i'm saying is open your mind and try to appreciate something. It does not make you less of an American to learn about or learn to love another sport. International football is a sport worth paying attention to.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I think that technically you have to make an attempt to hit the ball intentionally to get a handball call. If you raise your arm or move it into the ball they will call it. If the player's hand comes to the ball, it is a foul. If the ball comes to the hand, it is not a foul.
    I also think that if you handball gives your team an advantage they will call it too, though this is not in the rules, even if you did not intend to hit it. That's why you will see handball called a lot in the penalty box even if it was not intentional.

I believe this is the right way to do it. If the handball gives your team an advantage then it should be called. And I Think that is what most referees will try to look at.

For me, that is fair, and for the most part it works.

But the ref has to see it to call it. Just like in the NBA, they may just not see it.

5. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

I'll take his turn. Just because people get injured, doesn't make it a tough sport. Case in point:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Handball gets a free kick, intentional or not. If it's intentional, or in the box, you can get carded. Not sure of the exact rules. Think of intentional as "aggravated handballery". Assault is bad, aggravated assault is much worse.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

So your 1 picture of each sport compares to broken tibias and constant head stitchings?

Yeah... No. Let's pretend it's not a contact sport while we're at it. You don't have to claw for position on corner kicks, you don't get head butted going up high- never kicked, and never tackled, either. That shot that Tim Howard took vs England would have sent most football player to the locker room. The knee "stingers" you hear about when they call TOs in the NFL are nonstop in soccer. No one gets to call a TO and sit the rest of the game out.

Since there's flopping, and since americans suck at it the whole sport is for sissies. I get it.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Not always though. The ball can hit your hand/elbow/etc if it's at your side. It's not a hand ball unless you could have prevented it, basically. If your hands are on your chest, you can let the ball hit it. It'd just be pointless though.

Like, if you have your back turned and the ball hits you in the hand. It's not a penalty.

9. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

cause the US is more important than south africa.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I would bet there are more people in South Africa watching soccer than in the US, and don't forget that people actually have to GO TO THE GAME.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar