World's best ever athlete does it again

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Carpy, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne Damnit, I cant find my driving moccasins anywhere!

It is amazing. I'm not debating that. I just don't consider a distance runner athletic, that's all. It's something average joes work to do.
  2. cajuntitan

cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

It is estimated that only 0.1% of the worlds population will ever complete a marathon. That is 1 in every 1000 people. That is only about 6.6 million people in the world (less than the population of NYC). It hardly seems that it is something that the average joe does!
  3. TheSureThing

TheSureThing WHY DIDNT YOU DRAFT JOHNNY FOOTBALL?!?

and the odds are even smaller to make it to the NFL, whats your point?
  4. cajuntitan

First I wasn't speaking in odds I was speaking in %. Secondly, the amount of marathoners in the world is 0.1%. The amount of professional marathoners is by far less than the amount of professional football players and I would guess that greater that 0.1% of the worlds population at least plays football at some point in their life. If we want to speak in professional numbers I think the amount of people who qualify to be professional marathoners is way fewer that those who make it to the NFL. Third, the whole world doesn't participate in American rules football so naturally the number of both non and professional runners would be greater than number of NFL players that is obvious!

Apart from all of that I was simply pointing out that running a marathon is not something that the average joe does. An average joe may decide to do a marathon. He then trains for and finish it, but once Joe does it he isn't average anymore (He also isn't a professional at it). If it is something an average joe can do I challenge all who think that to just go out and do one! I bet you can't.
    • High Five High Five x 1
  5. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Cajun....might as well drop it. Some people wont get it.
  6. cajuntitan

You're right! This is me dropping it!
  7. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Cajun, Ammotroop, Gunny,

Nobody is dismissing Haile's record as anything less than amazing. I doubt there is another person on the earth who could come close to that, right now. But the title of this thread is "World's Greatest Athlete", not "World's Most Amazing Feat." Excelling at one aspect of athleticism does not make you a great athlete, much less the "World's Greatest."

Running a marathon takes more work and determination than most people are willing to give. Being a professional marathoner adds physical make-up and genetics of the rare. Being the fastest marathoner in history is exceptional, but so is being the fastest pogo-sticker, or hot dog-eater, or yo-yo-er. Being the "World's Greatest Athlete" means you must excel at more than one singular skill.
    • High Five High Five x 4
  8. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

I agree Tuck.
  9. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

please close this thread after this well put point because this debate is silly and cyclical
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.