Worst case scenario

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by HonoluluYogi, Apr 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotoriousZEUS

NotoriousZEUS Rookie

Man I like Sims. He's a quality 5th round pick. There's not a chance in hell I'm going into this season thinking he's my starter though. At least not with the same idea of winning a Super Bowl.

Dick LeBeau does love his LBs, and I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibility of what the Titans will do. I'm just saying it's not a smart decision. Our secondary has been at the very bottom of the NFL for multiple years now. Our solution to that is Logan Ryan and maybe 2 3rd rounders, after two straight amazing drafts with DBs and 5 1/2nd rounders in those drafts combined?

We gave up 30 points in our 7 losses. If J-Rob ignores our secondary again until the end of day 2, I'm going to start questioning.

As for Woodyard, I don't think we ever were but he's a solid linebacker in a group of linebackers that is much better than what most squads have. I'm not saying I wouldn't love a force on the inside, hell I'd love a better force on the outside too than Orakpo or Morgan can provide, but the reality is we're good there. Need some depth, but we're good. Secondary is just a whole nother story.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. 615nick

615nick Starter

I just can't even begin to agree with going into this season trading ryan for cox and thinking the secondary is ok. Mccourty is bad, sims and reed are young late round guys and ryan is a solid #2/#3 cb in this league. I'm totally fine with waiting until the 3rd round to pick a cb, only because of the depth. But, if we don't come out of this draft with 2 coverage guys, I'm going to start questioning jrob. It is obviously our biggest need.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I think most people would be amazed how much better our edge rush was if we had someone pushing from NT. That is a glaring hole of ours for some time. QBs just casually step up in the pocket letting Rak/Morgan run right by. The only way those guys get sacks is by complete loop arounds.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

Yeah, it would be great to get a good NT who can also stay in on passing downs, but those guys are super rare.

So other than when we're in base, wouldn't that be Casey and Jones that aren't getting the push when we're in nickel? We know that Casey is good, does that means Jones isn't getting it done?

Also, I think getting a better ILB like Foster or Reddick, or even later round like Brian Brown, would help the interior push because an athlete like those guys could be blitzed up the middle more. Williamson and Woodyard just aren't guys you bring the heat with.

There's more way than one to get pressure up the middle, but I totally agree that we need more of it!

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  5. NotoriousZEUS

NotoriousZEUS Rookie

Yeah, Sly's gonna help out a lot. Our pass rushed ranked like 11th or 12th last year, so it's not like it's bad at all. I think people exaggerate the problem, but I think this year with his addition it will be even better and mostly more consistent.

6. 615nick

615nick Starter

People also tend to leave out the fact that cyp is a good pass rusher. He's small for the role, but still good at it. With the pieces we've added thus far, our pass rush is def a little quicker. Also add the fact that we signed ryan and will be bringing in at least 2 new faces at cb, our pass game is much better. Wr and qbs have less time, with our additions.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

you guys are talking about blitzing extra men that belong in coverage to fill a void created by a lack of interior rush.

8. 615nick

615nick Starter

Not necessarily. Bringing guys out of coverage to blitz, is part of an exotic blitzing scheme. Having players that can do both makes the o confused. We have rak, morgan, cyp, searcy, byard and now ryan that can blitz and/or cover. The o knows we are sending 3-6 blitzers on every play, having 7 or 8 guys that can do both opens up a ton of playbook.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Don't forget Reddick-it would be awesome to have an ILB who can cover, and has the pass-rushing tools of an OLB.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. 615nick

615nick Starter

Theres plenty of guys in this draft that can do both and I'd love to have, reddick is one. But, people seem to get to shortsighted and stuck on what traditional positions do.

I coach travel soccer and I've learned over the years getting caught up in formations and positions, really limits your team. I use defenders to attack and strikers to defend. Just depends on individual skill sets. Most novice or new coaches are afraid to use "exotic" schemes, but its the way every sport is going. Hell, even some baseball teams are using 4 outfielders now.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar