Would the Lions trade?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Vigsted, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I think they are going to draft Young, pay McNair, and turn the page.
    I'll be glad when the draft is behind us.

2. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

How is that relevant ? Any GM is going to take someone who has shown he can be dominant in college vs someone who hasn't. Saying Cutler and Young are on an even playing field doesn't make much sense.

Young: 3 Bowl appearances, a near Heisman trophy, and almost single handedly took down possibly the best team of all time with clearly inferior talent.

Cutler: looked good while not making a Bowl game and putting up decent numbers on a bad team.

Yea, I can see it...

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

it's very relevant to DW
    in other words : college success doesn't = pro success

4. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

I don't think ANYONE thought DW would do anything in the Pros. There is a difference.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well, frankly I don't give a **** about bowl games, heisman trophy or what have you. I look at a given players abilities and skills and frankly, the athleticism of Young aside, they look to be about even.

Cutler has a better arm than Young and he hasn't played strictly from a shotgun position.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Athleticism can go a long way.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Can it? Who's having more success the Roethlisberger's, Brady's et al or the Brooks', Vick's et al?

If your quarterbacks primary weapon is his feet, you're in trouble.

8. metal957

metal957 Starter

Did u not see the rose bowl. Jay Cutler is not even in the same league as Young. Young is a game changer, simply put. Put Cutler in the Rose Bowl on the Texas team, not good results probably only 3 points scored with him behind center. Young is a proven winner like Brady and Leinart. And the last time I checked that is what football at this level is played for, for winning games and Super Bowls.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Eric Crouch was a proven winner too.

And all the things I hear about about Vince Young I also heard about Akili Smith... and he was selected 3rd overall as well (uhoh)

10. A mobile QB who can take over a college game is not the same as being anle to take over an NFL game. Tons of excellent college QBs, whether they are "slash"-types or Wuerffel-types, can't make the transition to the NFL. There is no 100% guaranteed proven formula.

Young could end up the next Michael Vick (a great athlete but a poor passer). OR worse, he could end up the next Kordell Stewart. Personally, I think he'll be better than Vick, but you never know. What I do feel confident in is that his running ability will be far more limited in the NFL, because if he keeps running he'll get hurt too much. An NFL QB has to be a good passer.

Personally, I think Young will be very good in the NFL, and his passing is much better than Vick's was in college. And I rank him as the best QB in the draft. But just how good he'll be remains to be seen.

As for Cutler, he did a great job on a terrible team (I should know, I'm a Vandy fan). John Elway never went to a bowl game in college, and I'd wager that any team would be thrilled to get an Elway clone. The kid is going to be a damned good NFL quarterback, IMHO. Maybe the best of this year's crop. If Leinart had played the last 4 years at Vanderbilt instead of USC, I doubt he'd be considered by anyone as a franchise-type pick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar