Would the Lions trade?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Vigsted, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

And I did watch the Rose Bowl and 2 things:
    1) USC's defence is not as talented as the South team in the Senior Bowl.
    2) Vince Young didn't win by being a perfect passer, he won using his feet. But in the NFL the defences are so much faster, it won't be enough to rely on just that (again ask Vick). 30/40 for 267 yards 0 int and 0 td's doesn't really impress me I'm afraid. Sure it's a great completion rate, but a 6.7 avg is a little low.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

If this is true...(Young's lack of passing skills), then why would the Lions want to move up and draft him?

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Because Matt Millen is certifiable and wants the next Mike Vick. :))

Seriously though, my point is that I don't think there's that big a difference between the two. But if the Lion's think Vince Young or Cutler (or Leinart should Houston take Young) is better would they be willing to trade. And could we still get whomever is left if we did trade?

4. Honestly, I think the Saints are in a great position to move down. If Leinart drops in teams' eyes, they could trade down a bit and still take him to help the move to LA in the future. Plus, they are guaranteed to have either Bush or Young still on the board if they are considered the clear top picks (which I think they will be).

If Young is still there and the Lions want him, they would have to move up there or risk the Titans talking him 3rd.

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Seriously, let's look at this objectively.

I thought I was pretty clear that I agreed with that. You said Cutler should be on the same level as Young. I told you why he shouldn't. Success in college IS a factor. Hell, why don't we just draft a major league pitcher to come play football ? He has a great arm !

All good points but you still admit Young is about as good as Cutler without his mobility which is all I'm saying.

I don't get it. Are you grouping Brooks and Vick in the same group because they're black or something ? Roethlesberger can move it big time and Brooks rarely runs. Look back at some of the archived previews of him before the draft. He was a big time athlete with a big arm, much like they're saying about Young right now. There are plenty of pocket passers who bust also... there are just far more pocket passers overall so it stands to reason that more of them will succeed.

Akili Smith had one good year... Vince Young has had two good years and an excellent year. Akili Smith also didn't play in the Big 12. I don't really see where your comparison is. Akili Smith couldn't run like Young. He wasn't the leader Young is.

Eric Crouch ? He turned the NFL down by choice iirc. I think he was drafted in the 3rd round as a safety.

1) Are you kidding me ? Texas' offense is not as talented as the players Cutler was playing with either lol.
    2) He made many plays with his feet. Many of those were designed runs as well. 30/40 for 267 is not impressive ? He was practically flawless (running as well as throwing) with no big name receivers or running game to speak of.

Like SK said... the jury's still out about who will turn out to be the better pro. All we can do is take our best educated guess like everyone else, but part of that guess involves looking at what they have done over the past three or four seasons on the field. Young clearly has a large lead over Cutler in that aspect.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

When you do the research, be sure to look at the team who drafted the player. I'd be willing to bet the majority went to struggling franchises and had a history of poor drafting.

7. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Sadly, that describes the Titans of recent years. =(

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

That only accounts for some if though. If so many star quarterbacks suffer on bad teams that draft them, why don't they do any better later in their career on better teams? No matter which club Akili Smith played for he sucked, the same for Leaf, Couch, etc.

I can't off the top of my head think of one current or recent quarterback that royally sucked, went to a better team and became a superstar. Well actually I decided to look it up and the only one you could mention is Jake Plummer, but I'll admit I don't know exactly how badly he did in Arizona.

And now for something completely different. Is NO even interested in a quarterback? I mean everyone is saying they'll grab Leinar, but they got McPherson last year, does anyone know what his status is the Saints right now?

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Six-point-eight. It's his rushing average. His passing average is 9.34 yards per attempt.

Also, Matt Leinart's passing average is 8.85. Jay Cutler's is 6.65.

All the talk is what if Cutler had the weapons of USC. What if he had the offensive "weapons" of Texas?

(Sorry if someone posted this. I read no further.)

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Oh, and I forgot to mention: the 6.8 rushing average also yielded 3 TDs.

So I guess you just got to ask yourself one question, punk: Which happened first: Did Vince Young run the ball so well that USC overplayed the run game and enabled him to burn them 75% of the time, or did his passing accuracy make them play the pass which gave him the room to run 3 TDs into the endzone? Do you know the answer to that? Well, do ya, punk? Do ya?!

-- Dirty Harry:suspect: :suspect: :suspect: Balls

:ha:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar