Would the Lions trade?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Vigsted, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Okay, that was kindergarten.

2. Maybe, but then you also have to consider that when you blow the early draft pick on a franchise QB, it is a major cause of that franchise's struggles for a few years. Teams don't give up on that QB for at least 5 years, so their future is directly tied to his success.

Look at guys like Harrington, Carr, and Couch as examples of failed early QB picks. Couch stuck around Cleveland for 5 years and never was productive. Carr and Harrington have been around for 4 years already with nothing good to show. They have been weighing their teams down...

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Upon further review, in regard to the original question, I would consider trading the #3 for #9, #41, #63, their #1 next year, and ummm, one of Mike Williams :winker: or Roy Williams or Boss Bailey :winker: :winker: .

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

And then I guess I'd take Cutler. Maybe Lendale White there.

#9 Cutler
    #35 Max Jean Gilles or best OT
    #41 DQwell Jackson
    #63 Daniel Bullocks

Just entertaining out loud.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I think your dreaming out loud, lol.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Thats an excellant point and just shows how critical this pick for the Titans can be.

One of the things that really makes me think the Titans are not sold on Young is a comment Fisher made. Fisher said last year when he was watching tape of Texas to evaluate Benson he couldn't take his eyes off the QB handing the ball off. Obviously Fisher is laying a smoke screen to build up Young so some team will bite on the bait. Could it be that Fisher and Chow really like what they see in Cutler and or have their doubts about using their 3rd pick and paying Young 25 million for a guy who might not be NFL ready for 3 years? Chow is really a wild card because he worked with Carson Palmer, Leinart and other top college QBs and if anyone is really qualified to see NFL potential it might be him. Maybe Chow sees more Carson Palmer in Cutler than he sees in Vince Young or Leinart so far.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well, the stats on ESPN are skewed. For some reason they calculate avg yardage based on attempts, not completions, so I was a little fast in my original post. They list his stats as:
    Code:
    Passing:
    		C/ATT	YDS	AVG	TD	INT
    Vince Young	30/40	267	6.7	0	0
    Rushing:
    		CAR	YDS	AVG	TD	LG
    Vince Young	19	200	10.5	3	45

His pass average should be 8.9, which is not bad.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

My point is that many of these guys would not have been taken so high had the pick been made by a team known for drafting well to begin with. These are usually perennial losers who probably reach. These guys are thrown to the wolves with less talent around them. It's rare a rookie QB can step in and be successful unless the team had a strong running game and defense to help take the pressure off.

As for an example off a couple of guys who did well after leaving the teams who drafted them high, Vinny Testaerde never has a passer rating over 76 while with the Bucs and went on to a great career. Maybe Steve Young is another example.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Thats a pretty short list of QBs who ended up being successfull with another team. Actually a guy like Young makes the point. Very few of these guys like a Shuler bomb out and even become decent backups let alone decent starters. A guy like Young proves that if a QB has the goods and only failed because he was on a lousy team should be able to resurrect his career somewhere else. Most of these guys at best get a tryout with another team and don't even make the roster.

10. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Brian Griese, Doug Flutie, Bret Favre, Kelly Holcombe, Jon Kitna, Matt Hasselback, Trent Green off the top of my head. All of these players started with one team, it didn't work out, ended up with another team and played well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar