Would the Lions trade?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Vigsted, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think a good QB should be able to succeed even on a bad team in all but the most extreme circumstances (Carr could be one). There are a number of good QBs on bad teams.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Nah. I'd rather keep the pick right now.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Ahhh, you were speaking of Rose Bowl stats only, where as I posted the season stats for the 3 QBs. My bad, Vigsted, but you're right the ESPN math was wrong on that.

I got the season stats from there as well.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Well, we can expect any QB drafted in the top five is going to bad team. What I think makes a difference is whether or not they are in a down season or two or the bottom-feeders of the league year after year. You can expect those losing programs with good front offices to get things back on track in a couple of seasons.

Let's look at those QBs drafted in the first five picks of the draft since 1986 and the games they played in their rookie year. Note that this is not starts:

E. Manning - played in nine games as a rookie.
    Rivers - played in no games as a rookie.

Palmer - played in no games as a rookie.

Carr - played 16 games as a rookie.
    Harrington - played 14 games as a rookie.

Vick - played in eight games as a rookie.

Couch - played in 15 games as a rookie.
    McNabb - played in 12 games as a rookie.
    A. Smith - played in seven games as a rookie.

P. Manning - played in 16 games as a rookie.
    Leaf - played in 10 games as a rookie.

McNair - played in four games as a rookie.
    Collins - played in 15 games as a rookie.

Shuler - played in 11 games as a rookie.

Bledsoe - played in 13 games as a rookie.
    Mirer - played in 16 games as a rookie.

George - played in 13 games as a rookie.

Aikman - played in 11 games as a rookie.

Testaverde - played in six games as a rookie.

Everett - played in six games as a rookie.

So dating back to '86, you have a total of 20 QBs taken in the top five. Of those, 12 played in 10 or more games as a rookie. Of those 12, eight have to be considered busts. Only Aikman, Bledsoe, P. Manning and McNabb went on to successful careers for the team who drafted them.

To flip that around, of those eight players who played less than ten games their rookies season, I think the jury is out on E. Manning, Palmer and Rivers though Manning and Palmer both look to have bright futures. That leaves five in Vick, Smith, Testaverde, McNair and Everett. I think it is safe to say Smith was a HUUUUUUUUGE bust ;). Testaverde had to get out of Tampa before he became a solid QB but he was one. Everett had a number of good seasons in LA. Vick can't be considered a top QB after the past two seasons and McNair has had his moments but also isn't considered among the elite anymore. But I don't call either a bust.

Final results: QB busts who played more than 10 games, (not counting Carr or Harrington) - 5. QB bust who didn't play in 10 games as a rookie - 1.

I won't say any of this proves squat but I still think we see a trend of poor decisions by the traditionally worse teams reaching for a QB and most QBs benefitting from a year to develop.

:geek:

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Based on that we should trade our whole draft to get Rivers...
    If anything we can say that there is about a 50/50 chance when drafting a QB in the top 5 you will get a bust or at best average QB.
    However, of the 50% that go on to be solid QBs there is almost a 50% chance of getting a real good pro-bowl quality QB.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. :lol:

Well, of the 17 drafted since '86 (once you drop E. Manning, Rivers and Palmer because they are so young), you have...

Two HOFers (assuming Manning is in) - 12%
    Five more who had a number of quality seasons - 30%
    Six who may or may not ever be more than average QBs - 35%
    And four total busts - 23%

So I'd say 50% is about right for getting a good or great QB with a top five pick. And when you look at the busts, notice the teams making the picks. Most have been among the dogs of the NFL the last 20 years so you usually have inferior talent and these guys are thrown to the wolves from day one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar