Would we be interested in trading picks?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Smart***Titan, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

OK, hear me out before everyone starts the posts that we need to draft a "sure thing" receiver in the first... I'm not against that idea by any means. At least one of the top receivers should still be there at 24, however the mid twenties is about when a team may look into trading up to get a QB- Brian Brohm to be specific. Peter King was even discussing this in his SI article today. Would we consider trading with say, Atlanta, and getting the 3rd and 6th picks of the 2nd round? We could potentially still snag a top receiver... potentially 2 very good receivers, and still address D-line in the first two rounds.

Every year, everyone says this player or that player is a guaranteed first rounder, and then they drop into the 2nd or later rounds, despite there "first round grade". With three 2nd round picks, we could snag that receiver at the top of the 2nd, and still have a great chance at several other players that we wouldn't have had otherwise.

Most mocks have us taking either Sweed or Jackson in the first, and a DT in the 2nd. Say Jackson is gone (He would be my pick due to return abilities and ability to stretch the field), and the staff is not overly fond of Sweed. We make the trade, and instead p/u one of the late first/ early 2nd round tier of receivers, which will possibly/ probably include Manningham, James Hardy, Doucet; then take a DT like a Balmer, Pat Sims, or Dre Moore, and are still in position with our original pick to take either a late 2nd/ early 3rd receiver like an Andre Caldwell or Earl Bennett or an athletic DE like a Cliff Avril or even BPA like a Dustin Keller or a Mayo if he slips. That doesn't even take into account the fact that you may have a Sweed or a Kelly slip into the 2nd round. Contrary to popular belief, not all of these guys are going to get into the first round.

Oh, and throw out the draft trade chart, we would still be several hundred points away, so we would possibly have to throw in a 3rd or 4th rounder, however I have seen many trades that are further apart than this one.

Just Food for thought... Boards been kinda slow.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think where we see the potential for the Titans to trade up is if someone they want begins to slide. For example, say the Titans feel Harvey is a top 15 selection and he's still available at 20. I could see them moving up ahead of the Redskins who would likely take him at 21.

I don't see them going up more than a few spots as it begins to cost a ton. In the scenario above, it may cost them a third-round pick or more to move up four spots.

I think the possibility of trading down exists around pick #24. We'll have a couple of solids RBs on the board, most of the WRs and possibly a Mayo and/or Rivers.

I don't see Miami coming up for Brohm because no one towards the end of the first round will want QB. Maybe Atlanta wants to jump Miami but they don't have to come up to #24 for that.

I could see them trading down into the early second and picking up a Bennett, Balmer or Merling and gaining a third-rounder in '08 and possibly a second in '09.

Or, even more likely, I could see the Titans moving up in the second and trading away one of their fourth-rounders to get to one of those WRs you mention.

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

First, I don't know if it will be a QB like Brohm that will entice a team to trade up for a pick in the 20s. I think it's more likely it will be a RB sliding a bit (i.e., a guy like Jonathan Stewart falling into the mid-20s). I could potentially see Chicago or Arizona not drafting a RB at 14 or 16 but then taking a run at one in the 20s.

That said, I still doubt that we would trade out of the first round. I think we're more likely to try to trade up to get another 2nd round pick, like Jeff described.

4. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I think trading down would be a good idea.

Get two 2nd round picks and two 3rds and fill 4 holes.

Unless there is a prospect we can't pass up at our pick I wouldn't mind trading down into the earl second for a teams 2nd rounder and 3rd.

We could get a WR who falls like maybe Mario, Hardy, even Thomas possibly. Then grab a DT like Pat Sims hopefully with our 2nd rounder.

Then round 3 get a DE and CB in no specific order. Say Jason Jones at DE and maybe Tyvon Branch at CB.

IDK just a thought.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

We better get a great deal out of it if we do.

The Atlanta scenario would be a no-brainer to me. Almost have to do that.

But to trade our 1st for a 2nd & 3rd... nah.

What I'd love to see us do, is trade every pick we can past the 2nd round and try to move up and get another 2nd rounder that way. I've been saying this for awhile now, but we don't need more late-round marginal players. We need playmakers, damnit! :ha:

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

We'll trade up to get a "project" running back.

7. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

I have been reading in more than a few places that multiple teams are interested in moving up into the end of the first specifically for Brohm... a la Brady Quinn last year. Coincidentally, Quinn went about the same place that we are currently slotted.

From Pat Kirwan of NFL.com today, "But his recent rise has been as much about Boston College's Matt Ryan as anything Brohm has done himself. Ryan did not "wow" scouts in his pro-day workout at Chestnut Hill, sending some teams scrambling to determine the next best thing, which would be Brohm and his 4.6 40 time.

That, combined with the growing sense of urgency that attacks teams as we get closer to late April, has led some teams to realize they do not have a satisfactory answer at QB. That has helped push Brohm up most boards. As more and more teams realize they have a glaring need at QB, and with very few top prospects at the position, Brohm will become a topic of conversation in more and more draft rooms.

Ryan is clearly the top passer in the draft, but Brohm has gone from mid-second-rounder to a potential mid-to-late first-round selection in some mock drafts."

I can totally see the Titans standing pat and taking the top WR at 24, or even a top tier player that drops to 24. I just think that there is a good chance that somebody is going to want to trade into the back third of the first round, and if they are willing to part with valuable picks (especially the 3rd and 6th picks in the second round), you do it.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If we got a deal similar to the trade with the Texans a few years ago darn right I'd consider it. First of all the talent value about 10 picks into the 2nd round isn't much different than what might be available in the 1st. Still, if there is a player the Titans really like they should take quality over quantity IMO.

9. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I agree 100%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar