Would you fire Jim Schwartz?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SupDawg, Sep 13, 2006.

?
  1. Yes, He'd be gone.

68 vote(s)
    78.2%
  2. No, I'd give him more time.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I haven't insulted you. If I insult you, you'll know it...

What I have done is use your own words against you. Just read your own quotes.

Being ranked 32nd in the league is not even remotely the same as saying you can't do any worse...

Better being what? 30th ranked? You can't succeed with bad players in the NFL regardless of the coach...

As I said, that's true of most every NFL coach...

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Yeah, I like Fisher pretty much but I wish he wouldn't be so hesitant to start youth.

I would never think that was a good strategy. But I never thought Thompson should've been starting. Hill had a good rookie year, but just digressed badly for some reason. Injury I guess.

And I'm not saying blitz happy. But how about a CB blitz once, twice a game?

Yep I agree. It's the wins and losses that count. And the 8 losses from last year, the 12 losses from 2005, the 11 losses from 2004.... royally piss me off. I'm putting a chunk of that blame on Schwartz.

3. Alex1939

Awesome :guitar:

:slap:

My bad. Let me clarify so that you can understand. If I was DC of any team in the NFL the worst I can statistically rank among teams is 32 out of 32. I can be dominated 1000 to 0 every game and be considered the worst of all time, but I guarantee you I can't do worst than last in the league in defense.

i really didn't think this comment was such a big deal or required so much explaining. Draw conclusions.

Once again, I have ZERO coaching experience. I can't do better than ANYONE in the NFL in coaching defense. Period.

I can come in 32nd out of 32nd in the NFL everytime though.

And I would like to think maybe there would be one person in the world that could replace Schwartz and have last year's defense rated around 20th. Who knows maybe more than one. I hope there was at least more than one that could've done better than 32nd.

True that.

Maybe no one could've done better than 30th, 31st, or 32nd last year. I can't disprove it, but I really don't agree with that.

4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

And that's your right, and I even agree. I, however, would probably put a bigger chunk of that blame on the roster purge due to cap hell. That's just my opinion. I'm sure there were coaches that could have lifted this defense in the rankings, and even improve the win record while they were at it, but that doesn't mean that they were available. If the Jags have a horrible season, and the entire coaching staff gets the axe, I'll be the first to campaign for Del Rio or Mike Smith as our new DC.

5. And yet, while all that may be true, none of it matters. Because the fact is that our defense could have been a whole hell of a lot worse regardless of this statistical ranking. Statistical ranking doesn't mean as much as you think. If it did, then explain how a team goes 8-8 despite having the worst ranked defense and the 6th worst ranked offense (as has already been pointed out)...

The fact is, our defense had some good games and it had some very bad ones. But there is no doubt at all that they were bad in those bad games because the players got beat on the field, not simply because Schwartz did everything wrong...

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

A quote worth repeating.

:applause:

7. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Actually the state quoters are the people who were praising Schwartz. They would justify the bad play of the defense by saying that we were ranked such and such and he was statistically doing better than Greg Williams. WHATEVER. Most of us that were not in love with him basically said that stats don't matter when you are getting kicked around. The percentages didn't matter as long as we were being gashed for 300 rushings on a weekly basis. In the end winning does matter but I don't think most of us expected to dominate or to necessarily win. We knew that we didn't have the greatest talent on the field but felt that the defense should atleast be better than what it was. If they were ranked 32nd in total defense but actually tackled I and played as a team, I don't think most people would have had a problem. Our defense was disorganized to the nth degree. "The head didn't know what the behind was doing" and that was not all on the players.

8. Alex1939

This subject is just :dead:

If you can't see that Schwartz sucks (or at least isn't very good) from the statistics over the last several seasons OR watching the games and seeing our players poor form tackles and running the same defensive plays that get beat over and over, then you'll never see it.

You supporters should just come out and say what you feel, that Schwartz is a mastermind who elevates mediocre players game and gets the absolute most out of the great players while calling the correct defensive plays to give this team the best chance to win. Lobby for a contract extension. Hell lobby for him to succeed Fisher as head coach one day. Go ahead and put Schwartz bust in canton.

Personally, I'd like to see Romeo Crennel, Mike Singletary, or some other DC given a shot to lead this team. So I voted that if it were up to me, I'd likely fire him at the end of the season.

I just hope that the D-line continues to perform so well this season. Because if the D-line begins to sputter, has an injury, or generally begins to look more like the 2006 and 2005 versions I'll be bracing myself for similar results from those seasons. You guys can start the "Schwartz the mastermind will save us" threads.

I'll just increase my weekly liquor bill.

9. Wrong. I specifically compare our stats with Gregg Williams D's stats. Not to show that Schwartz is great, just to show that Gregg Williams is getting terrible results despite being everyone's fair-haired boy...

10. I think it's a penalty if Schwartz tries to run on the field and make a tackle. I'm not sure what else he's supposed to do to fix the missed tackles. Perhaps... ahem... the players are the problem there...

I know when the peewee football teams play during halftime, they are allowed to have their coaches stand out there and put the kids in the right position. I always commented that if we were allowed to have Schwartz come out and put Lamont Thompson in the right place we'd have a better chance. But I guess Fisher got voted down on the competition committee every time he suggested that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar