Would you ride out the $23 mil for '06?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 10, 2006.

?
  1. Release McNair

26 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. Keep McNair for '06

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think McNair have to renegotiate his deal, I don't think he wants to leave the team, He can reach a 2 year deal with a possible third and draft Young and took over after 2 maybe 3 years.

2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

how many times have the Titans got to pay him. he has been paid UPFRONT ever time he redid his contract. He is due 9 mill plus the 1 mill for a total of 10 mill if he does nothing but play this yr, the other 13 mill counts towards the cap. That is money that has already been paid that the Titans are having to claim now. I am sure SK will correct me if I am wrong

3. Delaware Titan

Delaware Titan Camp Fodder

Pay him his money. He has put this team on his back for several seasons, and all the front office does is keep putting off his pay day. For everything he has done for this franchise, wait a minute he is this franchise, he deserves a payout and a chance to ride off into the sunset.:flame:

4. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

He's already cleared $50 million and you think he's waiting on his pay day? We've supported him through thick and thin and we shouldn't have to compromise the betterment of the team because he won't settle for a few less million.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree with Bongo. Find the money elsewhere. Keep Mac as long as possible, to the detriment of getting him into another camp soon enough to make a difference. This, by the way, is what would make the Ravens offer up a draft pick to get him.

You know, I think if we do get Young, we get the McNair deal done. Three or four years. I really don't see why in the end, since we'll have the supposed $30M or so next year, McNair wouldn't redo a deal this year, take his upfront money and sign a deal worth around $7M for next year.

I do expect some more surprises before its over.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I just wonder if Baltimore have offered anything for McNair. And if so what are we willing to accept.

7. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

They won't go after Mcnair until he's released. Otherwise they'd have to pay him $23M next year and I don't see that happening anywhere.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

they'd paid him $23 mill this year? Next year he is a free agent.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Well, they could take that contract and restructure. It's fair to say us and the Ravens are still enemies, all the way to the FO. If they want him as bad as they seem to, they may not have a choice if they want McNair to be more effective than Kyle Boller has been. I think the Ravens want to win again before Ray Ray is completely kaput and their defense is reduced to a puddle of its former self. Billick thinks he can take on Reese, but he can't, and neither can Ozzie. These guys and ours will talk on draft day for sure to discuss the what-ifs if a new contract for Mac hasn't been worked out by then.

Besides, the Ravens only take on $9M. We take on the $14.36M. If we do deal McNair, I can all but guarantee we use the additional pick to go after a franchise back this year, possibly dealing a future to make it happen. Bush is out of the question, but I think the Titans would love to have DeAngelo Williams on the roster.

Other than that, it will be very tough, but doable, to create the rookie pool without restructuring McNair. We will hold this card until the last possible minute unless the NFLPA steps in and forces our hand, which I don't foresee yet.

What is fair value considering the circumstances? Well, if Baltimore feels McNair has 2-3 good years left and makes them immediately competitive, like playoffs (and why else would they do it?), a first rounder is reasonable, even though many here say McNair is not worth it. Value is relative. Maybe their first for McNair and our third next year, or their 2nd straight up. To me, if an injured Culpepper is worth the #16 pick in round two, a healthy McNair is worth at least #13 in round two.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

And yes, I meant franchise RB in addition to franchise QB. What else would ease the loss of McNair? Get the new Steve and Eddie now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar