Would you ride out the $23 mil for '06?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 10, 2006.

?
  1. Release McNair

26 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. Keep McNair for '06

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

He's not a free agent till 07'

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

which is next year....or is my calender wrong again?

3. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

This is 2006... Geeze you even made me check my calender..:ha:

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I said he would be a free agent next year.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't see how anyone can blame McNair for $13.5 mil of his cap right now. It was Reese restructuring him which created that. I suppose McNair is to blame for taking that check, eh? ;)

As for the $10 mil he'd earn this year, that's a different story even if you want to blame Reese for negotiating that number a few years back when McNair was much more productive.

That $13.5 mil cap number is there whether he stays or goes. The question is whether he is worth $10 mil for '06. IMO, he's not.

If Reese thinks Volek can win as many games in '06 as McNair, he would be crazy to keep McNair. Even if you lose one or two more games in '06, is it worth $10 mil? Did if really impact the Titans record in a positive way the last two seasons having McNair on the roster? Probably not.

I still believe McNair gives the Titans the best opportunity to be a decent team in '06 which is why I think it'll eventually get done.

But if McNair is to be cut, I'd want that $9 mil by June because there may be a few players cut from other teams which may fill a hole. Then it is there to get the rookie deals done in June/July without cutting a number of other players.

6. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

What I get upset about is that it is a known fact by all the players in the league that when you sign a backloaded contract that the base salary at the end of it is funny money. You either renegotiate it or you get cut. Mac should be willing to renegotiate that base number. I'm not sure that Reese truely has given him an opportunity to do it yet because he wants to keep all his options open for the draft to increase the value of the 3rd pick.

It is in both parties best interest to wait until after the draft to really get to work on his contract.

But if the choice was 9mil in cap room vs having Mac for 1 yr then I think I go with cutting Mac.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think McNair would agree that it is in his best interest to release him after the draft.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Exactly. The sooner they trade the more compensation we get. I could see something breaking either right before the draft or right after. It might be best for both parties to come to some agreement before the draft. Both team can have the issue settled.

9. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar