Would you trade away our 1st round pick for Philip Rivers?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by JCBRAVE, Dec 8, 2014.

?
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    77.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I have little faith in this staff which is my problem with doing this. To make this work in our favor, SEVERAL things would have to happen. First, we would have to be protected from Rivers retiring in a year or 2. That would mean not only getting the 17th pick back as well as Rivers, but also conditional picks if he doesn't play. So if retires after 1 season, we get their next 2nd rnd pick. if he retires after 2 seasons, we get their 3rd. After 3 seasons, their 4th.

Second, negotiate a reasonable contract for Rivers which doesn't kill our cap. The fact that we didn't dump high future cap now would be a BIG problem with Rivers in 2016 if we still have $8mil+ cap hits for below avg players (Levitre, Griff, etc). But let's say he gets a good deal done.

Then we need Webster to draft and manage the roster (adding good free agents, retaining key players, and getting rid of bad players) very well over the next 3-4 years. I haven't seen him do it for one year and he's been involved in managing our roster for several years. But let's pretend he can do it...

We then need Whisenhunt and his staff to get the most out of these players. Considering the roster was improved over what Munchak had and got to 7-9 with...and Whiz got us to 2-14, expectations are low. And it'd be one thing if we were firing on all cylinders with everyone and everything EXCEPT QB, but we aren't. We brought in an offensive minded HC and what did we do...the OL got worse, so our RB's were worse, our WR's were worse and took a serious step backwards and all of our QB's got hurt at least once. Almost worse was that we seemed mismatched in making adjustments or even simple scheming we see from other teams. In short, playcalling and game prep were also big problems and that is on the staff.

Much like the Yankees this year, if EVERY IF came back with a positive check, big things could happen. But it almost never works out that way and usually several of those question marks come back negative. And given people's track records, it's hard to drink the Koolaid.

Sure everyone would be excited for Rivers to be our QB, but after Whiz decides we need to only block with 5 because Rivers can handle it and Levitre and our new RT get beat for 2 free rushes and Rivers goes down in game 2 for the season, the doom and gloom will sink in. Then Rivers decides he's had enough and retires. And then where are we?

If we had a great GM or even a great coach and coachihng staff Id be much more enthusiastic, but it's hard to see how this gets us where we want to go before Rivers retires...even if that's 3 years from now.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

What if Rivers takes a beating and decides to retire after 1 year after we go 8-8 and now pick at 18. We are back to square one. Rivers is old and more fragile and our OL has played poorly. How did you decide Rivers wouldn't begin to think retirement 'til 2019 when our last QB just retired, a 1st yr MLB coming off a very good year retired, and a pass rusher in his prime with a zillion dollar contract offer retired.

If the rest of the team was built and playing well and our only flaw was QB, I still wouldn't trade the pick straight up. 2-4 yrs of a Pro Bowl caliber QB whos old is not worth 3 first rnd picks and we likely can get a little more than that.

I agree with one of the other guys in that IF I was to trade them #2 overall, I want Rivers, #17, their 2nd rnd this year and a 2nd rndr next yr...at least with conditional picks added if Rivers doesn't start for us for 4 years. Sd will never do that.

I just hope the Titans don't trade the pick straight up for Rivers. Then we'll find out we have no cap room because of the overpaid fat on the roster, so we can't improve it much beyond the draft. This is exactly what I was afraid of 4 years ago when I was thinking the Titans wouldn't be dumb enough to draft Locker in rnd 1!!!

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

@JCBRAVE mett paced 4000 yards and nearly 30 tds. give him another offseason he can do just that

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

of course, the gamble with trading for Rivers is 1, his cap number doesn't stop us from adding more talent. Seriously overpaying Griff, Levitre, etc makes this a harsh reality for Webster. 2, our OL - with a serious invest in cap and monetary resources is playing below average. How bad? All 3 of our QB's got knocked out of games from injuries and 2 got knocked out TWICE! For an older QB, that is a MAJOR problem. If Rivers gets beat up, what's his incentive to stay and take more brain trauma? So if he retires after one season or gets hurt for the rest of the season and retires...then what? Do you have faith in Webster drafting well over the next 3 years, adding good free agents, keeping core players and jettisoning the 'fat?' Im not as he hasn't done it. Our staff...on the OFF side has given us poor results and yet NONE of them were fired. How does this give you confidence in our offense and coaching staff to get more out of our combination of players?

Remember, Rivers is a small window for reaching the promised land and if our HC and staff are so bad they took a 7-9 team and got us 5 LESS wins with a better roster, I don't have high hopes for them atm.

Do Winston and Mariota carry risk? Yes. We risk $5mil/yr and embarassment if we take one and he 'busts.' With Rivers we risk a potential cap hit of 20-40mil and a lot more lost value if he retires in a yr or 2.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

IF he can remain upright. Something he couldn't do last year do to the OL, playcalling, and Mett's own issues in not reading the D and making decisions fast enough.

6. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

o line will be better...significantly. hell be faster at reading d and getting the ball out.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

It is funny, Ten is saying they are open to trading but it will take A LOT for them to trade out. It is being reported that it would take A LOT for SD to trade Rivers...

I would be pretty upset if we traded #2 for Rivers (or worse, gave them MORE picks) unless, as I said before, something like 5 things would have to all work out perfectly for us, but I don't see those things happening with Webster at GM and Whiz as HC.

Since Im fairly down on our GM and coaching staff, I don't think they realize not only do WE have the power, but something is up in SD. It doesn't make sense for SD to shop him at all as they can easiley keep him for the next 2 seasons (1 contract year and 1 franchized). Why would they consider trading him now? And I don't buy him not wanting to move 100miles to LA...where instead he'd rather go to one of the worst teams in the NFL halfway across the country with as bad an OL as is in the league. If SD is shopping Rivers, they want him out and Im not paying the 'franchize QB tax' to get him.

If you consider Rivers' value as a Pro Bowl QB worth say 2 first rndrs but factor in you expect him to play less than 5 years...so the value of a mid rnd first...................And then factor we could parlay the #2 pick for 3 of those picks or more, I'd expect to get draft pick conpensation and a lot of it from SD in this scenario.

Otherwize, is Rivers for 3-4 years worth 3+ mid-first rnd picks?

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Elways team was stacked. Ours isn't. Didn't he have the best RB in the league at that time?

Marino throwing 23 TD passes isn't going to get it done!!!

Brady and Manning...require the TEAM to help them a LOT. Brady should have lost that last SB and Manning got destroyed in his last one with arguably the best NFL offense in history.

I dont see how Rivers straight up for #2 is better than getting say, #12, 19, 43 and a #1 in 2016? If Rivers only makes it 1-2 years, look at what you'd give up.

On the other hand, let's say TB takes Winston and our choice is Mariota or Rivers straight up for #2. Most people have Mariota as a top 10 player in this draft though most think he will take a year or 2 to start. Meanwhile, we see what Mett can do and if he succeeds, great, qb problem solved. But if he fails and Mariota starts in yr 2 or 3....we can expect him to be a good starting QB for the next 10-15 yrs. And there is no guarantee Whiz and Webster survive past this season so whos to say we dont bring a coach to run the spread (Urban Meyer) who would really appreciate us having Mariota?

If Rivers stays at this pace for 3-4yrs...do we think we can win the SB with no cap space and Webster and Whiz making decisions? Or do we have a better chance in possibly drafting low while Mett starts for a season or two (and we rebuild with top draft picks) while Mariota develops.

Or do we have a better chance with a more improved roster so when Mariota is ready, we have a better team?

9. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I'm not against getting Rivers...I'm against giving up the #2 straight up...that would be full retard IMO...and as far as the vastly improved team because of him needs to stop...he had more talent in SD and never made it far...what he gives us is a good vet QB and that's not worth the #2 pick not without at the very least the 17 back

#389 Ontario Titan, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    • High Five High Five x 1
  10. vengeance0909

vengeance0909 Starter

The Union-Tribune San Diego suggests Philip Rivers could retire after this season.

Rivers cut off extension talks with the Chargers in March due to relocation fears. It’s becoming increasingly clear that 2015 could be his last year in San Diego -- assuming he's a Charger this year at all. Rivers, 33, would reportedly consider retirement if confronted with playing in L.A. The Chargers are rumored to be interested in trading up for the No. 2 pick to draft Oregon QB Marcus Mariota.

If the titans trade for rivers I will freak out, YEAH LETS GET A OLD QB TO HELP OUR SUPER YOUNG AND BARELY TALENTED TEAM

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar