WR needs to be our #1 priority

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by User Name, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

You're the first person I've heard make that prediction. It's either DE, S/CB, or WR. Do you think they would use #19 to take a DL?

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

eh ... he ran a good 40 .... so what

here;s a shot
    WR just isn't worth the pick there (imo)
    Sidney Rice may be a better player and can be had in the 2nd

3. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

With Justin being added, now our entire WR corps, (minus Givens), is considered 'young with potential'. We need some vet experience and leadership to go with these young guys. Do I think we go after a WR with #19? Can't honestly say we would. With the addition of Harper, I would say the Titans take the best there is when it's our turn, WR or S/CB or DE.

4. I'm not making a prediction. This isn't the draft board. I'm saying that DLine is our #1 need right now.

5. Architect

Architect Pain Train

I would love a WR in the First Round (Jarrett, Bowe, and Mechum in that order) but I would prefer to grab a quality DE in the first then grab a WR in the second.

6. Nine

Nine Starter

Y'know, I recently discovered something very interesting:

If you look at the past few years and look at the quality and success rate of WR's drafted in the first round compared to the guys drafted in the second round, you'll find that there is almost no dropoff whatsoever from round one two round two. Both rounds have their share of hits and misses, but there's very little difference between the two rounds....very similar quality and success rate.

In otherwords, a team's chances of finding a playmaking WR are no better in the first round than in the second round; this is a direct contrast to most other positions, where the quality and success rate drop off quickly after the first round.

So if a team is looking for a WR, it really doesn't make a difference whether they take one in the first round, or if they wait until the second round...the odds of finding a good one are pretty much the same.

However, if a team has a need at DE or DT, they're much better served taking one as early as possible; the chances of striking gold in the second round or beyond are pretty slim.

As such, I believe the Titans' best bet is to grab the best available DE at #19, and wait until round 2 to grab a WR. There are serious needs at both positions, and this strategy gives them a good opportunity to fix both areas in one day.

(Also worth mentioning: I can name a few bad teams who have great WR's.....can you name any good teams with bad DE's?)

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

That clears it up for me, WR is the way to go.

8. User Name

User Name Hot Dog Water

I really wasn't suggesting that we go WR round 1. What I was saying is somewhere in the draft or FA we need to find a gem. If value is at corner, safety, D-line, or WR at pick 19 we should take'em. I just hope we don't reach. What I was trying to say from jump is we need to put some weopons around my boy Vince. He needs playmakers. Brandon Jones is cool but we only have one of them. Am I the only one who got chill bumps when Vince hit Andre Johnson deep in the Pro Bowl? I was like YO QUIT PLAYING SON

9. Sukrillux

Sukrillux Guest

The #1 priority is defensive end. Who do we have right now? KVB, Odom (injury prone), Laboy (somewhat injury prone), and Conover (who's he?). We basically got one DE going into the draft. I would say that #19 overall will be a DE selection unless we trade to a better pick. Then, that pick would be a DE. Even safety is secondary to DE. WR is third in the minds of the front office. The 2007 season will be Roby's, Roy's, and Orr's "better show something" season. Besides we have Gage and that knocks picking a WR down another round in the draft. :rolleyes:

10. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Stop the damn run.

If you want to compare us to the Colts, look how the Colts fared when they couldn't stop the run mid-season.

It starts and finishes with Run D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar