WR needs to be our #1 priority

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by User Name, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

why would vince young be forced to throw the ball 50 times?

2. User Name

User Name Hot Dog Water

Your right, but I think the people who will start for us at those positions are already on our team.

3. PickledMidget

PickledMidget Camp Fodder

I would hope that we would get a DT first. I think a huge DT and Haynesworth would be a deadly combo. Nobody would be able to run on us between the tackles. Harper and Pacman will be giving us good coverage which means we can be more aggressive with the blitz, which means that a decent DE will get us through.

The Ravens did the right thing last year by listening to Ray Lewis. He asked them to draft a big DT to keep the OL out of his face so he could make plays. This would work for us too. Haloti Ngata from Oregon was the a great pick for their D, which was fabulous last year.

To sum it up, I vote DT.

Anyone ever heard this talk that it takes 3 years to develop a WR? I think MR will find us a WR through a trade (hopefully Darrel Jackson) for some draft picks.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went DT in Round 1 and DE in Round 2 or vice-versa. Gotta fix the run D.

4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I agree that we have to fix the run defense and I've been arguing for some time that our personnel does not fit our scheme in the front 7. If you want to have penetrating DTs like the Bears then you better have bigger Lbers. If you want to have quick, athletic Lbers then you better get some big bodies to keep them clean.

Only problem is that this yr the draft is pretty poor at DT and certainly their is no value at DT at #19 in this draft. Way to early for Harrell or Tank and too low for Okoye or Branch to fall.

I'd like us to look at Paul Soliai from Utah in the 3rd rnd. He is 344lbs and is quick. Ran a 5.12 and his 10yd split was just slower than Okoye and faster than Branch. Another mid rnd guy I like is Keith Jackson for Arkansas. He had over 140 tackles the last 2 yrs which is outstanding production from a DT. He also ran his 40yd 4.85 which is great for a 300 Lber.

I would also consider making an offer sheet to Ethan Kelly the Browns backup NT. He is a wide load and is used to eating up blocks since he has played in a 3-4. It would only cost us our 7th rnder in terms of compensation.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Now that is the correct question.

The answer is not unless you trade down. Once you're past those three guys, out of Charles Johnson, Victor Abiamiri, Tim Crowder, Anthony Spencer, LaMarr Woodley, Jarvis Moss, Quentin Moses, and Ray McDonald -- maybe you take Moss, I dunno. If he is gone, too, then everyone else appears to be a reach at 19.

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I can't figure out if some of you just want to pick up who you want to pick up or don't know this draft, really. We'll get lucky if some "sure thing" along the defensive line falls our way. Either that, or we trade up, which I don't like, or we trade down to take some of these guys you guys are talking about. DE is thin at top, but very deep in the 2nd tier. No one here is a sure thing. They're not talking about anyone more than they did, say, Mario Williams (I have to repeat this point) who did little more than Travis LaBoy last year. If we had a chance at Jamaal Anderson, Gaines Adams or Adam Carriker, I can go along with that. If I don't have a chance at one of them, why overreach just to do it? Can't force a pick into the position.

I can more easily justify corner at 19 with Pacman and Harper, and Pacman I don't need to spell out. Harper is on a three-year deal, which is short-term. Another top-tier corner could sew up these concerns for quite a while. Houston, Revis and Hall are possible in one with Wright, Wade and Wilson later.

Safety. If we draft a safety in one that means he's going to play now. But we probably won't get a shot at Nelson unless Jacksonville drafts a WR or DE, because Deon Grant left. Plus, it's not our philosophy.

I really do think Bowe and Meachem could be a real working fit for us and be a #3 immediately. I would not take Rice, Puck, in two, because 1) he might go higher, 2) he's soooo immature and 3) he can't get off the line, much like Jarrett can't against physical corners. I'm not saying don't go WR in two based on what happens in one, but I am saying Rice isn't the type we need. We need someone who can outwork the coverage and find a spot and catch the ball -- like Mason could.

Defensive tackle is not going to happen in round one unless Branch or Okoye fell out of the sky, or unless we get lucky, draft Carriker, then you constantly refer to him as our "DE/DT." Tackle is a position you pick up again two or later.

I think we either:

1) draft Carriker if available
    2) trade up for Landry if he makes it past 10 and we can work out a trade
    3) consider Nelson if there at #19, or more likely, see if someone want to trade up, which we'll probably do anyway, just to see
    4) or MOST likely, we draft a CB or WR in one; those two positions, more than the rest, will probably still be top tier relative to our pick. There's no other way to look at it. Not saying it will happen, it's just likelihood.

7. User Name

User Name Hot Dog Water

Ah yo I couldn't agree with you more.

8. johnnybow

johnnybow Guest

I think all 1st day picks will be BPA defense. I think the best way to help VY is to get him on the field, our time of posession sucked last year. Titans D couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. You could justify using the 1st Rd pick (or any other 1st day pick) on any defensive position- CB, S, LB, DE, DT, they all could use at least one new starter. The Offense, while having needs, too, just isn't as pathetic as the Defense is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar