Yet another "what if" scenario (trade with Lions)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titanbuoy, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I asked NFL Network's Michael Lombardi what the Titans could expect in return if they swapped picks with the Lions (#8 for #13). His response was "that would normally cost a two and something else."

So how would you feel if the Titans traded back with the Lions (so the Lions could select CB Prince Alphabet), and the first three rounds of the Titans' draft went something like this...

Rd1 - #13 Mike Pouncey G Florida (addresses the teams biggest weakness)
    Rd2 - #39 Andy Dalton QB TCU (my preference, but insert whichever QB you'd prefer if Dalton bugs you)
    Rd2 - #44 (from the Lions) Bruce Carter OLB North Carolina (I'm not a college football guy, but he seems to fit the bill... again... insert whichever LB you'd prefer)
    Rd3 - #77 Stefen Wisniewski, C/G, Penn State (this is just one of those gut things, but I bet the old HOF guard from Penn State lobbies hard for this blood line prospect... with Pouncey and Wisniewski the OL interior is set and the team's best player can run wild).

Personally I have far more concerns with the Titans interior oline than any other area on the team (outside of QB), and with two young dynamic skill position players in place on the roster (CJ and Britt) I think the benefits of shoring up the lines interior might be pretty surprising (especially if forced to start KFC at QB again). I'm also wondering how much more effective some of the defensive players already on the roster will be with better coaching. In waiting until the second round to acquire Dalton I would assume in this scenario the Titans would also land one of the vet QB's on the market (my preference would be Mark Bulger).

Thoughts...

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Guard is not our biggest weakness...I'd be fine with trading back if we could still get JJ Watt.

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I see several major problems with this.

First, the contract the #13 pick will receive is too much money to give to an interior lineman.

Second, I don't believe that the Lions want to give up a second rounder for Amukamara. They have many holes to fill and would be far better off addressing another weakness at #13 (like DE or OL) than selling the farm for the #8 pick. They really need that second rounder and I don't see them trading it.

Third, people are starting to project Wisniewski as a late first rounder. You have him going in the third.

4. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I didn't say guard was the team's biggest need. I'm pretty sure that honor lies at the QB position.

You have to admit seeing virtually ever running play last year beginning with the opposing DT's a yard deep in the Titans backfield was a bit frustrating (especially given the player the titans have back there waiting to take the ball). I've seen Pouncey projected from 13 to 20 as of late, I thought the idea of trading back with the Lions was interesting as it almost assured the Titans of landing Pouncey. Would the rate of pay be that much different if the Titans selected Pouncey at say 17 rather than 12? So much so as to cause the Titans not to perhaps reach a bit for Pouncey at 12 if they felt they felt he was a good fit?

I was also surprised by Lombardi's reply that the cost for the Lions to move up would be their second. Without really having a clue, I thought a third in return might be reasonable.

I like JJ Watt, but from what I've read he doesn't seem like he'd be a dynamic pas rusher as a 4-3 end (at least he he hasn't shown that ability in college). I do love his intangibles and think he'd be a great addition to the Titans DL rotation... but would he be a difference maker on D? If Pouncey is as solid a guard as projected, personally I think his addition would make a huge difference for the Titans offence (much more so than that of Watt to the Titans D).

I've seen Wisniewski projected in the third... if he dropped do you like the idea of Pouncey and Wisniewski teamed with Roos and Stew?

Again... I always feel goofy giving opinions on these guys as I've seen virtually nothing of them actually playing. All I'm doing is using my own personal assessment of the Titans needs (something I'm a little more comfortable with as a long time fan of the team), and then going from from what I've read and heard about the college players and their respective values, try to piece together something. It's really hard for me to be passionate in arguing one way or another for any of the prospects, because honestly I'm just spouting an opinion thats spliced together based soley on the knowledge of various "experts" I've read (as opposed to any real personal take).

5. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

oops.... :smile: :moon2:

hehehe

FWIW I did say this later if you were brave enough to keep reading

but yeah...

:monkey:

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I could also see the Rams trading with us if Julio or AJ are on the board.

The 13th-ish pick could land us: JJ Watt, Cameron Jordan, Aldon Smith, DaQuan Bowers, Robert Quinn, Ryan Kerrigan, Phil Taylor... there's plenty of options.

That extra 2nd would be lovely.

7. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

I still say DE and DT are both much larger needs at this point than a guard.

8. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

If this were to happen, I'd rather us do something like this:

Round 1 (13): Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina - He would be the best player available and could be an elite player in the future. He would also negate the need to re-sign Babin.

Round 2 (39): Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas - My second favourite QB in this draft (behind Jake Locker), he could be a star in the future and I feel his character concerns were proven to be unwarrented at the combine.

Round 2 (44): Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina - Second Tar heel we pick, this pick is agreed.

Round 3 (77): Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson - We need a DT and when you listen to Mike Munchak talk about his O-line, he is raving about it so I doubt he grabs a O-lineman in the first three rounds.

• High Five High Five x 4
  9. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Oh yes!!

10. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Yall are dreaming if you think Quinn falls to 13.

I would not mind Pouncey one bit at 13 because we do suck on the interior o-line and he is a clone of his brother and we all know he was a pro bowl rookie. We need to keep CJ healthy and our QB upright if we want to succeed but as others have said I doubt it happens.

I'll take Kerrigan or Taylor here though.

People are loving Bruce Carter lately but fail to realize as good as he was he is coming off a torn ACL. That scares me as does Bower's knee(s). Mason Foster might be a slight reach here but I'll take him before Carter. Could also go DT/DE again depending on which position we fill with our first round pick assuming it is d-line of course. Then LB round 3 but there is 1000 of these what if situations I'm just talking out loud here I just wish the draft was here already to see it play out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar