You know, I wouldn't mind Hightower at 20

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by joeman546, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeman546

joeman546 Rookie

Yes, 3-4 inside linebacker. Before anyone goes nuts, let me explain why.

6-4 260. Outsizes our LB core to my knowlledge and will provide additional run supporr by clogging holes with quick play recognition. This will allow the line to take more liberties with pass rush.

But the reason Im willing to bite is hearing abo;ut his versatility. He is agood rusher who would be good on the blitz. I was reading this scouting report on him:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...dIWndTjir_Umq3NjXb6x_?&type=scouting#scouting

It occurs to me that he fits a mold similar to Kameron Wimbley, as he could eat a few cheeseburgers, dropdown and play DE for us too. That is something that finally sold me on him.

Oh and, Dont'a is from Tennessee too.

Anyway, I had read that he was gaining interest around our pick number. I just thought it might be cool to grab a guy like him if more elite options werent open at the time.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. patitansfan10

patitansfan10 Camp Fodder

I like Hightower but not sure he fits. If we didn't have Ayers I could see him as our SAM linebacker but he would have to play WILL or MIKE and that would shift McCarthy over from a position he excelled at. WILL has more coverage responsibilities and is usually a faster roaming type of linebacker. Lavonte David is a perfect example of a WILL linebacker and would be a better selection round 2 than Hightower round 1.

3. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

I don't think LB is a crazy idea...if you think about it, we don't have good depth and Witherspoon won't be around for much longer.

I think at #20 its good we have a lot of defensive needs as BPA would work in our favor here.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

If the Titans think he's the best defensive player on the board at 20, they need to take him regardless of what position he plays. Besides, it wouldn't be that hard to find a way to get him and McCarthy on the field.

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

If the FO believes McCarthy can switch to OLB, and dominate still... then sure why not.

McCarthy - Hightower - Ayers/'Spoon would be a solid 43 LB combo, and also gives us flexibility to go into a 3-4 LB set if wanted or needed.

On "Pass-Rushing" sets our front 7 could be:
    --Ayers - Casey - Klug - Wimbley---
    --McCarthy -- Hightower -- Spoon--

I wouldn't mind picking up Hightower. It all depends if McCarthy is wanting to make the switch, and Ayers would have to step down in his role.

6. xpmar9x

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I REALLY don't want to switch an already successful player to another position just because we MIGHT get a good player at another position.

Point of first round picks is so they come in and help the team immediately, and we do not know if that can even work.

I would not mind taking a look at him, but I do not think he fits and it would be a stretch just to justify taking him at this point since we have no real immediate need at linebacker.

8. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I would love to draft Hightower and then switch to the 3-4 or go with a 5-2 look.

Our 5 man front would be Ayers, Morgan, Casey, Klug, Wimbley and then have McCarthy and Hightower as our 2 Lbers. I think that would be a front that would be tough to run on and could generate plenty of pass rush pressure.

9. xpmar9x

I agree man.

Yep, drafting Dont'a will give us a ton of flexibility. I'd love a draft like:

1st -> Hightower
    2nd -> Best DL player (hopefully DT)
    3rd -> Center

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar