Young Interview on NFL.com

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Broken Record, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

What were you talking about? I haven't heard of an IQ test he might have taken.

2. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

There was a story told by one of the Longhorn linemen that was so funny you guys should get a kick out of it.

As I heard it last year as Texas was playing in the Red River Shootout against Oklahoma Texas was walking up to the line of Scrimmage, one of the Oklahoma players saw the formation and shouted out the play they were going to run. He then said something to Vince, to the effect, we know whats coming. Vince looked at him and told him, "Yes, thats the play I'm going to keep it and we are still going to score". All the linemen started laughing. They ran the play, Vince kept it and he scored, right over that linebacker.

3. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

vince is a playmaker

4. Hawk

Hawk Camp Fodder

One of my favorite Vince snippets was the film that went around of the Texas locker room before the OU game last season. A little background for you non-Texas fans, Texas had lost 5 straight to OU coming into this year's game and the Texas coaches and teams had been uptight and coaching and playing scared in most of those which attributed to that losing streak in a big way.

Anyway, in the film of the locker room, Vince turns up some loud hip hop music, shouts "We own the cotton bowl", and starts dancing around doing a back and forth chant to the music with him and the rest of the team. Even the big fat white guy linemen were dancing, it was pretty funny. The point is, Vince had the whole team relaxed, confident, and PUMPED, and he always seemed to.

He has an infectious confidence that seemed to permeate to the whole team. I've never seen anything quite like it. It's the so-called "Vince vibe". He even found a way to get Mack Brown and OC Greg Davis to relax, which was a huge feat as any Longhorn fan could tell you. He had the whole team, hell the fans too, believing that Texas could not lose with him in the game.

And he was right.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

everything I hear about him, you just can't help loving the guy.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

"Yes, thats the play I'm going to keep it and we are still going to score."

This is the distiction between the present day Manning and the future Young. That is the epitomy of clutch. Vince Young will make me forget about McNair in time. Go Vince. I have been sold on you for a while now!

I want more stories like this posted!!!

7. kimberly

kimberly Camp Fodder

and just think of all these kind of memories that we will be talking about over the years with the tiiiiiiiitans guys! i am so excited!

8. Hawk

Hawk Camp Fodder

Here's a story that shows you a little about Vince's leadership, and his competitiveness (from an SI article last year). At the end of Spring practice before last season, Vince went up and wrote on the chalkboard "Anyone who wants to beat Ohio State, meet me on the practice field on June __." The whole team showed up. Vince organized the summer practices since coaches are not allowed to, and he had everyone on the team wanting to participate. Normally these are just 7-on-7, but all the linemen showed up too...everyone on the team followed Vince's lead. Now these are not full contact tackling practices, but in one of the practices, a young DB on the team caught an interception off Vince. He starts showing off and zigging and zagging around running the INT back. Next thing he knows, BAM, Vince has planted his *** into the ground. Vince's quote in the article was classic "Now he knows I'm coming...I'm always coming."

Moral of the story, don't mess with Vince!

This moral was learned well by USC. All my Longhorn friends and I were almost happy in a way when Bush won the Heisman. While we'd have loved for Vince to get it, his reaction at the ceremony told the story. The guy hates to lose, period. Then when ESPN went on and on about how great USC was, we knew it was setting up well for Texas. Vince playing with a chip on his shoulder is a dangerous thing for his opponents.

Mark Mangino of Kansas found that out too. In 2004, Texas barely escaped Kansas with a win (thanks to Vince magically converting a 4th and 18 on the final drive before throwing a 20 yard TD with 11 seconds left to win it). Anyway, Mangino was mad about a questionable offensive interference call against Kansas late that allowed Texas to get the ball back for that final game-winning drive. So Mangino goes off after the game to the press about the Big 12 wanting Texas to make a BCS game and his team was better and wanted it more than Texas, blah blah blah. When Kansas came to Austin last season, Vince made it clear before the game that he was miffed about Mangino disrespecting his team and the coaches the year before, and there was a little war of words before the game about it. What does Vince do in the game? He DESTROYS Kansas (who was a top 20 ranked defense at that point) going off for 4 TD passes in the first half leading Texas to a 52-0 halftime lead. It was flat out ugly.

The moral once again: Don't mess with Vince!

9. Ewker

Ewker Starter

:rolleyes: :whoop:

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

bite me... (I can't wait to make proposition bets with you while tail gatein'...
    good lawd you are going to be my ca$h cow... I'll never run short of beer money for $7 pints... :whoop:

YOUR FACE!:evil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar