Young to Remain #2 Despite Addition of Collins

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said the addition of Kerry Collins was not due to the progress of rookie Vince Young but to add competition at the QB position. "In all likelihood, Vince will remain the two", said Fisher. "It’s going to take Kerry some time to learn the offense. We don’t quite know where he is physically, but we’re going to find and out and we’re going to give him a chance to compete." Fisher said Billy Volek would be his starter for the opener if the game were tomorrow but didn't commit to a starter for the Jets game on September 10. "Billy’s got some competition," Fisher said. "I’ve spoken with Billy, and Billy’s not too awfully pleased about it, but that’s life in the National Football League. We’re going to create competition. We’re trying to do everything we can to make sure the best players are on the field."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Sounds like they're not happy with what they've seen from Volek.
    I don't think that's really fair, but competiton is good.

VY is still #2, so Collins comes in at 3 with a chance to leap frog to 1, which would send Volek to 3?

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think we'll see Rosenshark shopping Volek hard.

4. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Stupidity, on a grand scale.

There is no way KC can perform better than BV.

This is a waste of money.

If they were trying to make sure the "best players" were on the field, then KC would not even be in the picture.

5. Hoffa

Mauck will be cut without playing a single play this preseason.
    His test was last years finale against the Jags. He failed. Too bad for him the team had already quit before that game started.

6. V-MAN

V-MAN I still believe

Get ready for Volek to hit the road fellas...I'm sorry but you don't bring in a vet at QB, pay him over 1mil for a season and hope he rides the pine behind Volek and Young??? Two unproven QB's.

If they are just bringing him in for competition then thats alot of money for some friendly comp huh?? Collins is not my cup of tea, but I'm just being realistic.

If Young is to remain the #2 then Volek will be gone. No doubt.

7. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Exactly. Now we are going to have a guy that will have looked at our play book for all of 2 weeks leading our team? :hmm:

8. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Here is what I think is happening. Collins is being groomed for the Neil O'Donnell role. Lifetime backup to Vince Young. And nexy year it will be Young #1 and Collins #2. Collins is a decent #2 in this league.

All Collins really wants is a paycheck right now. It's a smart move for 'em.

I don't think Kerry will leap frog into the #1 role. I really do think he is third string on the depth chart and will remain so all season.

If Volek sucks, Young will come in. Fisher used McNair in his first season and will not be afraid to plug Young in there either. He has to start playing sometime this year. I don't think squatting him behind Volek and Collins will be at any time acceptable. He will need to get some PT.

9. Hoffa

I don't think they'll hand him the #1 spot if he doesn't beat out Volek. I believe it's Voleks to lose.

10. Hoffa

Makes sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar