Young to Remain #2 Despite Addition of Collins

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I don't particularly like Kerry but this makes sense. It simply makes sense to have another veteren QB on the team. If BV goes down in week two, how smart would Floyd look having only Vince and Matt Mauck as the remaining QB's on the squad? At that point the team would be scambling to get Collins (or the next scrub QB avaiable), and this way Collins has a chance to get up to speed prior to Brittle Bill coming up gimpy. IMO having two veteren QB's on the roster along with Vince as the #1 back-up is the way to go.

On a down note... We could have signed Rob Johnson (waived by the Giants) :ha: I think Jevon Kearse retired Johnson a few years ago, he just hasn't clued into it yet (pleasent memories from better days).

2. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

They basically just did. How is a Collins going to come in and be effective not knowing the offense. What good would it do to hire this guy and piss off Volek unless they felt he was going to start. I think at this point it will be Collins spot to lose not Voleks.

We just spent $1.2 mill of a position we have a $60+ mill player at and Volek's salary. To much fat at one position to carry this on for too long. If we wanted competition at the position it would have come at the begging of camp not under 1.5 weeks till regular season. I never thought we had a playoff team but this move makes me question if the FO wants to win a game. How long will it take Collins to get in sync with the receivers on this team? This is madden we can not just stick some guy in there and he will meld.

So who gets the practice snaps. Young needs time but who gets the main squad snaps? Collins needs them if he is even going to think about getting the timing down and back to game speed. This move pushed Volek to the curb.

3. Bizz21

Bizz21 Guest

How can you not be excited? Haven't you guys seen some of Billy's throws this preseason? He has screwed up some very basic throws that high school quarterbacks could make. I know you guys are worried about him knowing the playbook for only a week, but Billy's known the playbook for over a year and he still cant get our offense into the endzone, so why not try something else.

4. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

In all fairness, it's not all Billy's fault they can't get in the endzone. Yes, I have seen the games, he's made some nice throws that were dropped, some nice drives that were killed by penalities, some questionable play selections by the OC.
    He hasn't been without mistakes, but who has? It's not fair to lay all the blame on Volek.

5. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

Some of you might be missing the point.
    This is going to light a fire under Billy's ***! I like the move. No i'm not that excited about it being Collins, but the Fish has basically already said the move is already working by Billy's reaction.

6. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

They need to keep lighting fires then, there are other behinds that are in need of some heat as well...

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Teams do it all the time.
    The Vikings brought in Brad Johnson last year as a backup.
    49ers have Dilfer as a backup.
    etc etc.

8. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

"I’ve spoken with Billy, and Billy’s not too awfully pleased about it." - Jeff Fisher

Ya think? :ha:

What if Billy goes all "Rosenhaus" tomorrow, hands in his playbook, heads home and demands a trade?

Can't see it happening, but stranger things have. Although I'm not sure walking wouldn't be Billy's best option at this point. I'm sure he'll get zero or very few practice reps for the next two weeks and then might get a shot starting the first game or two before being demoted to third string. I'm sure the Titans won't get offered much for Volek, so what's their motivation to trade him (unless Volek supplies that motivation himself by sitting).

9. Bizz21

Bizz21 Guest

Hoffa,
    Your right, its not all Billy. Some of the drops have killed us and some of the penalities have killed us. BUT, not being able to hit your target on an easy slant or out pattern is all Billy. Also, I am not sure if it's just our offense, but why does he keep throwing 4 yards on a 3rd and 8? It drives me crazy! But, you are right, its not all Billy but at least we can find out if someone else with experience can do better.

10. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

I actually think Billy will have a decent year. Esp if our WR can stay healthy. For us to get near .500 he is going to have to suprise some people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar