Young to Work Hard and Remain Prepared

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

He needs a lot of media training....IF he ever becomes the franchise face again, for this or any other team.

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Vy doesnt need media training. he needs to mature.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Seriously? I doubt it. What words would actually make you feel differently about him at this point?

I don't recall him ever being asked directly by the media but there has been conflicting reports. His coach denies it.

He did. Of course, there were conflicting reports here too. You can believe SI where he said he thought about it and then you have the Tennessean:

"I was never going to quit football,'' Young said. "Football, that is my pride and joy, it is my dream. I am playing my dream. And I don't plan on giving that up any time soon.''

Why would we care what he thinks about his performance two seasons ago? What matters is now and he's at BSP now with the rest of the team.

By saying stuff like "I just have to stay focused and prepared and continue throwing the ball and being ready when they need me." He said that in today's article.

I'm no Young apologist but we're not dealing with anyone remotely close to being media savvy and, regardless, no matter what he says, it won't mean squat until he shows something on the field.

I personally don't care to hear some coached, scripted BS. Remember, Pacman's full-page ad and him saying how he was getting his life right? How many of us bought into that joke?

I'm actually happy he's taking the approach of shutting up and playing. That's all that matters.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Mark Sanchez is going to fall to #30 and we will get him.

sleeper hit.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Comeon, man, I usually agree with you but on this I think you're utterly wrong. There's no way Young could ever explain the 2 first points to the satisfaction of everyone (if anyone). And besides it would just be making excuses, I really don't see how it could have a positive effect.

The same really for #3, what exactly does explaining his poor play contribute to the future? Nothing what so ever. It's like asking any of the defensive players why they missed tackles last year. It doesn't accomplish anything. As long as they attend practice, work hard and try to become better, that's all they can do.

I agree with you on #4, but that's also what I think he's doing. He's saying he's going to work hard, be a backup to Kerry and if he gets the chance he will be ready to go. What more do you want him to say? He's saying that he will work hard and that he will respect the decisions of the coaches, be it for him to play or ride bench. How is this bad???

The dude isn't exactly a cunning linguist, but all he's saying is that talking about the past doesn't help the future (and I couldn't agree more) and that he's just going to be ready to go if and when the coaches need him.
    Or would you rather he demands to be the starter, a trade or release and sits out until he gets his will. Yeah that would show great maturity... :rolleyes:

People seriously need to stop living in the past. Trying to explain or justify things that happened last year won't win us any more games this year. So just move on already. If the coaches feel like he's ready and good enough to play, he will play, if not he won't.

Oh and just for fun and giggles:
    I am just leaving that to other people and trying to get myself in shape and get myself ready. I do know I am healthy and my body feels great and it’s been a long time since I’ve felt that way. But I can’t even think about my time. I just have to stay focused and prepared and continue throwing the ball and being ready when they need me."

“I don’t want them to give me anything. I just want to come in and earn everything.’’

How's that for defeatist rhetoric?? Guess people read what they want to read...

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. JimOkc

JimOkc Camp Fodder

1) He did address this after the Jags game (as did his coach and some of his teammates). The things that I have read about what his teammates say indicate to me that he has the support of his teammates.
    2) This has been addressed by Vince and he stated that it had nothing to do with the game. It was off the field problems concerning family.
    3) This point refers to a second and third year player at the hardest position in sports. Inexperienced players (as the norm and not the exception) make bad plays. More of the time (as I feel in this case) it is due to immaturity and that lack of experience and they press too hard trying to do too much.
    4) He is working with teammates presently in a voluntary situation. He knows that Kerry is presently the starter. He knows that all he can do is be ready to give his best effort when called. We know that he wants to start. Else, there wouldn't have been the answers that Fisher gave a few weeks back.

In my opinion, and I would think this is closer to fact, he could do all of these things and more and it might not matter. Because the organization (not him, the media, you or I) is going to decide whether and when he plays, starts or sits on the bench.

All he can do, is what he said. Be quiet and do what they ask him to do (whether it is start, back up, or sit and watch) and be ready for his opportunity should it present itself. You call that "Classic defeatist passive rhetoric", I see it as a clearly logical assessment of what he needs to do.

I personally do not have any problem with the fact that he returned to school last year. The timing may not have been ideal. I realize that it probably happens with players that leave college early and want to get the degree.

Your post is exactly the kind of "hoopla" that Vince was speaking about. NO WIN situation.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Maturing isn't going to change the way he speaks in front of a camera, or necessarily keep him from being too nervous to say the wrong thing. Those two things are not mutally exclusive.

Emmitt Smith, anyone?

What did Vince say in 2006? Something like:

"Somebody need to tell them to get on they job."

Come on....funny stuff, but maturing isn't going to change that. You have to be taught how to be mentally prepared. Even Presidents need it. Why would VY be any different?

8. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

I was reading an article on ESPN and it said the Titans should draft a receiver because Kerry Collins needs weapons. I was just wondering why is it that wasn't a priority when Vince was QB. Im happy we selected CJ obviously, but im a little irate' that everyone is so high on a WR now that Kerry is asking for one when clearly that is what assisted Vince in his downfall in 07'.

9. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Because he sucked so bad that spending top dollar on receivers would have been a waste.

You can't expect much more from the dumbest quarterback to ever play the game.

10. titanflamer

titanflamer Starter

I agree most everyone wants to see Vince do well. I know I do, though I am not the best V fan on this board. But it would be nice to see a little something from our number 1 pick.

I think he has at least swallowed some pride and taken a little advice. What good a basketball player can do him remains to be seen, but at least it is a start, or at least more than I know of him doing before. ( For all I know he might have even talked to P Manning.)

I hope his quote about the " I cant win" is his interpretation of what he thinks is being said of him. He has shown he can win, but he has showed a little stubbornness as well. I think maybe he sees the light, that he has to watch what he says, adapt to whats needed.

He will probably never develop a regular throwing motion, throw perfectly into tight spots every throw or always recognize the blitz. I hope for this talented young man he learns to do some of these things better.

I do believe he feels better than he has for a while. He should with the rest last season and this off season.

Not trying to preach or brag on him, but I do remember some amazing things he did, and if he has the chance I will pull for him to surpass these amazing feats, as I believe most of us Tn fans would like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar