Youngs Not Concerned With Passing Percentage

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Titans QB Vince Young ranks currently last in the NFL in completion percentage at 45.7 percent. However, it doesn't appear to be a concern to Coach Jeff Fisher. "Our philosophy with Vince will change over time, but we are not taking advantage of Vince in the three-step passing game where the completion percentage could be much higher because I don't think it does anything to the defense," Fisher said. "When Vince is back in the pocket with the potential to run, that is when the defense has to be that much more concerned." Young also isn't concerned about his completion percentage as he remains focused on winning. "A lot of people want me to throw for this and that, but all that matters to me is the (wins) and the progress of my teammates," said Young. "I don't care about stats."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

"Vince will change over time"........can someone translate that? I have never mastered Fisherspeak.

3. Nine

Nine Starter

Try keeping things in their original context....

"Our philosophy with Vince will change over time, but we are not taking advantage of Vince in the three-step passing game where the completion percentage could be much higher because I don't think it does anything to the defense," Fisher said​

Fisher is basically saying their offensive philosophy will develop as Vince progresses. Right now, they're not utilizing three-step drops, which are typically high-percentage passes that tend to inflate the QB's completion percentage.

4. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Well he should start caring about stats next season bcz you can't win with poor stats.

I think what coach is saying in a nutshell is:
    "we don't care how bad VY plays this season.. as a matter of fact i wouldn't give a rat's *** if he lost the final 6 games of the year.. This QB is the future of this team and he deserves at least one season to spread his wings and get comfortable with being an NFL QB. There's no way we can reach the playoffs this season so let him just play and get comfortable with the NFL and next year you'll see a whole different QB - i promise"

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I translated the following. "I will continue to run a conservative offense ad nauseum."

6. Nine

Nine Starter

Okay, you be the coach....you've got a very talented but very raw rookie QB. Do you throw the entire playbook at him all at once, or do you bring him along incrementally with an offensive philosophy that plays to his strengths?

Three-step drops usually mean high-percentage, quick-hitting passes....a lot of short slants and quick out patterns. While these plays may not seem terribly complex, they can actually be quite demanding; they require the QB and WR's to be very much on the same page with their reads and timing, and they require a great deal of accuracy...a sloppy route, bobbled ball, or slightly off-target pass can easily result in a turnover. All three have been problems for the Titans offense this year...it's only logical that the coaching staff would develop a scheme to de-emphasize their weaknesses and play to their strengths.

As Vince develops and the QB/WR rapport improves, I'd expect to see these concepts worked more and more into the offense....but probably not this year.

7. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

What Fisher ment to say was... " We don't run a 3-step drop because Young is not accurate enough and he can't read or decipher the defense that fast... and before you, the media ask... it has nothing to do with his Wonderlic score of 6 ". " Continuing that thought... if any member of the media says that the Texas', one-read, shotgun offense on every play was a redflag or a sign of concern at the NFL level... Bud Adams says your wrong and not to worry ".

8. zackmann

zackmann Guest

:rolleyes: :bsflag: :flush:

9. Nine

Nine Starter

Your disappointment in Vince is understandable....the other rookie QB's have been so much more successful, even though they weren't nearly as NFL-ready....

Bruce Gradkowski...3-5 record, 1455 yards total offense, 9TD's, 6 INT's, 9 fumbles
    Matt Leinart....1-5 record, 1377 yards total offense, 8 TD's, 7 INT's, 5 fumbles
    Vince Young.....3-4 record, 1299 yards total offense, 9 TD's, 8 INT's, 7 fumbles

Vince's performance is particularly disappointing when you consider the spectacular talent with which he has worked....Young has a veritable all-star cast of WR's, while Leinart and Gradkowski are forced to work alongside a bunch of inexperienced no-talent hacks.

:rolleyes:

(I should also mention: we're obviously disappointed with Vince's 45% completion rate, but it's not like Leinart and Gradkowski are tearing it up...both are at 53%.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar