Your favorite potential Free Agent move.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by nickmsmith, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I'd like to get a FB who is more of a threat running the ball and catching the ball. McClain would fit that mold. That would allow us to use the FB more to block for CJ but keep the defense honest if the guy can run occasionally. With Hall the defense basically ignores him as a runner and passing threat.

We don't need a bunch of FAs to make improvements. We just need a couple in a few weak areas. S needs to be addressed. It depends on how much confidence they have in Johnson but based on last season when he couldn't even be active for games I'm not sure about him.

They just need to re-sign Babin if they can do it for a decent deal. But I see him as more of a situational rusher. I'd like to see more bulk on early downs.

2. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Hall doesn't get the chance to show he can catch and run. Now is he a huge threat out of the backfield no but hes underrated at it and was never utilized by our imaginative coordinators we used to have. They also were stumped at finding a way to get Randy and Britt on the field at the same time and how to use Cook until Bo said some things Fish didn't agree with. It's sad how bad our coaches/coordinators were at utilizing players strengths. We wasted a year and half trying to get Cook to be a blocking tight end. That is like trying to make Dallas Clark or Gates into Craig Stevens.

McClain would be fine as a change of pace 8-10 carry guy while CJ gets 20 touches but I don't think he likes being a FB very much he wants the rock and I wouldn't be opposed to it. But don't get rid of Hall just because we get McClain they fill 2 very different roles.

I could care less if Babin signs he was a product of the system just line up wide put your head down and rush the passer. Don't worry about the run game or containment. Our system won't be this way anymore with Gray taking over.

3. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

why not the jets did it last year why cant we and after looking at it i think the only 2 that would cost us some money is manny lawson and floyd as the giants d end didnt even start so he has fallen out of favor and will be looking for a starting spot along with darren sharper who may just want to play still for how old he is....and i would still take him over hope

id rather have someone like Mathias Kiwanuka than a dt when this draft is so deep in dt talent we can address it through the draft and get a solid starting d end for us in kiwanuka and a huge upgrade to our outside backer if we sign lawson

floyd would help take the double teams off of britt and if we brought in him and brought moss back have d will running slot and even at times have britt there with moss and floyd wide....who they gonna double team?

4. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

I'm not saying it wouldn't be beneficial, I mean if we could sign all these players and have a perfect draft and go to the playoffs next year that'd be great. However, realistically you have to understand that a team has to make selective moves and 'build' a team over the course of a few years instead of 'buying' a team and sticking them together over one off-season. Not saying you shouldn't be optimistic, that's the point of this thread, but just keep it realistic too.

5. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

well i just gave options....the 3 moves i would make for sure are manny lawson as everyone wants a linebacker who can cover tight ends and with his speed i believe he could but i havent watch him play a ton over the past year and Mathias Kiwanuka who is good against the run and pass and wouldnt be to expensive as he has been in the shadows in ny d line and 3rd would be floyd who is a big athletic reciever who could play opposite of britt....

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Jonathan Joseph

7. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

Could be wrong but I believe Lawson was a D-Lineman at NC State, and would be much better suited for a 3-4 and not a 4-3.

8. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Yeah which he plays in right now in SF.

I'd like to see us do something like this in FA.....

Veteran QB: Matt Hasslebeck / Marc Bulger

RB with size: Leron McClain / Jason Snelling

Big DT: Barry Cofield / Brandon Mebane (slide JJ outside?)

SS for cheap with upside: Atari Bigby / Bob Sanders

Last possibly being a CB but I think we either need a high level FA from CB or DT and think D-Line will need it the most with possibly 3 free agent DE's walking. A defensive tackle could let JJ slide out which some disagree with and some agree with. I think it makes a lot of sense if we let all 3 leave because Jones can't take the beating inside and would be much healthier and still a force on the end opposite Morgan. I do hope we keep Ford though as a situational rusher. Ball and Babin are replaceable and were products of the sytem which you can agrue all are but Ford still has upside and a good first step.

Morgan Mebane/Cofield Brown Jones
    Hayes, Marks, Haye, and Ford rotating in along with probably a rookie DE/DT sometime during the draft to round out the line.

9. titanbaknedkly

titanbaknedkly Starter

I would really llike to see us sign Shaun Rogers and trade (after CBA is reached) and get Haynesworth back. Those 2 at DTs together would bring instant nastiness and fear to the league and opposing QBs. Sign Mathias Kiwanuka for DE and move Jason Jones to the outside and our dline is set. Gives us great height all along the dline to disupt passing lanes but gives us enough speed, strength, and quickness to rush the QB and collapse the pocket. With Haynesworth and Rogers in the middle the run game might as well get cancelled. On 3rd and long bring in Brown (get weight down to 280 or so to help with speed and knees), Morgan, and other situational rushers, and slide Jones to DT on those downs and we still maintain quickness to get to the QB. That would solve 85% of our secondary problems there. With that line I would like us to play more tight man coverage like the last game of the season as QBs would look to get the ball out quickly. This would give our CBs chances to make plays, especilly Verner. Not sold on Finnegan anymore. Makes too many mistakes and stupid penalties now. Maybe let him play a nickel or move to safety.

Lastly I would like to cut Marks and Haye and pick up either John Henderson or Marcus Stroud to get some more bulk and height up front. Every thing else on the line and LB core can be addressed in the draft. Possibly sign Keith Bullock back just so he can retire a Titan.

10. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

so you would take our best dt that we have and only make him a situational player? we only need one of the dt you listed and rodgers has to much baggage and we got rid of vince already so i would go with stroud

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar