Your offseason plan

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Textitan, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo

Bobo Guest

D - go after Freeney, Adalius Thomas, maybe other DE's
    resign Smith and Brown
    start Fuller
    start Tulloch
    start Finnegan

O - restructure Henry
    try to keep Drew with a decent contract
    resign Wade, Bell, Amano
    keep o-line the same (maybe try to upgrade Olsen)
    maybe persue Moss, and/or Tony G

upgrade whatever we can in the draft

resign Fish long term....I'm still iffy about Reese

2. zackmann

zackmann Guest

just off the top of my head...

I would sign (at least) these 4 players in free agency:

Tony Gonzalez
    Terdell Sands
    Nate Clements
    A vet backup QB

in the draft, my first 6 picks would go to (in order):

Patrick Willis (or the next best LB)
    Oline
    WR
    DLine
    RB
    CB/S

I would be tempted to play more 2 TE sets with TG and troupe/scaife...

for instance, VY in the shotgun with Givens/Jones/Scaife/Gonzalez/Henry...

on defense I am curious about switching to a 3-4...

KVB, Sands, Odom
    Bulluck, Willis, Tulluch, Thornton
    Clements, Hope, FS, Pacman

FS=Lowry, Fuller, Hill, or Cortland...I'd like to see Cortland play some safety...

3. Sannyasin

Sannyasin Guest

We are in need of an additional above average starter at DE (We have zero pass rush, literally last in the league, that has to change), DT (We need someone beside AH), CB (Hill needs to be #1 backup), and FS (LT needs to never see the field). While a #1 WR would be great it simply isn't anywhere near the need that the defense is. We haven't seen what Givens, Wade and Jones can do with an off-season to work with Young.

#1 Priority: Sign Asante Samuel in FA
    - There are no shutdown corners in this draft at any pick. Even the first round CBs will require a couple seasons of coaching to be above average starters. This would be a HUGE, HUGE pickup; we need to make it almost all costs.

#2 Priority: Re-sign Travis Henry, Bobby Wade, Robaire Smith and Rien Long (all the other FAs can walk including Bennett, Sirmon, and Brown)
    In this order:
    - Wade is our long-term answer at slot receiver and special teams. Sign him for as long as we can.
    - Travis Henry and Lendale White form a very solid power running tandem; sign Henry to a 3 year deal so his contract expires when we need to resign Pacman and/or Young (he will be replaceable at that point).
    - Robaire Smith is a slightly below average starting DT (i.e., a very good backup DT). He should be paid accordingly. If he wants more, let him walk.
    - Long is an average backup DT, but he might take less than a comparable depth player would given team ties. If he wants more, let him walk.

#3 Priority: Make a hard push for Freeney, at the very least push the price up on him. Put out feelers to Terdell Sands in FA, he could be the run stuffing DT we need next to Haynesworth. I wouldn't hate it if we signed Hamlin (S) but there is so much depth at S this year in the draft it feels like a waste.
    - If Freeney will sign for no more than the current largest DE per year contract in the league, lock him up long-term. Otherwise, make it a draft priority.
    - If Sands will sign for 1/2 to 2/3 of the Henderson/Stroud deals, lock him up long term.

#4 DRAFT:
    I'm assuming that we signed Samuel.
    - First round pick (DT Alan Branch, DE Gaines Adams, WR Calvin Johnson and RB Adrian Peterson will be gone) needs to go to: DE Jamaal Anderson, DT Glenn Dorsey, DT Amobi Okoye, DT Fred Odam, DE Quentin Moses, S Reggie Nelson, S Laron Landry in that order of preference (i.e. a DT or DE; you simply can't get dominant players at these positions lower than the first round historically).
    - Second round pick needs to go to the best FS available (Laron Landry and Reggie Nelson will be gone): Michael Griffin, Brandon Merriweather, Damien Williams in that order of preference.
    - Third round pick needs to go to the best DE or DT available (the opposite of what was chosen in round 1): DE - Louis Holmes, Anthony Spencer; DT - Justin Harrell, Marcus Thomas, Brondon Mebane. In the crazy event that a WR like Dewayne Bowe fell to 3rd, you'd have to take him, but that won't happen.

- Second day needs: OG, C (depth to learn behind Mawae and Olsen), a speedy pass catching back for third down and long (if Lorenzo Booker is there in the fourth, laugh all the way to the bank), and a QB to learn behind Vince Young and be his backup in the 6th or 7th (Zabransky or Trent Edwards come to mind).
    - If we can trade a second day pick this year for a higher pick next year, do it.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Facts?

You might want to look up the word FACT in the dictionary.

Bennett dropped 2 more passes on Sunday, but I guess you chalk up that FACT to...what was it again? VY threw it to the correct spot (the numbers) and DB wasn't ready for it? Or after a full season of practice they don't have the right chemistry yet? Or the ball was a little wet so it's not his fault he dropped it?

And move Bulluck to FS? Did you really say we should 'trust you?' And what FACT do you have to suggest Bulluck would be a GOOD FS? His limited college experience? Come on, Bennett played some QB in college but I don't see you suggesting he would play better than VY, right???

And really, you're barking up the wrong tree. If Bulluck's biggest weakness is in taking on blocks and his greatest strength is his pursuit, why would you scheme him to have to take on more blocks rather than less? For example, on one goal line play, Bulluck is aligned in the middle of the defense and yet Thornton (who's better at taking on blocks) is on the edge? Not surprisingly, when NE runs it up the gut, Bulluck doesn't make the play. You can blame Bulluck for not overcoming his weakness, or you can realize that the DC put him in a position to fail...not succeed. Some of the best players in the league at their positions have serious flaws...but they become the best players in the league by being put into positions to maximize their strengths and minimize those flaws. JS doesn't know how to do that.

Gut

5. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

you guys act like you are so much smarter than Schwartz...

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Well, I always thought Schwartz was supposed to be a money baller like Tony Larussa, but he's not looking at the numbers at all. And I don't get that. Cause they gotta be pointing to guys like Finnegan when looking at total team effciency. I like moneyball. It works for Larussa and currently for the Rockets GM, but what I don't get is why Schwartz is saying that our ranking doesn't matter, cause he supposed to be a stat guy.

7. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Actually it was to his left, not on the numbers, and yes, the ball was wet, etc. Even Drew was upset he didn't make the catch. They aren't going to catch every ball, and Drew ended up being our leading receiver, but all you can focus on is the one he drops. You are a little fixated on this aren't you?

8. Bulluck is our leading tackler but you say he isn't very good. What's the difference?

9. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

First, don't put words in my mouth, or make silly comparisons to replacing Young with Bennett. LT has to be replaced, and Bulluck might be able to do that so we don't lose him. He is not producing at OLB. You are going to blame Swartz because Bulluck decided to run BEHIND KVB instead of filling the gap at the goal line? What is it that you think LB's are supposed to do? How can Swartz minimize a LB that can't get off blocks to play his side, or stuff the run? You can't have it both ways. If we are going to have a first class defense, you can't make allowances for bad play because a player has been around a while. This isn't a popularity contest, it's football.

10. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Offseason Moves

IMO we need to get help in 4 areas:

FS - lamont is really struggling, and we gave him ample of oppurtunies; although he did show signs but i dont know

WR - not that we dont have a good core, and interested to see wat orr has to offer (didnt mean to ryme there) but anyway i think we need a long term option and hopin to find it in the draft (@ 19th i would love to land jarrett, if he declares which i think he will)

DE - dwight freeny?? i ****ing wish

CB - hill would be a good backup...asante samual/nate clements...those i think would be hte top options.

ur opinions???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar