Your overall thoughts on the Titans draft

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by psychotictitan, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

A-/B+

MR has been a great hire, IMO.

2. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

I doubt this will be a draft that any of the talking heads will praise MR for. But look at the teams they talk about the most... the ones who go for the big name players and reach for need. The FO continued with the same draft philosophy as last year - avoid overhyped players, look for those who excel in areas that fit our system, and get good value. Although they won't get much praise outside this board for a while, I feel this draft class will be one that Kiper and crew will rate as A+ in the years to come.

3. Tru Blu

Tru Blu Hit Em Harder

im overall content, i really like the Jared Cook pick alot, and can we stop comparing him to ben Troupe please lol

4. smili

smili Starter

When I saw this thread I though "I wish we would've done more to address D-line," and your post pretty sums up my thoughts. Our D depends on pass rush and I think it'll take more pressure from elsewhere to make up for AH. A DE pick would've rounded things out.

Hope trading away next yrs #2 doesn't come back to bite us.

5. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Overall i loved this draft! I think the Titans actually did what we wanted. We may not have gotten certain players we wanted but Kenny Britt is a monster and Dominique is pretty beast also. We addressed our Defense and im sure we'll sign a few Veterans from the Colts like we always do to compete with the Rookies. Great Job Titans!!!

6. Pjames32

Pjames32 Starter

Overall, I don't think I've ever been more excited about one of our draft classes. I think we made great picks top to bottom and filled a lot of needs and depth.

7. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Very excited about this draft, there wasn't one pick I didn't like. I would have liked to have seen a mid round QB thrown in there but at the same time I like the players we got better than I would have a Rhett Bomar or Nate Davis but time will tell.

I gotta say I was stunned when we got Kenny Britt. To me that was the biggest shock in the whole draft. I was 100% convinced we were getting a corner or LB there. Before the pick I remember saying "Yea I would be cool with Malauluga here." But (and I'm not just saying this) I thought Britt was the best receiver in the draft. To me, he just had the least amount of question marks about him and he seems starter ready.

Marks is just a good pick that fills a need. I was hoping for Ron Brace but he didn't fall that far which I didn't think he would.

I must admit I didn't get the Cook pick at first but after a bit of reading up I love it. If we lose Scaife and Crumpler next year we will have a good blocking tight end in Stevens and a good receiving one in Cook. I like that combo a lot.

Ryan Mouton seems like a very good pick. Reading up on him he does sound a bit like Finnegan. I also hope he wins the return job, Mark Jones just doesn't excite me much, he's like a poor mans Chris Carr.

Finally I do love the Ringer pick. It was unexpected for sure but a player like that is too good to pass up, great value and maybe a replacement for White. But worst case scenario is he he becomes the 3rd man in our rotation. So is it Smash, Dash and Crash now?

8. chowdersoup

chowdersoup Guest

Very solid draft...MR is showing he is the man for the job

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I dunno. I think that we got the WR we thought we'd be able to get, and I think he will be good, and I like him on film, but I look at all the WR's in the first round, and we get the tail end of that list. We had a lot of picks. The WR's were sliding, and we almost still miss out. I would have liked to see us use that 2nd or the 4th and move up to get Maclin who slid. Who was in our ball park at that point. We had a lot of picks and we could have moved up a little to get a real playmaker and a returner. Anytime you are at the tail end of a run you ought to worry that maybe you don't want to be there, cause the value is diminished. I like that he is buff, and strong, I just didn't see the speed on film. He looks like he loves to play football. That I like.

Then I look at the 2nd pick. We get a backup DT. Do we really need him? I mean how many plays will he see over the next 5 years. Jason Jones is gonna get the majority of the plays. So why not spend a late round pick on someone who will be a permanent backup, rather than a second round pick. I'd like to get a future starter out of the 2nd and 3rd picks.

Now to the third pick. We basically spend a 2nd round pick on a 3rd round guy. At a position that we already have three guys at, and to whom we gave a high pick last year. So what it is the deal. I think he will be our best TE, I'm just saying, I'm not sure that a 2nd rounder is worth it. Maybe. I like the pick. I'm excited about it. I'm just thinking we lose a TE because of it too. So the gain has some drawbacks too. At least he will start eventually so I like that.

All other picks make sense. We needed some rb depth as evidenced last year when CJ wet down. We got one. We got some depth at a few positions. Took some chances. All good.

I'd give us a C+. But I do like that we tried to get skill players who will make a red zone difference. We needed to do that. And finally, a WR. Finally.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think this'll be another boom or bust type of draft we won't know about for about three seasons.

Britt has the tools but I've read a lot of mixed reviews on him which include far too many drops, prima donna syndrome, etc. I've also heard he has T.O.-type talent. He'll be exciting.

Marks is another who may be a real find but injury issues and lack of strength is a concern for me. I've made him the early favorite to get chewed on the most by Wash this training camp. If he responds well, he can be a solid find.

I like the Cook pick the best. He seems to be the surest deal of the draft. He has crazy athletic ability but isn't a blocker. That'll have to change but I can see Dinger sliding him to the outside and creating some mismatches. Linebackers will have fits trying to cover this guy.

Mouton may be a bit of a reach but if he can return and challenge for the nickel, then he'll be a valuable addition. I don't see him as being the future starter at CB I was hoping the Titans would find in this draft but we'll have to wait and see.

I like McRath but he doesn't seem to be what the Titans need in the middle unless he bulks up significantly. He does seem very productive and might be a special teams star early on. In the least, he seems like nice depth who may mold into a starter.

Kropog should handle the backup duties at both T and G. It's a important role and this guys seems to have a ton of ability. I think he was great value here.

Ringer is a head-scratcher for me because I would have thought the goal would have been to find a big, short-yardage guy who can pick up the tough yards. Sort of the opposite of CJ's style. Ringer seems to be a tweener who might be a solid third-down RB or spell CJ but doesn't seem to be the future replacement for White.

I won't get into the rest. Most seem to have speed or the size/speed combination which makes them worth a look. With the Titans success with their late-round picks, one or two of these guys might find their way onto the practice squad.

Overall, I thought the Titans did a solid job in filling needs and finding value. IF the majority of their picks pan out, it could be the draft which takes the Titans to the next level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar