Your overall thoughts on the Titans draft

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by psychotictitan, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satkins2252

satkins2252 Starter

I like Kenny Britt. I dont love him yet, but I like him. Sen'Derrick was ok considering the 3 centers (Mack, Woods, and Unger) and 2 corners (Smith and Butler) were gone. I think our 3rd round was terrible. I hated it. Trading a 2nd next year for a TE was a terrible move. I would have preferred Macho Harris instead of Mouton but I dont know much about Mouton. I hear he's aggresive which I like. I dont have a problem with the rest of the draft but I didnt quite understand the Javon Ringer pick. I like him a lot but we dont need RB. He will replace Henry if he makes the roster because I think we like Ganther too much. Finally the highlight of this draft for me was the undrafted free agent pickup Mitch King. I wanted him much earlier and we landed him as an undrafted! I love it. This guy is talented. He reminds me somewhat of Vandenbosch. Overall, B - B+. Very conservative, very effective.

2. satkins2252

satkins2252 Starter

Yeah but 2 2nd's are better than 1. Also I dont think you can reciever a 2nd round comp. pick.

3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I was just giving my opinion. Don't get your panties in such a wad Roll.

here ya go;

1st: Rey Maualuga(LB), Alphonso Smith(CB) or Darius Butler(CB)
    2nd: Shonn Greene(RB), Jarron Gilbert(DT), Michael Johnson(DE) or Ramses Barden(WR)
    3rd: Roy Miller(DT), Lawrence Sidbury(DE), Antoine Caldwell(OG), Travis Beckum or Cook(TE) without trading 2010 2nd rounder.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We got the best players possible in the biggest need areas.

Britt was the best Wr on the board. There simply was no WR prospect in rd 2 & 3 that was close. Not barden nor tate with the drug program issue.

Marks was the best value and best need player in rd 2.

The only way to get cook in rd 3 was to trade for that pick.

There were several good players we could have taken in rd 1. Butler would have taken care of our CB needs. Hood our DT needs. But if we take one of those guys who takes care of our WR needs?

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mouton's 40 time was 2 tenths of a second better than harris who lasted until the 31st pick of rd 5. I'm not crazy about mouton either but he was the fastest CB on the board and is also a good kick returner.

We got some insurance with another CB later in rd 6.

6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Rounds 1 through 3 went well for us. Trading a 2nd next year is kinda out there but we must like Cook quite a bit for us to do that.

Britt looks like a Beast, yes, a Beast. The kid is gonna be great. Marks seems like a tough kid too. And hopefully he'll do great and work hard under Coach Washburn and turn into a Beast too.

Trading up for Cook might turn out to be a bigger deal that it might appear at first glance. MR alluded to the fact that we could potentially have 2 free agent TEs next year. I may be reading too much into that, but still. From everything I've seen on him points to him being a big, fast, wideout turned TE, who creates huge mismatches against defenders.

After the 3rd round though, we kinda just have to hope that some of those picks work out.

We walked away Sunday with 2 CBs and 2 OL, another speed WR, a LB, and a S. The Ringer pick was a brow-raiser if you ask me. Overall though, we did great.

7. smili

smili Starter

After thinking about the picks I think a general trend of smaller and faster emerges in the Titan's picks.

On Defense have you noticed that many of our picks over the past couple of years tend to be average to undersized for their position - but fast?

On offense, I wonder if we're in the process of transitioning to a different style of offense. CJohnson, Rafeal Little, Ringer, - not exactly Eddie George/Lendale White/Chris Brown type backs. (I'm assuming Lendale is gone after this year)

I wonder if last year's playoff loss caused a fundamental strategy shift to build a team with the ability to come from behind. Cowher made the change with Pittsburg to become more aggressive offensively after losing in the playoffs with a top defense and top running game - I wonder if we're maybe in the same place?

8. smili

smili Starter

My sentiments also. As much as we depend on D-line I feel like we need more force here. We have alot of guys who can play, but do we the game changer on D-line? That guy that can come up with the key play now that the matchups will be less favorable with AH gone?

I guess we've gotta see somebody step up and become more than they were.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar