Your thoughts on Fisher

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SawdustMan, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

Played out IMO.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree with this. Fisher's greatest holdback is not making adjustments quickly enough. This year, there may not be a lot to be done about it, but it's still bad if no attempt is made.

I said before he needs to pull a Wade Phillips on defense and make Cecil learn from him. Yesterday was somewhat better, and we got hamstrung with injuries, but overall, I would have liked to have seen Fisher manage the D more himself. Maybe he's too much of "The Fisher King" to want to come do the dirty work himself. I dunno.

From a depth perspective, the clear mistake is that we did not pay Chris Carr. It was foolishisness over $500k, the exact amount the Ravens paid him above the Titans' offer. I won't debate Haynesworth at all, and that was an organizational call overall, but I think with Carr, we could have been 2-1 at least. Now with Fuller out, Carr would have stepped into the nickle role at least. Might have gotten another start at outside corner, but certainly would be playing 60% of the defensive snaps. A larger role is what he wanted and the team was too blind to tell him he would "be in the mix." It's a problem we had before, finally got it fixed, and thought the guy was too demanding. It came down to Fisher's opinion as the head coach.

In short, I think he's too prideful at times, but I have no idea what can be done about it at this point of the season. Only thing he can really do is force guys to develop and we have to pray he changes his in-game approaches.

Next year, there will likely be a hemorraging on defense, and we'll probably be in a pickle at the QB position as well. I don't know if a rally cry is going to turn it around as it did once upon a time.

However, despite all that, I think everything can be fixed except returner, as it stands now. I think Mouton may continue to get the looks for a while. I think he and McCourty can play defense for us. I think our approach to offense needs to change a bit, but I'll save that for later. We are kind of close, but we simply cannot ride Collins' arm as our primary offensive weapon. He's got to be used more like he was last year, and that's what Fisher's real challenge is ahead.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. memphis_raven

memphis_raven Starter

There comes a time when a coach's message starts to ring hollow and he can't use the same stuff to motivate. Look at the Ravens, Falcons, Jets, even Denver. Younger guys with high energy. That's what will shake up the team and get them motivated again - Jets are probably the textbook example.

4. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I mean the Bucs have already benched Leftwich after 3 games for Johnson. Not sure bout the Bucs' coaching staff but they had the balls to do it. We can too.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Gut is as usual right on several counts. I'll give Jeff this from the last game: he activated Ford and Vickerson as he should have before. I don't think he'll make that mistake again.

I'm convinced we need to see White more as the featured back, simply for the pound pound pound nature of the run game, which controls the clock better for us and wears down the opposing defense. He wants used. Use him. I don't say a ton, but I say around 12-15 carries a game. Meanwhile, I don't altogether remove CJ from the equation. I would like to see him lined up in the slot and out wide with LenDale on the field. This is one area they have not dared approach yet, and I'm still waiting for it to happen. LenDale does need to be on the field more to prevent Collins from having to throw the ball 30+ times a game. We do NOT want to be "that team," no matter who the QB is right now. It's the real reason why Kerry is failing, IMO, and why I think Young would have more success - because even if that many passing plays were called, Young would invariably turn around 6 of them into running plays and extend drives...thus wearing out the defenses more.

So, I agree Fisher's made more changes than usual. But he's still got some more to make, in my view. I just want to see him get ahead of the curve, for once, instead of chasing it.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Yes. This is exactly where I was coming from with my original post. As I said, I've always been a big Fisher fan and I do think he has what it takes to win a championship (just not so sure it's going to happen here).

I know he isn't out there playing god awful defense, he's not out there fumbling, he's not out there throwing 10+ consecutive incompletions etc. etc. etc. But after four heartbreakers in a row I think you have to start looking at the coach, questioning his decision making and wondering how much he's really getting through to his players.

7. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Fisher is a players coach. He's more about just telling a player to get over it and you'll do better next time, rather than being a coach and saying hey, catch the ball or im pulling your arse. He's a nice guy.

8. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

He needs to find a happy median there.

Like,
    "Hey brush it off, you'll do better next week, but I don't want to see you make a habit of it, as it will determine if you keep starting or not."

Now, every player pretty much knows if they stink it up for so long, they will lose their job, but to hear it from the coach every now and then tends to put things into perspective sometimes, for the players.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Fisher never has been that great of a coach. He's never fielded a good playing team without a lot of pro-bowl caliber talent. He's the type of coach that is only as good as his draft picks and free agents. If they're not good... his coaching can't compensate.

He gets outcoached in almost every semi-big game there is, and many time by mediocre teams that have no business staying in games with us. And the entire time he watches his 'game plan' fail- yet he never changes it. As if he thinks eventually it'll work and he can hold his head high thinking he made some sort of point to himself.

The team has lost it's identity. On both sides of the ball, and that falls on the hands of the coach.

He also constantly starts crappy vets over more skilled young guys. Makes excuses after games for bad players, his own obvious mistakes, and poor play- but he never takes the blame himself. It's always "well we had 2 plays there that should have/should not have been touchdowns and with/without those, we would have won".

His time is up. He's tried to be fired many times in the past, and I think he's finally there.

10. NYCTitanfan84

NYCTitanfan84 Special Teams Standout

Agreed ! Many people equate the removal of a HC..with him being a bad coach. Thats not always the case. Sometimes there just needs to be a change..and as much as i love and respect Jeff Fisher i honestly think that time is near.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar