Your Top 18 Big Board

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by 2ToneBlueBlood, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

You're making too many assumptions!

First, you're assuming if we could have covered Doyle, they couldn't have thrown a TD to one of their wr's? So covering a TE when the secondary is porous doesn't help that much. Secondly, Foster played a lot of zone. It's not like you're gonna expect him to come in and shutdown Gronk 1v1!

Thirdly, you're again wrong that I think we should just draft to fill our biggest need. Players and draft picks are currency. You use that currency to maximize your teams talent on the field. If you have a glaring deficiency, it needs to be addressed. Does that mean giving up Myles Garret to take Quincy Wilson because we need a cb? No, that's not smart!

But suggesting we are gonna fix our secondary by drafting an ILB is silly. And thinking Foster is gonna make a big impact on this team if we don't seriously upgrade the secondary is even more silly. We were 2nd against the run in yards per game. And where did that get us with the 30th or 31st 'best' pass D by yards? Not in the playoffs and what would we see in the playoffs if we made it? Passing teams!!!

Foster will only be an impact player here if we fix the secondary. There are a variety of ways to do this and that's not to say Foster is a player we don't want. Everyone would want him. But I'm not sure he's as good as you think he is (or so much better than Cunningham, Reddick and Davis) that we can't wait.

Let JRob use his draft 'currency' to match value and need and talent so we get the most out of our draft picks!!!

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Alarm bells going off because he ran a 4.62 doesn't mean he can't play cb in the NFL. It means he's not a first round player and will have to be matched to a scheme or have saftey help over the top. Tabor excels in zone and off man so he could probably play very well in a cover 2 or cover 3 based scheme. or, you take him as a nickel and give him help over the top because he mirrors very well and anticipates very well so he could be a nice player in that role. Again, I wouldn't take that in round 1. He has other problems like run support and off the field concerns so he's in 2-4th round consideration at this point. And due to the depth in this class, he's probably going 3rd at the earliest! Not sure I'd like him at S since he's an ankle biter in run support.

I think Wilson is a 2nd or 3rd depending on how he fits your scheme!

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. 8isGreat

8isGreat Starter Tip Jar Donor

Sorry, but I'm going to have to disappoint you as far as the debate goes. Frankly, there's nothing you said in your reply that I can really disagree with. All are valid points!

This includes the points you made with Humphrey and Wilson; those are definitely valid as well. The problem is we could really use a corner opposite Ryan. Other than Lattimore, Conley, and maybe Tre' White, there's no one in this draft at CB that I believe is worthy of being chosen ahead of Humphrey or Wilson.

Also, I agree, Engram is going to be a nightmare to cover and if we don't take Howard, I want Engram! Wouldn't mind seeing us trade back from #18 to one of the teams looking to move up for a QB; take Engram and pick up a pick in the 2nd in the process.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

Yeah, I probably over dramatized the speed issue. It's more that it knocks him out of the 1st and probably 2nd rounds because that's a pretty big box that he doesn't check as far as being a #1 CB and scheme diverse. Nickel or a team that plays more zone would be an ideal fit for him.

5. Tricky

Tricky Starter

1. Reuben Foster
    2. Jonathan Allen
    3. Myles Garrett
    4. OJ Howard
    5. Malik Hooker
    6. Corey Davis
    7. Derek Barnett
    8. Gareon Conley
    9. Marshon Lattimore
    10. Kevin King
    11. John Ross
    12. Solomon Thomas
    13. Jamal Adams
    14. Mike Williams
    15. Haason Reddick
    16. Marlon Humphrey
    17. David Njoku
    18. Tre'Davious White

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I feel like this is a good place to put this, here's Gil Brandt's Hot 150 prospects list:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...randts-topranked-prospects-for-2017-nfl-draft

He's been doing his big board for 57 years now and is considered the "Godfather" of a lot of the GM ideologies we take for granted these days. He pioneered scouting and grading players, so I always take his big board as a great check for my own evaluations.

Notable observations:
    • John Ross is his highest WR at #10 (M. Williams is at #23)
    • 10 of his top 32 are defensive backs
    • Lattimore and Conley are top 2 CB's
    • Trubisky and Watson made the top 10
    • 30 of top 150 (20%) are DB's - lots of depth at the position

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

You'd take Foster and Allen over Myles Garrett?

Why do you like Conley over Lattimore? Just because of the hammy's or something else?

Solomon Thomas over Adams?

8. 8isGreat

8isGreat Starter Tip Jar Donor

Meh. He has Trubisky and Watson ahead of a guy like Foster?! WTF?!

9. 615nick

615nick Starter

They play qb, which is a way more valuable position. Those things come into play when ranking prospects. Lts, qbs and pass rushers get a boost because of position. If all things were equal, no way anyone would have almost any qb ever in the top 10, think about it.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Keep in mind, Foster needs protecting. He was mostly protected in Alabama's scheme and there were great players everywhere so if he didn't get there, others would. But he is a small LB in the NFL at 6' and 225-230lbs...especially for a MLB. We like our LB's more like 250lbs. Combine his immaturity, lack of elite run instincts, and shoulder concerns and you can make the case for others at a more valuable position.

Watson did put up huge numbers TWICE against the closest thing college football has to an NFL defense and Trubisky has some good traits though like Foster, they are far from perfect prospects!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar