Comparing Derek Carr And Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Feb 17, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Doing a comparison of Derek Carr and Ryan Tannehill and overall they are very close statistically.

One thing i am going to make a prediction on is i think wherever Carr goes next he will have a resurgence and do better where goes next just like Tannehill did.

I do think Carr would do best in a place where he can for once enjoy a good defense and not be playing from behind all the time.

Although Derek Carr probably won't be signed here you really never know what goes down behind the scenes and what ultimately happens.

Carr has in my opinion played well with the Raiders but the one thing that has kept him from winning more is the defense has sucked his whole career there.

Carr's rookie season in 2014 the Raiders had the worst defense in the NFL so look below and see year to year how the defense ranked in points allowed as well as points allowed per game and overall record.

'14--Were 3-13, rank 32nd and allowed 28 pts a game
    '15--Were 7-9, rank 22nd and allowed 25 pts a game
    '16--Were 12-4, rank 20th and allowed 24 pts a game
    '17--Were 6-10, rank 20th and allowed 23 pts a game
    '18--Were 4-12, rank 32nd and allowed 29 pts a game
    '19--Were 7-9, rank 24th and allowed 26 pts a game
    '20--Were 8-8, rank 30th and allowed 29 pts a game
    '21--Were 10-7, rank 26th and allowed 25 pts a game
    '22--Were 6-11, rank 26th and allowed 24 pts a game

How are you supposed to win games when your defense is among the worst every season???

Not making excuses but if he played from behind a lot due to defense giving up points that could affect concentration not to mention he might've been taking chances more often trying to play catch up.

Since 2014 Carr has 33 game winning drives and 28 fourth quarter comebacks which i'm pretty sure is the best for a QB in that time frame.

Carr lead the NFL in game winning drives and fourth quarter comebacks in his second season then the very next season had 7 game winning drives in 2016 so he was playing well early on.

He has made 4 Pro Bowls '15, '16, '17 and '22.

Carr is very durable and in 9 seasons he has played 142 games and only missed 4 games.

Carr has passed for at least 3,500 yards every season except his rookie year and went over 4,000 in four of his last five seasons.

Carr has completed 3201 of 4958 passes, 64% comp rate, 35222 yards, 217 TDs along with 99 INTs with a 91.8 QB rating

I think a good bit of his INTs were due to him trying to catch up with his opponent and trying to make things happen.

As for Tannehill.....

I could be wrong but i'm pretty his problem was the opposite of Carr's in that almost Tannehill's entire career in Miami from his rookie year 2012 through 2018 his last full year there he had poor offensive lines and offenses to deal with and the first year he came to Tennessee he had a much better offense and he played better. He has played well his four years as a Titan.

Tannehill has completed 2914 of 4534 passes, 64% comp rate, 33265 yards, 212 TDs along with 108 INTs with 91.9 QB rating

For his career he had 26 game winning drives and 25 fourth quarter comebacks but only made one Pro Bowl in 2019 with Titans

Below are Tannehill's numbers the four years he has been in Tennessee.....

Tannehill in Tennessee completed 1085 of 1623 passes, 67% comp rate, 12831 yards, 89 TDs along with 33 INTs with 100.5 QB rating.

So lets look side by side at both Carr and Tannehill's career stats.....

Carr completed 3201 of 4958 passes, 64% comp rate, 35222 yards, 217 TDs with 99 INTs plus a 91.8 QB rating & 28 fourth qtr comebacks

Tannehill completed 2914 of 4534 passes, 64% comp rate, 33265 yards, 212 TDs with 108 INTs plus a 91.9 QB rating & 25 fourth qtr comebacks

Overall they are very close statistically and like i said earlier i fully expect Carr to do much better with his new team just like Tannehill.

• Cheers Cheers x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Yep. Very comparable QBs. I would put them on the same "second tier QB" level. Good enough in the right situation but not quite elite. Could certainly do worse at QB but if lucky enough, could do better.

I too think Carr could have a career resurgence of sorts if he goes to the right team. He's always put up the stats but don't think he's been on a consistently good team...so a lot of those stats are "garbage time", trying to play catch up, stats.

• Cheers Cheers x 3
  3. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I think he does better elsewhere too because the raiders as a whole never put together a full team. Even with Mack they had a pretty weak overall D. They invested heavily into Adams this year and he got his numbers and Jacob’s led the league, so once again, it must be the D.

I still think there are teams that he could end up on that prevent a resurgence. Houston for example. Just more than a QB away.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Good replies

I really do think he will have a career resurgence especially in the right situation.

If he goes to the Jets and the defense still plays top notch i think Carr could do enough on offense to turn them into a winner.

He is also very durable isnt injured much is another plus.

5. Afc46

Afc46 Oilers/Titans HoFer

This is one of those "Good" threads during the off-season.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 2
  6. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Either would have some good young weapons in NY, not like Adams but Garrett Wilson looks like he's going to be great.

7. nbtoppers2

nbtoppers2 Pro Bowler

Agreed especially if Hall comes back healthy. Pretty nice offense if they can get a line.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

It’s always the lines, either side of the ball

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. kstone

kstone Starter

And are Oline has been patch work for the last 4 years

10. kstone

kstone Starter

We really should have kept Jack Conklin. Another J Rob mistake.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar