Earl Thomas with our #1 pick!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

:ha: :rolleyes:

Ya, no one knew about a 1st team AA who was 2nd in voting for the Thorpe award and should have won it.

Ya no one knew about the leader of the Texas defense, the #2 team in the country.

Texas is the biggest and most followed school in college football and no one knows who their best defender was?

Yea, Earl Thomas was a complete unknown, and now he is the flavor of the month.

Keep digging, we are all getting a good laugh.

2. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

I'm not sure that safety is our biggest need; especially with not having a 2nd round pick

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

lmao... Oh yes! Everyone thought "Earl Thomas" when talking about the Texas Longhorns this season!

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Since this is the first time you've listed 4 things (eventhough I asked for 5)...we'll start with this.

I asked you for 5 things you look for in a top CB prospect and to show how Thomas doesn't have those traits but Haden/Wilson do. Let's see how you did...

1. Speed - Considering Thomas is as fast or faster than Wilson/Haden, guess this isn't a reason you have for saying he can't play CB.

2. Instincts - Considering Thomas has more passes broken up and more INT's than either of the top CB prospects, it's safe to say the guy has instincts AND ball skills. Clearly this can't be a reason you don't think he can play CB.

3. Footwork - In zone coverage, he has a good backpedal and excellent technique in carrying out his responsibilities. Much like Haden, it's hard to tell how good his footwork is when playing head up man because he hasn't played it much in college. But from what I've seen...same with Haden...he looks like he's got the feet and hips to transition very well. So his unproven footwork is your issue?

4. The ability to cover - Clearly Thomas has demonstrated excellent coverage ability. There is plenty of tape showing him taking WR's out as a nickel CB and providing excellent coverage as a S...which is one of the reasons he has so many passes broken up and int's. Clearly this can't be a reason he can't play CB, right?

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised at your list because you're leaving out a lot of important things in judging an NFL CB prospect. But to each his own. However, I don't see where there are any of your traits you can question about Thomas except perhaps his footwork as a starting CB. But you can make the same case for several of the JR cb's who don't play in a predominantly man scheme. As for your 3 other traits, he equals or exceeds Haden and Wilson...at least in a zone scheme. And we play a zone scheme, right?

As for Nate Allen, he's much slower than Thomas, had only 4 pbu's to Thomas' 33 the last 2 years, had only 5 INT's to Thomas' 10 the last 2 years, and doesn't look like he has the hips, agility, or coverage skills to play CB....and certainly not in a man scheme where his transition issues, coverage, and long speed will be big problems to overcome. Allen is what he is which is why he's not a 1st rnd player. His athleticism or play doesn't give one the sense he has a ton of upside. He's a good safety with range and a good tackler. You were better off with a Burnett analogy.

Let's see how you try to spin logic this time...

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Lol...

He's bigger than Ed Reed...gues he can't play S, huh?

He usually takes good angles actually. Taylor Mays is the guy who could be a big problem with bad angles...

What footwork do you need for which side? Are you talking about for man - press, straight up, inside shade, outside shade, offman, ect...or zone?

Hmmmm...there seem to be plenty of draft experts plus almost everyone who's watched most of Texas' televised games that would disagree with you.

You seem to say a lot of stuff you know is not true...so why do you say them?

As for brainwashing, you're doing a poor job of explaining how Thomas isnt a 1st rnd pick and can't play CB. Even by your own explanation of what you look for, he'd be a first rnd pick compared to Haden and Wilson. Wait, do you think those guys can't play CB either?

Gut

Gut

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I don't know if Thomas will play S or CB for the team that drafts him but what I do know is there is a good chance he sucks so bad he will probably be gone when we have out pick. Gloat may not like the guy but NFL teams seem to. Gosselin's first mock has him going to the Dolphins at 12 and Gosselin is usually pretty accurate about where guys are valued.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon.../stories/041110dnspogosselinmock.441bfe6.html

7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I don't know how knowledgeable the guys on Path to the Draft are but they were saying that there might be as many as 5 DTs taken before Tennessee picks. Most of the mock drafts i've seen has 3, but 5 has to be some kind of record, if that happens it could be that a Derrick Morgan actually falls to us. Not only that but we could see AH traded back to us as well.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

5 DT's or OT's? I don't think there is much chance Suh, McCoy, Odrick, Williams and either Cody or Price are picked in the first 15. I think we'll see 3-4 OT's and 2-3 DT's gone by the time we pick.

Gut

9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Get 'em Gut!!!

10. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

They were talking a run on DTs, and the ones they mentioned were McCoy, Suh, Odrick, Williams, and Price. The teams looking for DT help they mentioned were Detroit, Tampa, Washington, J-ville, San Fran, and Miami.

Of course it's a long shot but you gotta admit, all 5 of those guys are pretty much 1st round worthy and DT is always a premium position.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar