Fire Todd Downing - he is the problem.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by William Wei, Nov 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Wei

William Wei Special Teams Standout

ADDED: As if everything I wrote below isn't bad enough, recently I've seen Todd Downing line up Derrick Henry more and more in the slot and out wide. Clearly, this guy lacks a basic understanding of how to put people in a position to succeed. Derrick Henry is a HOF running back but he's not a receiving back, this is basic 101 stuff. Get Todd Downing the heck out of there, he doesn't belong in an X's and O's roll in the NFL. He should stick to being a positional coach and doing what he does best - getting DUIs.

In Superbowl XXXII, MVP Terrell Davis, who just had a concussion, told then Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan "Coach I can't see". Mike Shanahan told Terrell Davis that they needed him to go in for a bootleg fake, he'd rather have a blind Terrell Davis in the game than anyone else.

They faked the run and won the Superbowl on a naked bootleg.

Could you ever see Todd Downing doing that? Of course not, he's an idiot whose offense is incredibly easy to guess, especially in the second half. First and 10, under center, double tightend set with Derrick Henry lined up extra deep in the backfield = run. Shotgun, Derrick Henry on the bench, 4 wide receivers on the field = pass.

Derrick Henry is on the bench on 3rd and 5.... Why? because he can't catch as well as other backs? Decades of NFL offenses put their Hall of Fame running back out there as a running threat and as a threat on screen plays. To pull him out just because he's not Christian McCaffery is beyond idiotic.

Watching the Titans offense, sometimes I wonder if we are the Peyton Manning led Indianapolis Colts. There are so many shotgun formations anytime we get into 2nd and long. The team benches Derrick Henry and has the QB (regardless of who it is, apparently) line up shotgun with spread formation as if we are running the Star Wars offense out there - why?

Henry is a great blocking back, he's also lethal on a screen or draw play, only an idiotic OC doesn't see the value of putting him out there as a potential threat. Derrick Henry is current touching the ball plenty at 25+ times a game. The problem is that it is obvious when he's getting the ball and when he isn't. He doesn't need the ball more each game, but he needs to be physically out there so that the threat of him getting the ball is apparent.

The shotgun formation plays need to stop, Tannehill is a serviceable quarterback but he's not freaking Peyton Manning. Tannehill is a pretty athletic guy and they should be getting him outside of the pocket on playaction bootlegs. In fact, 90% of the plays should be under center, playaction naked bootlegs, screens, RPOs, etc., etc. Instead, I'm watching an offensive coordinator run a star wars offense like they have Randy Moss and Tom Brady out there.

Fire this guy, it literally cannot get worse than him.

#1 William Wei, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
    • Cheers Cheers x 4
    • High Five High Five x 2
  2. DaCost

DaCost Starter

I don't want to defend Downing because last year he was awful with Aj and Julio .

But this year he doesn't stand a chance with the WRs in this roster.

3. 8Bruce8

8Bruce8 Starter

I don't get it. Vrabs and him must be best buds. This guy has shown total ineptitude in his role and yet we're still having to watch his lame ass play calling. The fact we can score in the 1st but can't do anything in the 2nd shows he can't do his job. How can the offense do what's asked of them in the 1st to get points and get **** all in the 2nd. Because he can't call plays on the fly. If gameplan is blown he can't comeback from it.

Hate the fact we are going to have to wait till the end of the season for a change.... maybe. But ffs we could be soo much better now.

4. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

Downing syndrome has destroyed this team!! Vrabel not wanting to fire his yes man is his downfall

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Carp

Carp Starter

I get your point, but I'm pretty sure no coach these days would be putting in a RB with a concussion who couldn't see. Even as decoy.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

So to sum it up...he's bad regardless of the WRs?
    He's a turd...time to flush

• LOL LOL x 1
  7. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Sure, Derrick Henry isn’t Marshall Faulk, but he has caught every pass thrown at him, and every screen has resulted in positive yards. So I don’t see the issue with leaving him in on passing plays? Unless the coaches think he’s trash at blocking? He’s not great at it, but I don’t think he’s terrible either

8. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

his job is to design plays that fit the players' skills

he's not doing that, at all

no excuse

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  9. TitanMark

TitanMark Pro Bowler

Todd downing is horrible. Needs to be fired.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Isn’t there already a fire Downing thread?

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar