The Official Thread of the 2020 QB Class

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by XO, Sep 20, 2019.

?
  1. Tua Tagovailoa

2. Justin Herbert

3. Jake Fromm

4. Steven Montez

5. Jacob Eason

6. K.J. Costello

7. Joe Burrow

8. Jordan Love

9. Kellen Mond

10. Jalen Hurts

11. Other: Name below

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Ok. What does that change about my point?
    Lefty QB are not succeeding in the NFL with maybe 2 exceptions across our 100 year celebration.
    I mean, I guess Tua is just ready to break the mold.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I would say 4 -- Young, Stabler, Esiason, Brunell

And baseball not the reason, lots of kids still play both:

[​IMG]

3. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Then successful lefty pitchers should be pretty freakin rare.

4. Tuckfro42

Um, if there are drastically fewer lefties who play QB, it would follow that drastically fewer would be successful. And, guys like Young, Stabler, and Brunell already broke the mold.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. HurrayTitans!

So you’re saying the lack of left handed successful QBs is due to low numbers rather than because they are lefties?
    I’d say that lack of numbers is related to the lack of successful lefties.
    Similar to your comparison to lefty pitchers being coveted in baseball, I see this as an opposite in football. Less numbers do to less opportunities. I bet some of this starts at the college level, definately at the NFL level.
    I bet there are GMs that are already crossing Tua off their draft board (Or at least dropping hm largely) just for being a lefty.

Not sure what “ist” that falls under, but if a player can prove it......

6. Tuckfro42

It starts at the youth leagues. Like I said, the overwhelming opinion is if a kid is left handed and can throw, make him a pitcher. If GMs are crossing Tua off their boards for being a lefty, those GMs won’t have jobs for very long. Asinine reasoning.

7. HurrayTitans!

I agree with some of the push for lefties and pitching. I don’t think it’s merely coincidence otherwise that lefties and the NFL don’t mix.

As far as GMs crossing him off, there’s plenty of other reasons I suppose to cross him off too. If there’s doubt and you need a tie breaker one way or the other, go ahead and consider he’s a lefty.
    I can say if Tennessee were looking to go QB in this draft, I’d be hoping for a hard pass entirely on Tua outside some massive slide where he could be gotten for a 5th or 6th. That’s not just for being lefty.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. Tuckfro42

Okay. Go look at successful lefties in other sports. They are rare. Baseball has the most by a huge margin. Only 10% of the entire population is left handed. Extrapolate that to the minuscule percentage of the population that actually plays professional sports and it’s pretty amazing we can name 10 starting NFL QBs who are left handed. The sole reason there aren’t many successful left handed QBs is because there aren’t many left handed atheletes and the ones that are mainly get pushed to play baseball.

9. HurrayTitans!

Did some research on the matter. NFL history has only 22 left handed QBs (technically Pat White was WR). I’d say 5 would be considered “good”. That’s a pretty good success rate but overall well less than 10% of NFL QBs are (lefties compared to general population 10%). Probably more like .05% or even less. (Maybe 600+ QBs historically? Couldn’t find an exact #).
    Not disagreeing with your take on other sports taking some, but I think there’s enough to say the stereotype does fit (in addition to other reasons).

The 5 “good” lefties:
    Stabler, esiason, Young, brunell, Vick.

Some bubble choices (0 pro bowls among them)
    Zorn, Bobby Douglass, Scott Mitchell(?)

The rest:
    Frankie Albert (46-52), terry baker (63-65), David Humm (75-84), Paul McDonald, Todd Marinovich, Doug Nussemier, Cade McNown, Chris Simms, Jared lorenzen, Tyler Palko, Matt leinert, Tim Tebow, kellen moore, pat white(?).

Another stat I noticed looking these guys up is the rushing ability. Large % are decent runners which makes me wonder about the correlation regarding the “backwards” offense mentioned by someone else.
    Vick, Douglass, Young, brunell are all time rushing QB leaders.
    Albert, Baker (more of a RB than QB in his day anyway), Humm, mcnown, Tebow all had a decent rushing season the year (or more) that they were actually playing.

Really never played:
    Nussmeier, lorenzen, palko

So, Tua is not by definition going to be a bad QB because he’s a lefty, but he’s already defied odds just by being a lefty and the large majority of NFL QB history says he’s going to struggle.
    I’d argue if he (or any other QB) went to a team that had a lefty, I bet their chances to succeed go up because the entire offense has already made adjustments.

10. Tuckfro42

WTF are you even arguing about? You proved my point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar