Titans OC Todd Downing might be the least popular person in Nashville right now.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by KyTitansFan, Sep 12, 2022.

  1. Titans2004

    Titans2004 Pro Bowler

    4,956
    1,607
    659
    It drives me crazy that on our short yardage plays that we bring everyone in tight to the formation which just puts extra defenders into the box...just put 2 WRs out wide ....this takes 2 CBs and a safety out of the box.

    My guess is that this week we will see play action off of it with Hollister running a route. It is the only reason to keep running that formation
     
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. Johnnyb

    Johnnyb RTR

    1,673
    770
    519
    I have no idea how there are still coordinators calling that kind of crap. Just think about it logically: The odds of someone missing a block goes up the more people you pull in tight.

    The odds of at least 1 player missing a block goes up the more guys you asking to block in tight. If a WR misses his block on an inside run, it has no effect on a play. But a TE missing their block is huge.

    Just to put numbers to this, a normal offensive lineman has a run blocking win rate of somewhere between 85-95%. Let's just average that to a 90% win rate (which is extremely generous given that half the blockers in this scenario are TE and/or FB, who don't have as high of a win rate). The probability that all 9 players will win their block is just 10%.

    If you spread everyone out and only ask the 5 OL to win their blocks, the probability nearly doubles to 18% odds of success.

    That's just winning at the line of scrimmage for the number of guys you can block. As you alluded to, spreading out the formation also provides the benefit of pulling Safety's out of the box so you don't have the numbers disadvantage. Spreading people out puts the numbers advantage back on the offense. Most teams try to cover two WR with 3 DB's. So in a scenario where you have twins to each side, that makes the defense allocate 6 players to cover 4 offensive players.

    No matter how you cut it, spreading defenses out is a better way to run the ball. But our OC still wants to run bunch sets and run straight into walls of defenders. Not to mention that Henry can steam roll DB's much easier than DL and LB's. It's completely insane.
     
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. GoT

    GoT Strength and Honor

    64,793
    18,439
    1,659
    talking about crap coaching...

    I noticed on, I am pretty real sure it was the 4th & 15 play, the RIGHT cb playing within a few yards of the wr prior to the snap... and a Titan coach ( I have no idea who ) ran towards the cb motioning like a crazy man to MOVE BACK...

    just proof to me that the soft corners, for more than a decade now, is a philosophical thing and the cb's probably want to get a shove at the LoS to throw off timing

    the play went to the other side FWIW
     
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Aqutis30

    Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

    9,496
    2,777
    809
    I honestly think this coaching staff has no problem letting them go down three quarters of the field and start playing actual defense when the field is much shorter. Our CB's get absolutely destroyed when they play zone and have large swathes of field to cover.
     
    • Cheers Cheers x 2
  5. TitanJeff

    TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

    30,003
    11,184
    1,769
    7E51C9E2-3632-476E-87AC-2C6ED5725341.png
    I vote we go Emery & Henry.
     
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Titanic_Sub

    Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

    5,385
    1,403
    679
    20220928_015141.jpg

    The only teams that are more stubborn about running than us:

    -Back up QB
    -Back up QB
    -Back up QB and played in a monsoon
    -Bears who also played in a monsoon

    I hate this offense
     
    • High Five High Five x 1
  7. Titanic_Sub

    Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

    5,385
    1,403
    679
    Per @SharpFootball:

    #Titans   ’ opponents are averaging 14.0 red zone plays per game, the most in the league.

    Titans have run just 14 total red zone plays, 31st in the league.
     
    • WTF?! WTF?! x 1
  8. Dangermode

    Dangermode A New Era has Begun

    5,627
    2,099
    699
    My thought is they use bunch formations because they don’t trust the O line to do their jobs.
     
  9. Hormesis

    Hormesis Pro Bowler

    4,816
    1,463
    539
    You keep up this late night pace, you’ll be up front on erry thread! Go for it! :beer:
     
  10. Dangermode

    Dangermode A New Era has Begun

    5,627
    2,099
    699
    On vacation in Greece. 10am here. Trying to bury the AJ thread
    :biglaugh:
     
    • High Five High Five x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

    Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

    For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

    Hit the Tip Jar