Your Top 5 1st Round Picks

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by MaxPayne, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Assuming...

It's hard to predict who will and won't be available...

Of the players I think will be there...

WR Harvin or Nicks - perhaps it's wishful thinking, but DeSean Jackson fell quite a ways out of rnd 1. Harvin is a more explosive playmaker but has the 3 no no's of 1st rnd WR's...he's 'injury prone,' he's a tweener (rb or wr), and 5'11. In say 10 touches a game, he would be a significant weapon...especially if VY is our QB. Nicks would be the opposite. He would provide a very reliable target with excellent hands and a strong physical presence. While Harvin will elude after the catch, Nicks will run thru!

OC Alex Mack - an excellent OC prospect. Mawae has been a nice player for us, but he is declining and Mack can probably match his play in year one and be a strength at the pivot for a decade.

CB Alphonzo Smith, Steve Smith, Darius Butler, or Mickens - A.Smith can play with anyone but is very small at just UNDER 5'9. Steve Smith is the opposite at 6'2 1/2 and reminds you more of an Asomugha. Butler is a weak tackler but an excellent zone CB but has the thin build of a Samari Rolle. Mickens is a top notch CB but will go higher or lower depending on his combine. Scouts worry he's slow and also had a knee injury.

Darkhorse picks...

RB Shonn Greene - Yeah, I know...another First rnd RB? Greene is the Thunder we hoped White would be. White can be traded and we can cut Henry. Greene is a beast and has everything but elite speed. I don't hope for this because that would be investing a ton of money and talent into one position, but the Titans have done stranger things and Greene could actually pay dividends next season.

DE Michael Johnson, Robert Ayers / LB Laurinaitis, Cushing, Matthews - Johnson is the most intriguing but also the biggest boom/bust player. He's a freaky athlete but opting out of Senior Bowl practices and the game when you're healthy says a lot about you desire to compete. Ayers is not as good a pass rusher but a solid overall DE. Laurinaitis could upgrade MLB but I don't think it's worth it if you consider MLB plays only 50% of the time. Cushing is all over the place on people's boards. Matthews is fast rising up the charts and looks to be a very good football player...but is he an OLB or a DE?

Hope - it is highly unlikely but possible for Curry to drop if Cushing, Laurinaitis, Mualuga, and Aybin are chosen as LB's. Aybin could also drop to us if 3-4 teams don't feel they need to draft him in rnd 1 and 4-3 teams aren't sure he can play RDE. He can rush the passer though!!!

Gut

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I tend to agree about Michael Johnson, but I do like his size and speed looking at it objectively, and he had pretty decent production this year. I didn't think a lot of the other top guys necessarily exceeded him by large degrees in pertinent categories this year, such as tackles for loss and sacks, and when you consider how Jason Jones is really the only guy on the line we know is going to be here for the next three years, I threw my last pick toward the line, even though I didn't really like it. It was just about covering the bases, except QB, which I stay away from.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Gut -

I like the other CBs - Butler, Sean Smith, and Mike Mickens, but I do tend to see them all in round two, with Butler and Smith going before we pick. We'll see what's up with Mickens. The only thing I'm worried about is the Ghost of Andre Woolfolk. We picked the third corner in 2003 at #28. I just don't want a repeat of history with this pick. I'm also thinking that Smith might surpass D.J.Moore and even Vontae Davis, and for some reason I'm not as crazy about Moore. I don't know what it is. Ayers and Matthews, since we pick so late in the rounds, I would consider in two, but I feel like it's more hype of the USC linebackers than anything that is pushing Matthews this high, especially with the guarantee that Maualuga, and via him, Cushing, are going higher than expected. If Cushing fell, I don't know that I'd take him. Ayers is a good all around DE, but just not special enough to me to consider in one. I hope like last year, rounds one and two are for guys the Titans are fairly sure are special players.

4. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

realisticly..

1. Heyward-Bey
    2. Macho Harris
    3. Percy Harvin
    4. Jeremy Maclin
    5. Kenny Britt

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Percy harvin is a RB prospect more than a WR prospect and we don't need a speed back. He was a good SEC WR but he was an awesome runner and was used more that way. Anyone who can average 9.5 yards a carry against sec defenses is a RB!

Not sure what desean jackson has in comparison because jackson obviously fell because of his size. 167 lbs. If jackson was 200 lbs he would have been gobe by the 15th pick.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't see enough people looking for DTs. AH will probably not be here.

With kearse-ball-kvb-hayes-ford under contract going into next year i'm not sure where people are seeing the need for a DE but many are. A physical run stopping kevin carter type might be nice but we need a real DT not a hybrid.

7. MaxPayne

MaxPayne 1st Team

I just was saying in round 1....we will see guys remember to save what you wrote..who called out (Chris Johnson last year)

-MaxPayne2k

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Again, it's like last year. You can't force something that isn't there. At least not in the first.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um....

Yes, Desean is 5'9 1/2 and 169lbs. People were saying he can't play outside due to his size...he'll get killed. Seemed to be just fine while also returning punts.

Harvin avg'd a TD every 7 rushes as a RB, but also a TD every 5+ catches. A 9.5 ypc is ridiculous, but a 16.1 ypc avg ain't bad for a WR. Maclin and Crabtree's YPC were in the 12's. Sounds like Harvin can do both. Play WR and also line up in the backfield for a run or go out for a pass. Either way, he causes huge mismatch problems for defenses and helps us.

And Harvin won't be considered a RB prospect for 2 reasons. First, that's not his primary position anymore. Second, the injury concerns will have teams shy away from him as anything but a change of pace RB. However, he can start at WR.

Gut

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Easy...

They are seeing a need for DE because KVB was hurt a chunk of the time and we didn't get much pass rush out of Kearse. Funny, he's a much better run defender now. Plus, the backups are unkowns if they are gonna turn into legitimate pass rushers or if they will stay backups. Easier to draft a pass rushing monster in rnd 1 and feel happy. Of course, our 3 biggest threats to getting to the Superbowl are the Steelers, Colts, and Pats. We need a heck of a pass rush to feel good about beating them. And if you use the Giants philosophy (and one of the biggest reasons they beat the Pats in the SB), was to have too many pass rushers instead of not enough. Strahan, Umenyora, Tuck, and Kiwanuka!

If we lose AH, we will need better quality pass rushers at DE!

And if AH leaves, I doubt we can take a DT in rnd 1. I think there are only 2 guys worthy of that round (Raji and Jerry) and I don't think either would be avilable. And if AH leaves, we'd really need a Raji type more than a Jerry. Jerry is like Brown and Jason Jones...a little small but good pass rusher and penetrator. Not good vs stacking the double team.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar